Science Forums

Energy Drinks

ThisIsMyName

Check out the concepts of desensitization, acclimation, and addiction. You'll then understand much better. :lol:

Can you explain what you mean exactly, please? Well, addiction I understand, but desenitization... Like being desenited to the effects it has or it's different ingredients? :lol:

Sorry... I don't quite understand. (Not like you're explaining it wrong or anything, so please don't get the wrong impression. :D )

Sounds like you're pretty much on the right track. You become less sensitive to both the effects of the ingredients and also your mind and body's sense of the intensity of those effects.

So, the only reason you can drink 3 Monsters and be fine is because you have so damned many of them in the first place. Me, I take like 3 sips and I'm practically Robin Williams on crack, just less funny. :lol:

Ooooohhhh.... I get in now! :lol:

I can have a Monster energy drink and not be affected at all, but say someone has a Monster for the first time in their life and they're bouncing off the walls? Am I getting it now? :lol:

There are different types of Energy Drinks... They usually fall into the basic categories of :

Zero- Carb

Sugar Free

Regular

Do you think those things matter at all as far as stimulants go and how much it effects you?

Me, I take like 3 sips and I'm practically Robin Williams on crack, just less funny.

:D You must be funny, I laughed out loud at that! Hahaha!

Do you think those things [sugar, and more complex forms of sugar as carbohydrates] matter at all as far as stimulants go and how much it effects you?

What do you think? Have you looked into this at all? Propose an idea and explore it. There's no problem proposing something that's wrong if it helps you learn.

Sugar. What effect do YOU think it has?

Also, zero carb and sugar free are pretty close to the same thing. Sugar free means no added sugars, but if it's zero carb, then there's almost always no sugar... but that's another topic.

Yes, I've looked into this somewhat but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer.

Note* The following "thoughts" are totally unscientifical :naughty:

Doesn't glucose give your body something to metabolize? Not like calories, but like, the body stores it and that's what helps it keep running. Or something along those lines... I'm not quite sure.

So in a sense, you'd likely be more effected by a "normal" Monster or Full Throttle than a Sugar-Free?

I have to study for a history test right now, but when I get a chance I'll Google that specific question and get back. If you have anything to add before then, that'd be awesome.

OK.. :naughty:

Here is a more economical and healthier alternative to Energy Drinks..

Make your own for less..

Buy:

3-5 gallons distilled water

1 fluid oz. bottle liquid Ginkgo extract

1 fluid oz. Ginseng liquid extract

1 bottle of liquid concentrated vitamins.. (Symtec 33.8 fl. oz's as an example, found in health food stores)

2 boxes of Green Tea..

You can break those ingredients into about 20-30 high powered drinks...

The taste is bad/tolerable.. but ..

Its cleaner, No sugar. Mix it according to label dosages.

Just drink the raw ingredients.. No advertising, cans, whatever...

When can I get paid for this ****?

Well if it doesn't taste good what's the point? I'm really not the Energy Drink junky I probably appear to be... I actually drink a majority of water, Gatorade and these little eenie, meenie Welches juice bottles that I get from Cosco. :doh: But every once in a while, I like to reach into my fridge and pull out a Full Throttle for a refreshing shudder and a chill down my spine as the first bitter sweet drop hits my tongue..... Mmmmm.... :naughty:

Well if it doesn't taste good what's the point?

The point is increased energy and well-being.

If you're really serious about performance, then you will boil things down much more carefully. And if you're not, then taste may be all that concerns you.

You don't mix all the ingredients I listed above together.

Use the liquid herbal extract in some water. It won't taste terrible, but its not great.. after a while you don't even notice.

Slug down the capful of liquid vitamins.. they have them flavored, and it tastes better than cough medicine. :hihi:

Then you brew a cup of green tea. Grean tea stimulates metabolism and calorie burning.

I prefer distilled water for the herbs and tea.. Its cheap by the gallon at the grocerystore ~$1.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I haven't posted here in like... more than a year. But your topic caught my eye as I was lurking for the first time in a long time. Back in the day ("the day" being when I joined ;)), I madea thread about guarana, guaranine and its effects. That's what I bring to this thread.

I've researched said [offending] ingredient in my energy drinks. Guarana (as compared to like, taurine let's say) is the only thing that has EVER had an effect on me. The newer energy drinks just don't do it for me, I guess. I used to drink an "herbal tonic" made by the Arizona tea company (great drinks XD). It's the only "energy boost drink" or whatever that has ever had an effect on me. It had a great amount of guarana. I'd imagine that different additivies/ingredients have different effects on different people (enough 'different' there? lol), so I won't ask a question pertaining to that.

I wouldn't consider myself addicted to energy drinks in any manner, but, then again, what person would admit having an addiction without realizing they indeed had one? :lol: I've only gotten sick from drinking energy drinks once- I had three or four in a really long hospital adventure night and found myself unable to sleep because of a strange heartbeat. Palpitations, I suppose, but caffeine will do that. My tolerance must be high seeing as how I've been drinking coffee for pretty much my entire life :D

I'm not trying to revive an old topic or anything (I'm bad about doing that sometimes), just offering/writing out thoughts as they come. :hihi:

*thumbs up*

(EDIT: Hmm, funny I forgot... most of the drinks taste like utter crap to me. XD)

Wow, finally some one replied again! Haha!

