Science Forums

Vista Rant

I know i'm no windows person, but i had a chance to play with vista on one of our computers at school (64 bit x2s with 4 gigs of ram and nvidia graphics cards).

Just so you know, it was worse then i have expected it, a lot worse, like ions worse...

first what the hell do you need those game pannels and weather and stuff on the side of your operating environment for? In mac its cool because press a button, they are there, press a button, they are not. but on windows, i was pissed...

second, navigation, you think XP is a bit discombobulating and hard to find things in? Vista is about 10 times worse, things look and feel totally different and you find things in the most unexpected places...

task manager almost crashed the box, it blanked the screen for about 3 seconds and keyboard lights dissapeared.

it takes 544!!! MEGS OF RAM AFTER BOOT.... there are memory leaks too, like if yo start IE, then close it, your RAM use goes up to 575Megs, and does not go down, MS claims to start the app faster the next time... well i can unload an app from memory in OS X by forcing it to quit, windows does not present the option, and what is even better, when you click start, 2 more megs of ram get hogged away for the menu to operate.

True transparency is nice, only wincrap is the last os to actually visually support it. Now, technically XP supported true transparency, but you could not actually use it unless you were a real windows hacker (oxymoron) or ran a different window manager...

Registry is still the same thing as it has always been since like windows 95... i swear they are still building on that.

You have to click 4 separate ok/yes windows every time you come up with a flash website/image in IE.

The filesystem still fragments... WTH? arent we in like 21 century?

It really is a Hogzilla, i dont see why you people would want to go and pay 350-400 dollars for vista when it comes out, you'd be better off throwing your money out on ther street then buying vista.

here is a screenshot... enjoy...

I will definitely NOT invest it Vista.

I miss DOS. True story. And, as far as I'm concerned, I got a computer to run applications. The Operataing System is simply there to make the hardware accessable to the applications. Now Microsoft is doing a true prima donna act and making the OS take over all the hardware resources in the known universe.

Answer me honestly, now: Have you bought an expensive computer to play around with the Operating System?!?!?! Or have you bought an expensive computer so that you can run hardware-intensive applications, but found out that your applications must stand at the very end of the queue like poor beggars, hat in hand, hoping for a slice of memory or a piece of processor, only because the Operating System includes crappy, useless features aimed at sixteen-year old girls with zits and bored secretaries? What the hell do you want to do with a weather indicator on your OS? Stick your head out the window, you stupid loser! What the hell do you want to do with card games on your OS? What the hell do you want to do with any faux application on your OS? A plumber is a notoriously bad dentist. By the same argument, an OS manufacturer has nothing on application vendors. Get the OS, a pure, true OS with nothing on - just a gateway for apps to access the hardware. And then get the apps of your choice.

I do a lot of graphic designs for my customers. I have ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to have the complete card set for universal wastes of time like Solitaire, or widgets like a weather indicator or crap like Messenger or a graphics-intensive OS interface or any such crap to permanently squat in my registry, nay, to infest my memory.

BRING BACK DOS.

If I want to play solitaire, all I'd have to do is the following:

C:cd sol

C:SOL

C:SOLdir *.exe

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is C05C-F8C0

Directory of C:SOL

2006/03/24 02:28 PM 326,465 sol.exe

C:SOLsol

...and you type sol and whack enter.

Sounds like a lot of work, but there's zero memory load for crap you're not using at the time. The OS doesn't even take ANY graphics processing.

Windows blows.

Have you bought an expensive computer to play around with the Operating System?!?!?!

as i have said:

i had a chance to play with vista on one of our computers at school (64 bit x2s with 4 gigs of ram and nvidia graphics cards)

Or have you bought an expensive computer so that you can run hardware-intensive applications, but found out that your applications must stand at the very end of the queue like poor beggars, hat in hand, hoping for a slice of memory or a piece of processor, only because the Operating System includes crappy, useless features aimed at sixteen-year old girls with zits and bored secretaries?

no i did not buy any hardware to play with it, no i did not buy vista to play with it... i'd never do something that dumb! and no, vista is too hard for 16 year old girls, the interface really is not intuitive.

What the hell do you want to do with a weather indicator on your OS? Stick your head out the window, you stupid loser!

lol, i used to have an app that did forecast like that, except it took like 1/50 of the ram that vista weather applet takes... no wonder many windows admins are blocking vista out and not converting. Imagine if you start office with vista, i think thats like 7-800 megs of ram right out!

