Science Forums

NJ justices poised to rule on Gay marriage

Edella

Yes, you can believe what you want, as you always have Turtle. I believe that is what the term bigot meant.

Originally Posted by wiki

A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles or identities differing from their own. The origin of the word in English dates back to at least 1598, via Middle French, and started with the sense of religious hypocrite, especially a woman.

Bigot is often used as a pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to their prejudices even when these views are challenged or proven to be false. Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views.

Note the second half of the definition did say that it is often used as a pejorative. It does not say it is always used. I noted that the first half of the definition, applied to everyone who rails against someone for the sole purpose of having a different opinion, which has been the common stance particularly of yourself, young shelled one.

Yes,

you can believe what you want, as you always have Turtle.

I believe that is what the term bigot meant.

The yes was sufficient.

Did you mean you 'believed' and have changed your mind, or that bigot meant one thing at one time and something different at another and you still believe it?

Note the second half of the definition did say that it is often used as a pejorative. It does not say it is always used.

Correct, but my retort was meant to imply you so used it; the pot calling the kettle black as they say.

I noted that the first half of the definition, applied to everyone who rails against someone for the sole purpose of having a different opinion, which has been the common stance particularly of yourself, young shelled one.

No, I rail for the sole purpose of pointing out error, and well, a little for you because I have a special affection for how often you are wrong and proud of it so sayeth the Lord and gays shouldn't marry in New Jersey or anywhere so sayeth Chuck sayeth the Bible sayeth the Lord. Just because I'm 18 doesn't mean I can't go toe to toe with you Chuck when it comes to textual knowledge and its exegesis.

You're playing to win, I'm playing to draw, therefore you either lose or draw.

Post Script I detect a faint whif of humor in your retort, and that goes to your favor. Are you flirting with me? :phones: Keep working on your wit, you are half way there.