Ohhh I love Arizona... :lol:

And actually, the thing with Energy Drinks these days is about looking cool. You know like, "Whoooaaa, look at me I'm going to act drunk because it's 'in!'"

Like a couple years ago when Starbucks was 'in' and you'd see a bunch of eighth graders standing around saying, "I have a Caramel Frap with extra Caramel." "Dude, I've already upgraded to a Java Chip!" "Pchaw, it's all about black..." :)

It's all about the flashy labels... Like, Wow, that can has the Superman logo on it.. I think I want to drink its contents... (by the way, I do not recommend the NoFear Superman... Tastes like adult cough syrup:esick: ).

Evergy Drinks have become increasingly popular within 2006... Around mid 2007 they'll die out and those healthy drinks like carrot juice and lettuce juice will have its turn. :doh:

But whether I'm in the mainstream or not, I've been drinking Energy Drinks since I was in the sixth grade :D And I think they're YUMMY! :)

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago, my kid was telling me how Energy Drinks (esp. Rockstar) are all the rage at her middle school, and how she keeps one of her friends--who is incredibly hyperactive anyway--away from them. Then this week, the school puts this blurb in the weekly newsletter:

ENERGY DRINKS are not what you think!

The growing consumption of energy drinks by our students has prompted teacher and staff concern. These high caffeine and high sugar drinks have made learning and the learning environment on campus more difficult and disruptive. The energy drinks typically contain sugar, caffeine, and taurine, a sulfur-containing amino acid. Some countries have raised concerns about the amount of caffeine in the drinks and the uncertain health effects of taurine. Energy drinks are different from sports drinks, which tend not to have caffeine or taurine and are lower in carbohydrates.

A healthcare provider stated, "Most of us wouldn't really let our children drink two or three or even four cups of coffee, but children go to the store around the corner and find energy drinks. That can be dangerous."

Energy drinks may contain as much as 80 mg of caffeine, the equivalent of a cup of coffee. Compared to the 37 mg. of caffeine in a Mountain Dew, or the 23 mg. in a Coca-Cola Classic, that's a big punch. Caffeinated beverages can cause children to be hyperactive, fidgety or even rageful. Children can suffer from upset stomachs, headaches and sleep problems. Plus taking other medications or supplements can make caffeine's side effects seem even worse. Many students are consuming multiple servings of these beverages in a short period of time.

Even though they're labeled 'energy drinks,' they should not be consumed during exercise. The caffeine and concentrated sugar will slow the body's ability to absorb water, causing dehydration.

Parents, please talk to your children about making healthy choices.

Additional Sources of Information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/nutrition/general/caffeine

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/sports/energy

I started experimenting with coffee when I was about 10, but didn't really start drinking it until I was about 15 or so, and both I and my mother have always been strict about keeping caffeine and large quantities of sugar out of small bodies. This really can't be good. I'm not sure these super-blow-out drinks are a good idea even for adults. Sort of a mild version of crystal meth.

I knew a guy who *smoked* Guarana back in college--said it was better than pot--but he was a little bit weird anyway.

Haven't tried any of these--although I did try Jolt Cola when it first came out ages ago and did *not* like it even though I am addicted to coffee--and don't really have the desire to experiment.

Hyper but not jittery,

Buffy

OK.. ;)

Here is a more economical and healthier alternative to Energy Drinks..

Make your own for less..

Buy:

3-5 gallons distilled water

1 fluid oz. bottle liquid Ginkgo extract

1 fluid oz. Ginseng liquid extract

1 bottle of liquid concentrated vitamins.. (Symtec 33.8 fl. oz's as an example, found in health food stores)

2 boxes of Green Tea..

You can break those ingredients into about 20-30 high powered drinks...

The taste is bad/tolerable.. but ..

Its cleaner, No sugar. Mix it according to label dosages.

Just drink the raw ingredients.. No advertising, cans, whatever...

When can I get paid for this ****?

Personally, I'd just go with the green tea + sugar, honey, or juice (like grape, apple, etc.) that mix well with green tea and use them as an energy drink.

Also, if the green tea tastes horrible (i.e., bitter or leaves a rough feeling in your mouth), it is probably substandard green tea. For better green tea, either buy silver tip/leaf (if Chinese) or Japanese green teas, even cheap ones taste rather decent. Maybe bancha or uji no sato. Can be found at Asian grocery stores for cheap. The green tea normally sold in health foodstores or supermarkets is garbage; it's not what Asians would touch or wish on their worst enemies. The best green tea I've had comes from Taiwan, but it's so hard to get here... I always have friends bring back some when they visit there.

I think energy drinks are fine in small amounts, but the high levels of caffeine and sugar are a bad combo. Too much caffeine can cause nervousness, stress, and heart arrhythmia. Too much sugar leads to wacky blood-sugar levels (and tiredness, mood swings, etc. which come with erratic blood sugar) and increases the chances of becoming diabetic.