Science Forums

Energy Drinks

ThisIsMyName

Too much sugar leads to wacky blood-sugar levels (and tiredness, mood swings, etc. which come with erratic blood sugar) and increases the chances of becoming diabetic.

Good point. Just to clarify, the increased likelihood would be for Type II Diabetes, but there are many more factors than just high "sugar." What many people forget is that there are different kinds of sugars and it's often more than refined sugars or syrups that play a role... Even eating a piece of bread, with no added sugar, will increase sugar levels.

Hmmm... Bread with ginseng... :drool: :eek_big:

i dont think energy drink work for me, but 2 packs of Equal sugar works just fine before exam :) :D :hyper:

ummm... hmmm.... What?

Equal/Nutraweet = aspartame, not to be confused with saccarin/Sweet&Low... Is this what you meant, and, if so, how does that make one hyper?

My point? Equal is not sugar, it's a none sugar substitute. Can you clarify what you mean? Perhaps sarcasm?

i mean sweet&low and/or any other brands who comes in little packs.

and i do not know chem behind it but during exam it helps me stay hyper and awake for about 30 minitues. somehow i found out that i gather my thoughts for essay question more easily this way. I tried same question without sweet&low and i had trouble writing essay.

NOw, i really do not know is this suppose to happen. my idea may be wrong about sweet&low but i am not gonna quit on it since it helps me get A's on my essay questions ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guru and Redbull have no affect on me but Rockstar does. Does anyone know why? What does Rockstar have that the other two don't?

Check out some of the following, and let us know why you think there is a difference in their effects. :omg:

Facts obtained from: BevNet

Red Bull

Ingredients: Carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, sodium citrate, taurine, glucuronolactone, caffeine, inositol, niacin, D-pantothenol, pyridoxine HCL, vitamin B12, natural and artificial flavors, colors

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 can; Amount per serving: Calories: 160; Total Fat: 0g; Sodium: 290mg; Protein: less than 1g; Total Carbohydrates: 40g; Sugars: 39g; Niacin: 140%; Vitamin B6: 360%; Vitamin B12: 120%; Pantothenic acid: 70%

RockStar

Ingredients: Carbonated water, fruit juice concentrates (a blend of apple, pear, mango, orange, and passion fruit juice from concentrates), glucose, taurine, citric acid, taurine, natural flavors, sodium benzoate (to protect taste), ascorbic acid, caffeine, potassium sorbate (to protect taste), L-carnitine, inositol, milk thistle extract, ester gum, ginko biloba leaf extract, sucralose, guarana seed extract, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, panax ginseng root extract, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, beta-carotene (color), cyanocobalamin

Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 8 fl oz; Servings per container: 3; Amount per serving: Calories 90; Total fat: 0g; Sodium: 15mg; Total carbs: 22g; Sugars: 21g; Protein: 0g; Vitamin B2: 200%; Vitamin B3: 100%; Vitamin B5: 100%; Vitamin B6: 100%; Vitamin B12: 100%; Vitamin C: 100%; Calcium: 3%; Taurine: 1000mg; Guarana: 25mg; Inositol: 25mg; L-carnitine: 25mg; Panax ginseng: 25mg; Milk thistle: 20mg; Ginkgo: 15mg; Caffeine: 80mg

Guru

Ingredients: Carbonated water, white grape juice concentrate, cane juice concentrate, lemon juice concentrate, natural flavors, guarana seed extract (contains 125mg of naturally occuring caffeine), salt, echinacea flower extract, panax ginseng root extract, ginkgo biloba leaf extract

Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 1 can; Amount per serving: Calories: 100; Total fat: 0g; Sodium: 110mg; Total carbohydrates: 25g; Sugars: 22g; Protein: 0g; Iron: 2%; Proprietary blend: 1629mg (Guarana seed extract, echinacea flower extract, panax ginseng root extract, ginkgo biloba leaf extract)

http://home.howstuffworks.com/energy-drink.htm

There are hundreds of energy drinks on the U.S. market, but most of them contain very similar ingredients.

Many people think Red Bull is loaded with caffeine. However, an 8.3-ounce can has just 80 milligrams of the stimulant, about the same amount in a mug of coffee ...

Keep in mind also that size matters. Why drink a dixie cup of soda when there are super big gulps?

Cheers. ;)

• 1 year later...

The basic energy drink is water, caffein and sugar. The electrolytes are a good extra touch. I don't really bother using them, when I train. My philosophy is if the body doesn't have this external source, it compensates. I even try to limit my water uptake to only what my body seems to need, instead of a mind based schedule. If I don't sweat, I don't drink. Much of these needs are based on free market. These aids were optimized for the athlete who is pushing the body in the hot sun for hours per day. Now, even the person standing around in the AC health club is drinking enough water and power drinks to fuel a marathon runner. The body will adapt to this surplus, making the body more dependent on it. If the body is optimized without it, adding it, will have a much greater impact.

If you think of logically, the evolution of the human body never included power aide trees or farms. This has been artificially added over the past 20 years. The body never needed it, but now it is more dependent on it. Now if many don't have their power drinks they can't function normally. The body appears to dehydrate quicker, one lose electrolytes faster, all because there is a source of excess that the body is trying to get rid of. If you don't have it the body is still on that surplus schedule dipping into your reserves. At that point you do actually need these. The necessity loop is complete. If the body is optimized without it, the body has a better storage buffer.