Science Forums

Upcoming Meteor Shower

Noah

On November 19th the Leonid meteor shower is going to be at its peak. It is expected to be the last good Leonids for quite a while.

To observe, you do not need any special equipment, just your eyes and a comfortable place to sit/lay down and warm clothes and maybe some snacks. Try to find a dark spot away from city lights and sky-glow with a good onobstucted view of the west. Allow 15-30 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the low light. The Moon is going to be full during this years Leonids and will block 1/2 of them or more, but many will still be visable. To reduce the affects of the Moon light some, if possible observe from a location with a hill/mountain blocking the Moon.

While the main radiant will be coming from the constellation Leo rising in the east, there will be others coming from all directions. I would suggest you get out about 12-1am to allow time for your eyes to adjust.

I hope to hear reports on how it was if any of you try to observe the Leonids this year, and I would highly reccomend you do!

Noah

Here are some links that gives more information.

Space.com Information on the 2002 Leonids

NASA Science

Meteor Storm Forecast

Astronomy.com-Waiting for Leonids

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MoonChaser! I did not get a chance to get out at its MAX the morning of the 19th, but I got out a short while this morning at 2:30-3:00 and didn't spot a one. Maybe I will be around in 97 years when it is supposed to be as good as it was last year and the year before

Noah

"Keep Looking Up!" J.H.

I was out at 8p.m. for some pre-shower binocular viewing. clouds were at a minimum... a few cirrus clouds offered the largest lunar halo that I've ever seen! the meteors didn't start coming until 11:30. from then until 3:30 (I had to go home after that to get some sleep as I had to be at work at 7a.m.), I counted 59 meteors... 3 of which were not leonids, 5 fireballs and 1 bollide that split into 4-5 pieces. some had extremely long tails... one of which traversed 3/4 of the entire sky!

I was out for last years shower, also during the same time periods for the same reasons. I counted 77 but, nothing extraordinary.