What the hell do you want to do with card games on your OS? What the hell do you want to do with any faux application on your OS? A plumber is a notoriously bad dentist. By the same argument, an OS manufacturer has nothing on application vendors. Get the OS, a pure, true OS with nothing on - just a gateway for apps to access the hardware. And then get the apps of your choice.

dude, this is a fresh install of vista, as it comes from microcrap. about the install though, it actually froze 1/2 way through the install and we had to restart it, also the nvidia, any graphics card drivers blow on vista, and you now need a supported graphics card with 3d accell to play solitare and minesweeper on vista (so horrible...)

i call it my traumatic experience with vista, what can i say, it was really bad...

Wait until they get to delivery. I am sure they will be ready. Everything about windows is configurable. You can show or hide every element, and customize them to look how you want. The memory footprint is going to be big, I am sure. Probably much bigger than it needs to be. But they have the distinct disadvantage of being every two bit POS hacker's favorite target, while at the same time having the responsibility of providing secure operations to businesses all over the world.

I work in what is essentially a total microsoft environment. And I must say that since the advent of XP it has been solid as a rock. I really didn't like the new look and feel of the OS after using 98, NT and 2000. But once I got into it I would not trade it back. I anticipate a similar adjustment to Vista. And if I don't want to I can always set it into an "XP" mode or a "Classic" mode and have it the way I have gotten used to. That type of flexibility is part of what adds to the huge footprint. But MS has to be innovative, while at the same time keeping things the way people are familiar with them.

The sad fact is that nobody is out there competing with them in any serious way. If is is so damn easy to write and support an OS then where is the viable alternative? And it cannot be open source. The demands of business stability mean that SOMEONE must be ultimatly accountable for the software performing. You don't get that with open source. If I have MS issues they are on it, any time of the day or night. Where is that with open source? It is for hobbists and tinkerers. It is not the platform you want to run in your office computers.

Bill

Twice the cost. But a good start. Compatibility with windows is a must. Otherwise you cannot exchange documents with windows base companies. We did an exploration on moving away from MS Office to one of the alternatives and found that there are compatibility issues that prevent us from operating as a business unless we stick with MS Office, in things as simple as sharing spreadsheets with vendors and customers.

Bill

They do make Office for the Mac. The base mac mini, which is what you would need for Business computing is around $500. The new Mac Pros are absolutely the best deal you can get on a workstation class machine.

Also, the HFS+ compatibility issues of the past are largely solved.

The real "problem" with macs is that there is a lot of pretty specialized software that can't be run on it. AutoCAD for instance - which is pretty much a show stopper for a lot of people. Or ArcGIS.

TFS

oh, i'm sure that Boerseun was not making fun of me, but rather joining the rant :lol:

yes they do make office for mac, and you would be happy to know that its a completely different developers/code/division working on it, but really, get openoffice for OS X and your problems are 98% of the time solved

M$ linux is ok, i gues, i mean the original creator of Gentoo worked in that lab for a while, it should be at least 1/2 ok, and it is linux, so its already better then windows.

Wait until they get to delivery. I am sure they will be ready. Everything about windows is configurable. You can show or hide every element, and customize them to look how you want. The memory footprint is going to be big, I am sure. Probably much bigger than it needs to be. But they have the distinct disadvantage of being every two bit POS hacker's favorite target, while at the same time having the responsibility of providing secure operations to businesses all over the world.

that sounds like a really long oxymoron. They are a target because they suck at making their OSes secure. Vista has already cut back on a lot of stuff they said was going to be supported in Vista, like WinFS that was supposed to not fragment, now their solution is an FS that gets defragmented when you are not actively using your computer. They can't even get the FS right!

I like their claims that now you can plug in your usb thumb drive to make your computer have "more ram", which is really swap space they are talking about. Now i'm no expert, but there are a few things that are lame and wrong about it: USB, even 2 is slow as hell compared to ram or hard drive access, so how does it speed up the system? and this is the main argument, they are saying that you can pull the thumb drive out at any time during operation with no consequences what-so-ever, that means that whatever gets written to the drive gets backed up somewhere else, probably the harddrive, then tell me how would plugging in a USB stick accelerate your computer performance?

