Science Forums

Energy Drinks

ThisIsMyName

It started with Red Bull... Then came Monster and Lost... It all went downhill after that.

Every day more and more people become addicted to this yummy drink that is said to boost you metabolism and jump start you day! Yes, they're delicious, but how many people have aftually looked at the ingredients? Does research to see what sort of damage they may be doing to themselves?

I personally have no room to talk. I love the things and even collect the cans!

Let's do a little bit of chit chatting, shall we?

Post some articles, there's plenty!

One Monster Energy Drink equals about 10 cups of coffee (caffein wise anyway). But there are certains stimulants in Energy Drinks that coffee doesn't have. But about four energy drinks equals about a gram of caffein, which is extremely horrible for you. It causes you to become paranoid, your heart to beat at en extremely fast rate, and you to usually feel ill or overheated, among other things. It clearly states that you shouldn't drink more than three drinks in a day, but of course, our rebellious youth and ignorant members of society prefer to drink 4-7 in a day. Now that's brilliance!

My two friends decided to have an energy drink contest once and bought about twenty Monster energy drinks. One of them almost had to be rushed to the hospital. :)

If you look at a RedLine energy drink label, you'll notice it doesn't list the amounts of ingredients it has. It has crosses where would see "Taurine 10%"... Does this mean they didn't feel like listing them, or "May God Have Mercy On Your Soul" to whoever drinks this? (When I get home I'll take a picture of my RedLine can and post it)

Along with the potential dangers of being addicted to these drinks, there's also price. The normal size is around 16oz. and costs about $2.00 per can. The new sizes ("The Tripple Stregth" size) are 24oz. and very from $2.50- $3.50. If you bought one normal sized Energy drink every day for a year that is about $730.00 a year just for Energy Drinks. :eek:

Energy drinks, eh?

:hyper: :eek_big::hyper: :eek_big::hyper: :eek_big: :surprise: :hammer: :dead: :esmoking: :estrange: :eshy: :Little: :eswirl: :) :cup: :hyper: :eek_big: :surprise: :hammer: :dead: :esmoking: :estrange: :eshy: :Little: :eswirl: :eek: :cup: :hyper: :eek_big::hyper: :eek_big::hyper: :eek_big: :surprise: :hammer: :dead: :esmoking: :estrange: :eshy: :Little: :eswirl: ;) :cup:

EDIT: 98 cups of coffee and crazy eyes removed. :rolleyes: [/EDIT]

/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif

I'm tired now...

One Monster Energy Drink equals about 100 cups of coffee (caffein wise anyway).

Where do you get that number? I'm pretty affected by caffeine to the extent that I can typically feel the level of caffeine in my system. I've consumed energy drinks and I suspect your numbers are quite a bit off here.

I usually drink water only. No energy drinks. I am a coffee junkie, though...

Ditto.

Main thing is to read the ingredients, and not the hype on the flashy part of the can.

Also, read the percentages and amounts.. Many times they will advertise something like Taurine, guarrana (caffeine), and vitamins, but really offer very small quantities of said substance. :)

Consider price$.

at $2-3 dollars a can, x 5-10 cans,... you could purchase your own raw ingredients and make a higher quality "energy-drink" of your own... :eek:

Where do you get that number? I'm pretty affected by caffeine to the extent that I can typically feel the level of caffeine in my system. I've consumed energy drinks and I suspect your numbers are quite a bit off here.

Coffee type/drinkSize of cupApproximate caffeine content (in mg):

Instant (heaped teaspoon) Any size50-60

Filter coffeeMedium (125 ml)60-100

Coffee filter machineMedium (125 ml)60-100

EspressoSmall (80 ml)70-80

Decaffeinated coffeeMedium-large (125-200 ml)2-4

And I'm looking at a Rockstar Juiced can right now (that I just finished drinking :) ). It has 80mg. of caffeine, multiply that by three is 240mg. in the entire can. And supposedly Monsters have more caffeine in them but I went onto Wikipedia.com and looked it up and this is what I got:

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 8 fl oz; Servings Per Container: 2; Calories: 100; Total Carbs: 26g; Total Fat: 0g; Sugars: 26g; Riboflavin: 1.7mg; Niacin: 20mg; Vitamin B6: 2mg; Vitamin B12: 6µg; Sodium: 180mg; Taurine: 1000mg; Panax-Ginseng: 200mg; Energy Blend: 2500mg (Caffeine 80mg)

That's a two serving can and so all together there is 160mg. of caffeine in an 16oz. Monster Energy Drink.

