Science Forums

Vitamin Supplements

For a few months now, I think I've become a bit of a vitamin junky. I've been experimenting with all different kinds of multi-vitamin/mineral 1-a-days and daily packets.

I've been trying to identify what would be the best dietary supplement for myself.

at this point I've bought so many vitamin supplements, that everyday when I wake up, I have multiple different routes to choose from.

The packets seem to give me more pep and energy. But does that mean they're better for me than the one-a-days?

so, at this point, I have quite a few questions on this topic-

Are Dietary supplements worth taking?

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for when choosing a dietary supplement?

Are certain companies better than others?

any info or links you guys can come up with is greatly appreciated.

Be sure to ask Racoon. He's got a lot of experience with such questions, also, a great thread called "Herbs and Herbal Supplements" here on Hypo.

I do not know much myself, but wanted to respond in that it's always better to eat well and get your nutrition that way than to supplement a poor diet. Seems wise enough. :doh:

Cheers. :)

• 1 month later...

I agree with InfiniteNow that the best way to get your nutrition is through eating well.

My dad and sister take multivitamins daily. My sister has not been sick in a long time and my dad has had just some very minor colds in the last few years. I find that I actually feel better when I take vitamins, and if I take the right ones my asthma improves. I generally take ventolin daily but years ago when I was right into vitamins I didn't need any medication for six months which is really amazing for me. I stopped taking the vitamins because they can get expensive and I was short of cash, but now I'm taking them again because I think they're worth it. I'm sure the ventolin will do damage to my body in the long term and I'd rather take vitamins than drugs.

When choosing a dietary supplement look at what you need supplemented and perhaps go for a brand that's been around for a while. These fact sheets may be of use, and they tell you how to naturally get the supplements if you have a deficiency, and also the signs of a deficiency.

Are Dietary supplements worth taking?

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for when choosing a dietary supplement?

Are certain companies better than others?

any info or links you guys can come up with is greatly appreciated.

Very important questions that way too few people actually ask. Supplements can be good, but they must be researched. Nutrition is the goal and involves staying away from bad food as much as it involves eating more of the good. I suggest swansonvitamins.com first of all, good products for cheap. And here's lots of reading material.

http://www.honestfoodguide.org/downloads/HonestFoodGuide.pdf

http://www.mostuff.net/pdfs/BeattheBirdFluVirus.pdf

http://www.mostuff.net/pdfs/GroceryWarningv2.pdf

http://www.mostuff.net/pdfs/SevenLawsofNutrition.pdf

http://www.mostuff.net/pdfs/SecretSources.pdf

• 1 month later...

I think most vitamins are fine and probably helpful, although sometimes I wonder if it isn't possible to unintentionally overdose on some such as vitamin A, D, etc. (fat-soluble ones) or copper and iron if you also eat a good diet. The only dietary supplements I take are fish oil pills or ground flax seed mixed into a drink (maybe cocoa or milk) for the omega-3 fatty acids. They're good for the mind and heart. Anything else I try to get from eating a decent diet (rich in seafood, whole grains, cranberries or blueberries, seaweed, soy products, etc.). It seems like too many people are pushing "this pill" or "that pill" as some magic cure, and too few of them have an adequate number of studies or evidence for their claims.

Taking vitamin C on a regular basis is a good thing, it has overall benefits in many areas, i take 1gram every-other day or so. Another good thing to take every-once a while are fish oil capsules which help with mental sharpness, lots of good fatty acids :thumbs_do .. i could list many other things since my sister is a naturopathic doctor but i think those are my two best recommendations.

mmm, yeah, I was taking fish oil for a while. Probably not long enough or consistantly enough to truly notice the positive effects, but when I have more money, I'd like to start taking it again.

I eat good food when I can... but it's hard nowadays. which is why I've resorted to vitamin supplements.

mmm.

Some effects of fish oil are noticeable quickly, others realized over weeks or months. When I was suffering from depression (induced by work and a lot of other stresses), I noticed that after a few days, my mood, sense of well-being, and sleep patterns stabilized. After a few weeks, I gradually noticed quickening reflexes (back to normal), better coordination, and almost as if my mind was speeding up. Memory seemed to start to work again. After a year on them, I haven't noticed any other cumulative effects, other than my mind feels quick and pliable and I feel rather normal.

The garlic vit C and horseradish pills I have taken since I contracted infectious mononucleosis last year, I took them in place of anti-biotics, I find they are a 'natures antibiotics' they really improve the strength of your immune system. The riboflavin helps you get more energy from the food you eat, which in my life style, often training and working many hours a day, I find it keeps me going throughout the day. All this and I make sure I eat a very natural and balanced diet.