Oh, you can set it to XP mode, however the menus dont change, only the outside looks do. Also, do you even have machines powerful enough to run vista? we are looking at desktops that are at least 3 GHz, with at least a gig of ram and a 128 meg graphics card that is well supported and has 3d acceleration, because now to even play solitare you need 3d accell. Also i feel sorry that you havent gotten a chance to work in a real, non M$ environment, it must suck working with all M$ stuff, i mean limited to no configurability, log in times of like a minute and a half, dealing with the dumbest concept of registry, constant memory hogging, an unstable production envoronment, viruses, antiviruses... it must be as close to hell as it goes...

Compatibility with windows is a must. Otherwise you cannot exchange documents with windows base companies. We did an exploration on moving away from MS Office to one of the alternatives and found that there are compatibility issues that prevent us from operating as a business unless we stick with MS Office, in things as simple as sharing spreadsheets with vendors and customers.

And that's the sad thing, you see. The mentality of "We have to run MS because everybody else is running MS", regardless of MS sucking some serious ***. There are plenty startups with brilliant ideas, but they are unable to make a scratch in the market because of this. They inevitably get bought out by MS (who ain't into monopolizing the universe, by the way) who passes the source code to coding sweatshops in India and China somewhere where a hundred million Indians and thirty-eight point four million Chinese work on writing code that has to be delivered on a promised date. Quality Assurance and error-checking are apparently redundant exercises that only waste time. MS solves the QA problem by having a million people work on the same problem, generating a million lines of code where a single line would have done. That also explains their app size, by the way. They lose sight of the fact that a million people might make a problem a million times worse. Too many cooks spoiling the broth, you might say. But nooooooo... they have specs written in English and their programmers are fluent in stuff like Mandarin and whatever they speak in Hyderabad. The Chinese sweatshop programmers don't even have the Roman alphabet as their native alphabet. Imagine you as a born Roman alphabet user having to build an OS in Chinese. In their script.

This probably explains why any given Windows version is so inflated. It's all the language courses that accidentally got copied from one of the programmer's USB sticks to the working folder. None of the other programmers picked it up, cause they're all working in silos and duplicating unnecessary crap.

But whatever you do, don't have blind faith in MS. I worked at a central bank here in SA, and was in charge of profile migrations when the bank employees got their new XP installations. The upgrade was from Win2000 to WinXP. We got a few boffs from MS to come and design a game plan for us. Because of security issues, there was no roaming profiles - they were all on the desktops, and had to be individually migrated machine by machine. MS said what we had to do was to install XP and then use some profile migration software in order to migrate from 2k to XP, so that when the user logs on the next morning, everything is still the same, but now they're running XP. They shouldn't see any change at all. And the software they recommended came with an enterprise license of quite a couple of dollars per desktop. We had 36,000 desktops country-wide to take care of. Obviously couldn't be done machine by machine by techies late at night, cause that'll take a couple of years. Can't do it the MS way, cause that's just goddamn expensive. And MS said that there's no other way.

So, me and a mate of mine went and built an app using Delphi6, and all it does is to execute at logon and ask the user for their employee number (the profiles were assigned by employee number). Every employee number is also linked to a password held on a central server, so users won't have access to other users' profiles. This is apart from the domain password list.

And then it rewrites the pointer in the registry to the specific profile, and badabing badaboom your PC is migrated.

Microsoft said it couldn't be done.

Microsoft said we had to use a third party app that would've cost us a few million and about three years with the manpower we had.

We did it with a 300k app executing at logon for 36,000 users in one morning.

I did get the afternoon off, though.

The fact that they're all over the place and they have a heck of a marketing budget and slick sales people by no means make them good programmers.

I have since resigned and completely quit from the IT business because I couldn't stand the hypocracy and the universal sucking-up to MS by IT executives. I now run a little advertising business and have never been happier.

Microsoft blows.

LOL, Windows logons have load of lag, in my high school lag times used to go up to 5-15 minutes, in my college they sometimes are still well over a minute. So we now have a linux domain controller that does authentication for our department's vpn. Logon times are rarely higher then 20 sec to a half a minute, and we are still complaining, in our linux lab, the login times are less then a second...

Actually my friend wrote a web-based script, to use pear to use samba to reset a students passwords, its actually quite cool...

• 2 weeks later...

whoah, whoah, that's not how microsoft does business... remember, there is market for the OS, it has bugs, there is market for updates, those have bugs, there is market for firewalls, there are things that those allow through, there is market for antiviruses, those allow trusted programs do whatever, there is market for antispyware... its a pyramid with windows at the top, so if you make the first thing secure, the rest of the pyramid collapses, and M$ wants revenues from big companies, no?