1000 mg = 1 gram.

We're both right :eek: Just depends on what kind of coffee you're drinking and how many Energy Drink servings you take.

And I'm looking at a Rockstar Juiced can right now (that I just finished drinking :) ). It has 80mg. of caffeine, multiply that by three is 240mg. in the entire can. And supposedly Monsters have more caffeine in them but I went onto Wikipedia.com and looked it up and this is what I got:

That's a two serving can and so all together there is 160mg. of caffeine in an 16oz. Monster Energy Drink.

1000 mg = 1 gram.

We're both right :hihi: Just depends on what kind of coffee you're drinking and how many Energy Drink servings you take.

:hihi: I'm sorry, but I don't share being right quite that easily. Check the 2nd link from the post above.

Brewed coffee has 13.44 mg/oz of caffiene. Expresso has 51.33mg/oz. Your puny Monster drink has just 8.75mg/oz. :doh:

Sorry, but your still in the minor leagues son. :hihi:

I've read those before. Avid energy drinkers like myself should do research on the things they're putting in their bodies.

Many people fail to read the cans. For example: The Rockstar Juiced that I have right now reads on the ingredients label, "(A blend of apple, pear, mango, orange, and passion fruit juice from consentrates)." There are dyes in some consentrates that diabetics can't have (not like it'd be wise for a diabetic to be drinking Energy Drink cans in the first place, but again, bare with me). My grandpa is diabetic and he can't have red or green yellow because of the dye :hihi:. It also says, "Not recommended for children, pregnant or nursing women, or those sensitive to caffeine." I've seen plenty of kids under the age of 10 walking around with and Lost or a Red Bull in their hands (usually trying to look really adult and grown up, which also has an impact of the way kids are acting these days; but then again that's a different subject.)

If you're going to drink these things, I think you should make sure it's the right thing to do. The addictives are too hard to break away from once you've started, and if you have an addictive personality and you're sensitive to caffeine, you're going to have a long Aspirin filled road ahead of you :)

:hihi: I'm sorry, but I don't share being right quite that easily. Check the 2nd link from the post above.

Brewed coffee has 13.44 mg/oz of caffiene. Expresso has 51.33mg/oz. Your puny Monster drink has just 8.75mg/oz. :doh:

Sorry, but your still in the minor leagues son. :hihi:

I'm sure there are different ways to brew a cup of coffee, but there are also plenty of different Energy Drinks. I'm not trying to make this a compentition so you can spare us your witty remarks. If you look in previous posts, I also posted some stats about coffee, so how do you know which is right?

I believe it varies depending on the type of coffee and the type of Energy Drink. It also depends on your state of mind. A lot of stimulants are purely mind over matter. You think of coffee as something to give you a bit of a pep so you can finsih those term papers when it 12 am, while an Energy Drink is meant to give you a strong burst of energy that will help you remain hyperactive the entire day. :)

But again, it all depends on what you think will happen. It could be just the opposite if you wanted it to be. :hihi:

That would be the smart thing to do in an ordinary case, especially if your an athlete. If you do a lot of running it's probably better for you to stick to water, Gatorade, and Propel. Your heart is beating fast enough already, it doesn't need anything else to boost that.

We run a mile every Monday and Thrusday in my PE class right after lunch. A couple weeks ago I had a Monster before I ran the mile. Augh, I was sick as a dog and it gave me cramps like crazy! Nope, not a good idea... :naughty:

What's Berocca?

bleh, only tea for me, please.

Much less caffein in tea blends.

When redline's "black pearl" came out, i bought one, tried it. I didn't read the back of the can before ingesting.

Not only does it warn you to not drink on an empty stomach. It also suggests that you only drink half of the beverage at a time. And this entire can was only about 8 ounces of fluid.

I ended up drinking almost all of it on an empty stomach.

Wow.

My heart rate got all messed up and I felt really uncomfortable the entire night until the sun was about to rise(I drank the drink in the afternoon and expected to sleep that night).

So, after that, I kind of lost interest in energy drinks.

And soon after that, I lost interest in stimulants in general.

sometimes, when I really need it, I'll drink a little bit of caffeinated tea.

like today. I had to walk home 6 miles from school. That took a bit of stimulation.