Science Forums

America Doesn't Believe Evolution

Dov Henis

The point I previously made pointed out that evolution is actually the history of life, with genetics, selective advantage and mutation the explanation used to create a continuous story. It is a good correlation of life history based on the scientific data collected. But the data is limited., If we tried to write the history of the rise and fall of the Roman empire from scratch, and one was allowed to throw away 50-99% of the data, and then do a scientific study on the rest, a theory would emerge. It may or may not be close to what has been have decided, given all the data.

There is probally more data about WWII, then is being used to explain billions of years of evolution. WWII is still open to intepretation, with respect to some of the minor points, yet evolution is assume closed and settled. Most people sense the inflated nature of the evolutonary claim given the amount of data used to explain billions of years. This does not mean such people have except creationism, but it probably means they are leaving options open for the time being

Well, if that satistic is true, then 40% of Americans DO understand or realize the validity of Evolution...

So please do not lump all Americans as blinded religious zealots, when at least 40%, if not Half (1/2) recognize Evolution as something to be expounded upon...

To be honest, I would find any amount less than 80% of people 'believing' evolution pretty disgracful.

And you come to us with 40%!!! It's disgraceful no matter how you spin it.

Do the Math then . :)

How do you discount 120 Million people??

Thats the population of several "enlightened" countries...

Problem being, in a small country, let's say New Zealand, with, say, 4 million people, if they have 3.5 million "enlightened" citizens, numberwise, that's not a lot. But percentagewise, they can steer their government in the right direction, because they'd be an overwhelming majority. America's 120 million "enlightened" citizens can't do much for national policy, because of percentages.

Well, by the same token, let's say a million men have only one testicle. A million people are a lot of people! You wouldn't want all of them over at your house for a barbecue! But they are less than 0.5% of the US population, and therefore won't really be able to steer the goverment in any particular direction. Same with evolutionaries. They may be 120 million, or 40%, but they still are the minority. And that's a sad, sad thing to see in the most powerful country on Earth...

If politics doesn't reflect the average opinion, its because the average voter doesn't vote!
Did you perchance mean the average citizen?
No, I meant opinion... because every citizen has one

No worries, but I think you missed my original point. A voter, by definition, votes. So, you made a statement I was looking to clarify, and figured you meant "the average citizen doesn't vote." Then, once we'd clarified, I'd ask you to back up your statement with some numbers. :confused:

Speaking of numbers...

I am still curious as to the study in the first post. I'd like to see more data about methods of polling, types of questions, and demographics of those polled. While I tend to hang around more scientifically oriented people, I would be quite disturbed if, through representative polling, the numbers were really that low. :confused:

In short, religion and science are veeeeerrrrrrrry different things. Religion is one' s personal belief.:hihi:

are you so sure? Religion is ones personal belief based on "facts" and "evidence" from a book (the bible) While science is someones personal belief based on facts and evidence from science books and research! so are they so different? In terms of science do you believe exactly what I do about what happens in a cell? of course not. Does everyone believe the same thing about their religion? of course not. everything is open to ones own interpretation.

isnt there over 300million americans now?

No, there aren't.:)

295,507,000 as of July 1st 2006

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/population/pop.pdf

For the official source of such statistical information, the Statistical Abstract (that's the title) is available in libraries and now online.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/

Religion is ones personal belief based on "facts" and "evidence" from a book (the bible) While science is someones personal belief based on facts and evidence from science books and research! so are they so different? In terms of science do you believe exactly what I do about what happens in a cell? of course not. Does everyone believe the same thing about their religion? of course not. everything is open to ones own interpretation.

The difference is reproducibility L2, and it is one hell of a chasm. Always one more thing to learn.:hihi:

- What is the plain meaning of "deeply spiritual scientists"?
I don’t think “deeply spiritual scientist” is, as Dov Henis seems to imply, an oxymoron, but that it describes a large community of people who are educated and productive scientists, but who fail to completely embrace materialism as either an epistemology or a morality. Newton fit the category, as did Einstein. Tipler and Penrose fit it now. Many, possibly the majority, or scientists of all degrees of fame did and do not fit the category. [/url] didn’t and Dawkins doesn’t.

There are at least 2 ways a person can be both scientifically and/or mathematically rigorous, yet be “deeply spiritual”

A person may also pretend to be deeply spiritual to curry favor with people who consider it a mark of respectability and virtue. It’s difficult to estimate how many scientists do this, as they may go to lengthy measures not be found out in their deception.

By including this claim in the statement, the AAAS is attempting, I think, to dispel the common accusation that all scientist are atheists. Although it is true that many are not, a significantly greater fraction of scientists are atheist than is found in the general population, causing me to question the wisdom of including the claim.

In the same way that leaders in any walk of life are different from non-leaders. Large numbers of people look to them for guidance, follow their lead, and consider them among the best practitioners of their religion. Their statements may be considered authoritative, or even, in some cases, infallible.
Religious people, even some self-described “fundamentalists”, can believe evolution to be true by accepting many histories. A common one is: God created the heavens, Earth, and biological nature as described in religious scripture, then allowed the them to change in accordance with natural law. Such people find no conflict between scientific discoveries and scripture, because whatever science discovers is assumed to have been created by God, but not included in scripture, which, being of limited length and subject to the intellectual limitations of its human authors, could not contain everything about creation. This is widely taken to be the “official” position of the Roman Catholic Church.
I believe everything can be discussed scientifically. However, science can be dissatisfying when discussing some subjects.

While I don’t have Dov’s appreciation for the successes and failings of the AAAS, I can sympathize with them, given the difficulty of advancing science in a population in which the majority of people desperately don’t want to believe it’s most well supported conclusions, such as: humans are not qualitatively unlike other animals; the earth is not the center of the universe; angels do not watch over us and protect us from harm; when we die, we don’t continue living elsewhere.

Compared to what the most popular religions have to say on these subjects, science offers conclusions that are hard to sell.

statistically:

This is a culture in which 83% of the population believes the Bible is the "actual" or the inspired word of God, half believe in the devil, 39% believe in the Biblical prediction of Armageddon, a mere 9% accept Darwinian evolution while 44% believe that "God created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years."

scary, huh?

statistically … a mere 9% accept Darwinian evolution while 44% believe that "God created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years."

scary, huh?

This 2004/11 and 2005/10 CBS news phone poll of about 800 US adults disagrees with Tarantism’s numbers, giving 15% believing in pure evolution, 30% in God-guided evolution, and 51% in pure creationism, with a +/- 4% margin of error.

Though still scary, these results are not quite as bleak as Tarantism’s 9% figure. More encouraging, the same survey shows 67% believe it’s “possible to believe in both God and evolution”. Even among people who report that they believe “God created humans”, 48% believe it’s possible to believe in both God and evolution.

Also encouraging is that, like many previous surveys, this one indicates that the more years of education a person has completed, the more likely they are to believe in Darwinian evolution.

thanks craig, i guess my statistics were a bit old. i pulled them from a notepad file i have for scary s@#t :D.

another thing that may shed some positive light on the situation is that as far as i know, more and more people are completing or at least attending college, and therefore they are becoming more educated. i still cannot see how darwinian evolution cannot just be accepted as basic fact. the evidence is there, and we and everything else continues to evolve! i cannot even begin to imagine how much more advanced or at least informed we could all be if we would just drop these religious blind-beliefs.

not to mention the fact that religious institutions are now untaxed buisnesses. :eek: :cup: