Science Forums

What really is supernatural?

hallenrm

Lately this word has been often used in different forumsin Hypography, especially in the context of the word religion. Often people say that they do not believe in any religio because religions invariably rely on God which is a supernatural entity, and having a scientific temper they are oppopsed to anything that require a faith in supernatural.

Just to get a quick hash on the word I went through the article on Wikipedia about Supernatural

Here are a few quotes from the article:

the term supernatural is contrasted with the term natural, which presumes that some events occur according to natural laws, and others occur to a separate set of laws which we cannot perceive, because they are caused by forces external to [nature]. Some believe in forces beyond what is commonly considered natural while others believe all forces can be described as natural.

.....long before the concept of experimental science, some historians of magic think the supernatural is a surviving form of magic. In the human quest for understanding and survival, magic may be seen as a complement to science. Both science and magic stem from the human imagination, observation and contemplation; but, whereas science requires time, resources, curiosity and flexibility, magic provides an immediate solution, more appealing to the unscientific mind, and requiring few or no resources. There have been many ways in which people have sought to use both magic and science in hopes of empowering humanity for an improvement and longevity of life and to achieve a clearer picture of humanity's place in the cosmos.

While the exact definition varies, any concept of supernaturality requires that supernatural phenomena are not accessible by the scientific method. Contrary to common prejudices, science is not restricted to laboratory experiments but can be based on any form of experience. If a phenomenon is by definition outside of the realm of science, it therefore cannot be experienced and has by definition no impact on our lives.

Our knowledge of the world is continuously increasing. Some phenomena, once assumed supernatural, can today be explained by scientific theories, while others could be dismissed as myths. Volcanoes were once considered deities and natural calamities the actions of gods and people sacrificed animals or even other people to please their gods. If our current understanding is the gauge of supernaturality, its realm is ever decreasing and very subjective.

Now, here is my question to my fellow Hypographers. Do you find this topic worth engagement for a discussion?

If, yes what are your personal opinions on this subject?

I am waiting very anxiously for your response! :Alien:

Thanks Ugaibhu, I really forgot about that thread, though I had myself posted on it.

Anyway, Hypography is dynamic, it changes everyday, whether it be because of its users at a particular moment, or the evolution of thoughts of its old users. Here are some definitions of supernatural from the earlier thread:

Supernatural: Just a word that expresses events or circumstances which we don't fully understand.

The word 'supernatural' is commonly used by many folks to describe things which are thought beyond our eventual understanding. About this view, I must disagree. All events and circumstances have defineable reasons, given enough time and resources we could determine the basis and cause........Infy

Why should we regard anything that we don't currently understand as being supernatural? Isn't this just an excuse to quit looking for the truth?

Supernatural means "above nature" and hence something not constrained by the laws of nature. Such things either don't exist or, if one believes they do, are a quite different thing from something we don't currently understand, or a law of nature we don't yet know; to these I wouldn't apply the term supernatural.

Supernatural (adj.) - beyond the normal; not to be explained naturally.

Not "above nature". >>> above rational explanation.

I suppose this could include UFO's, and stuff along those lines as well.

Supernatural being in my thinking, that outside our concieved and decided box of reality.

By my reasoning, anything that is truely supernatural is not experiencable by this universe, and therefore of no consquence.

I was suggesting that everything is natural, but some things are as yet unexplained... not "super" natural.

Gravity is super, but not supernatural.

I think for the most part supernatural just refers to people centric ideas of what could be.

Well, I must express my current opinion too! :Alien:

My current opinion is that supernatural is a transitory adjective. What is supernatural now can very well be natural sometime later!!! :hihi:

Do you find this topic worth engagement for a discussion?

Threads that are essentially nothing more than a discussion of the meaning of a term never get much further than that.

If the word is not already meaningful enough within the context you'd want to use it, use another one or qualify it.

-- RH.