Science Forums

Water Filtration?

kdinu

I've been on here asking about ideas for my science project and all of you have helped so much. Finally I've found a quick simple idea. How does the earth filter water compared to commercial processes?

To be more specific on my idea I'm doing my project on the way in which water is filtered by sinking through layers of rock in the earth, and hopefully finding a commercial method that is similar to this. I'm hoping you can suggest ideas.

Can anyone give me helpful links to sites talking about this?

I've been searching, but I can't find anything that deals with rocks and charcoal which is where my project is based.

Thank you

Olivia a.k.a. Kdinu

I've been on here asking about ideas for my science project and all of you have helped so much. Finally I've found a quick simple idea. How does the earth filter water compared to commercial processes?

To be more specific on my idea I'm doing my project on the way in which water is filtered by sinking through layers of rock in the earth, and hopefully finding a commercial method that is similar to this. I'm hoping you can suggest ideas.

Can anyone give me helpful links to sites talking about this?

I've been searching, but I can't find anything that deals with rocks and charcoal which is where my project is based.

Thank you

Olivia a.k.a. Kdinu

Using a 4 foot long PVC pipe 4" in diameter, interleave alternating layers of clean sand and activated charcoal.

To clean your own sand, flush it with clean water to float off the contaminats until outflowing water runs clear, then boil the sand to kill protazoa. Activated charcoal is commercially available at pet stores or find instructions on the web to make your own.

Best practice is to boil the water you get from the filter before drinking. :naughty: