Science Forums

Flags of Our Fathers

Jim Colyer

Clint Eastwood directed this tale of the battle for Iwo Jima in World War II. 6 Americans, 5 marines and a navy corpman, raised a flag on Mount Suribachi. A newspaper photographer took the picture which became an icon. 3 of the men in the picture were killed in the battle. Eastwood's movie is based on a book written by James Bradley, the son of one of the survivors. 6,821 Americans and 21,000 Japanese died on this island 500 miles from Tokyo. Eastwood attempts to show the tragedy of war and the tenuous nature of heroism. I grew tired of being told there is no such thing as a hero. Although the story is interesting, the movie is boring to young audiences.

Although the story is interesting, the movie is boring to young audiences.
It is? I would think it would bring in the slasher movie crowd: supposedly lots of blood n' guts (like *actual* guts spilling out)... :shrug:

I can't stomach this kind of stuff myself (I've never watched Saving Private Ryan, although I know I should), but I'd go see it simply because Clint did it! He's one of my favorites from when I was a kid and got to meet him a bunch of times because a family friend worked on lots of his movies. He's really an amazingly self-effacing guy who gets people to do amazing things as a result.

I really would hope that some of this "ancient history" makes some impact on the last generation or two: its important to not forget the past...

Santayanayanayanaing,

Buffy