Science Forums

Anti-Viral Plants

How about coconut oil? Coconut oil has lauric acid, the only plant with significant amounts of lauric acid. Lauric acid is the compound in human milk that purportedly gives babies their immunity. See lauric.org for more info.

Lauric acid lyses the lipid envelopes of many viruses and bacteria.

I have used coconut oil now for about six years to combat many colds (influenza is a lipid enveloped virus) and for herpes (also a lipid enveloped virus) cold sores.

I will give you two personal stories. I used to have herpes cold sores regularly. After taking about three tablespoons of coconut oil for about six months, they disappeared. Have had very few since. And all it takes is a bit of coconut oil on the sore now and the sore is generally gone in less than a day.

But even more interesting. My daughter got mono in college about five years ago. Mono was confirmed with a blood test on a Tuesday. I looked up the virus and found that it was lipid enveloped. I sent her a bottle of monolaurin (humans break down lauric acid into monolaurin) and told her to start taking it. She got it and started taking the monolaurin on Wednesday. Nine days later on a Friday she was fine. On a Monday, 13 days after the original tests showed mono, all traces of the mono virus was gone.

HIV is also a lipid enveloped virus and there have been some tests which show that it is effective in lysing the HIV virus.

Another interesting thing about coconut oil that indicates that it is extremely effective as an anti-viral anti-bacterial and antifungal is that it has a shelf life of over a year. It never seems to go ransid or be affected in any way by any microbe.

It freezes at 76 degrees and at any temperature below that it looks like a waxy lard. Because it looks like lard, it was deemed to be bad for human consumption in the US and virtually banned. A huge mistake. In the human body, coconut oil always is an oil because it melts at 76 degrees. It does not act like a solid fat at all.

Coconut oil is absorbed through the skin in about 15 minutes. So if you don't want to swallow three tablespoons a day, just rub that amount on your skin.

Every time my grandbaby gets sick, she gets a coconut oil rub.

• 2 weeks later...

This surprised me. I know Ginseng as a tonic "adaptogen" especially useful in blood supply. I need to get into small doses of it for my high blood pressure, but it is expensive as the Chinese venerate it as an aphrodisiac ( blood supply-think about it).

Some studies in animals have documented ginseng's anti-inflammatory and antiviral activities and its hepatoprotective effects at low doses (destruction at high doses) in a rat model, whereas others found that tumors in mice were suppressed by components of ginseng.
Ginseng Herbal Remedy - Contraindications And Precautions | Best Syndication

Hyssop

Has been used since Biblical times but is alwamost unknown now. I have tried to grow it in my sub-tropical (US 9-10) clime without a lot of luck. I never was much inspired as I didn't know what to do with it. But this is fascinating

Hyssop - Uses and Side Effects

Subodh Jain

March 12, 2008

Hyssop has been used for centuries as an herbal medicine. In ancient times it was used as an insecticide, insect repellant, and pediculicide. Hyssop is obtained from the dried above-ground parts, including leaves and flowering tops, of H. officinalis. The oil, which is used in flavorings and extracts, is also made from the above-ground parts of the plant.

One of hyssop's glycoside components, marrubiin, stimulates bronchiole secretions.

Hyssop has strong antiviral effects, probably because of the caffeic acid, tannin, and high-molecular-weight components present. It may have some activity against human immunodeficiency virus-l (HIV-1) replication and the herpes simplex virus. Hyssop is available as capsules and extracts.

Reported uses. . .

Los Angeles Chronicle | Hyssop - Uses and Side Effects

Neem of course is agreat natural biodegradeable insecticide used in India for centuries. But now I discover it is anti-viral too!

The most common usage by Malays and Indians is to counter the effects of chicken pox. The leaves are placed on the bed to sleep on and these miraculous leaves are also soaked in warm water for the chicken pox-inflicted to use as bath water. The chemical compounds in the leaves are found to have antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties as discovered by researchers in India and the West

A nice article to read.

it starts

ONE of the fondest memories I have of my carefree childhood growing up in Penang is climbing a large Neem (Azadirachta indica) tree in front of my house. It was easily nine metres tall and each climb was a challenging thrill.

Several kids used to climb trees in my adjacent reserve. The council in their wisdom decided to cut the lower branches of the trees so they could mow underneath. The kids were upset but who notices?

Why do we need such "neat' grass? Isn't climbing trees more important?

• 6 months later...
(NaturalNews) There is no cure for the common cold, right? Wrong. The Zulus of Africa have insisted for centuries that there's a remedy created from geraniums that zaps colds and flu, halting sniffles and coughs almost immediately. Now 21st century research has backed up these claims -- just in time for the beginning of cold and flu season.

In fact, the British government's department of health just announced the same kind of herbal remedy used by the Zulus for centuries has been granted an official license and can now be marketed and sold as a cold and flu medicine in England.

The treatment carries the brand name Kaloba and comes in both oral drops and tablets. It is one of the first herbal remedies to be officially recognized in the UK as an effective, non-drug therapy for treating common ailments.

. . .

Kaloba is derived from a species of geranium called Pelargonium sidoides and is made specifically from the plant's flowers.

The medicine has been available in Germany for over 25 years, but has only just been licensed by Britain's Medicines and Health Products Regulatory Agency.

Herb Officially Recognized In England as A Cure for Colds

Pelargonium sidoides (Umckaloabo)

Pelargonium

Any South Africans on the list have access to seeds of this plant?

• 6 months later...

might be an oportune time to give this thread akick along with the piiggy flu about

Boneset-herb for flu treatments( H1N 1, H1N2, included)

Medical Attributes of Eupatorium perfoliatum - Boneset

By Georgina Robinson, George Agurkis, Anthony Scerbo

Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, PA

July, 2007

Medical attributes of Eupatorium perfoliatum - Boneset

Eupatorium perfoliatum, commonly known as boneset, is a member of the Asteraceae (aster family). Plants of this species are hairy perennial herbs with yellowish-white flowers and opposite leaves joined at the base (Culbreth 1927). They are common to swamps, meadows, and embankments in eastern United States extending from Nova Scotia to Florida, inland to the Dakotas and Texas (Kartesz 2007).

. . .

Abascal & Yarnall 2006 in a review noted that a group of individuals exposed to the 1918 influenza pandemic were treated with herbal medicines including boneset. This alternative medication was extremely successful in treating influenza and alleviated the painful symptoms of the influenza and prevented pulmonary complications and death. Research reported a 0.6% fatality rate with the usage of the herbal treatment compared to a 3% rate that the influenza claimed without the treatment. The research even showed the properties of counteracting cytokine dysregulation caused by severe cases of the disease (Abascal & Yarnall 2006).

A second study treated 53 outpatients with either aspirin or Eupatorium perfoliatum D2 for the common cold. The results demonstrated that both aspirin and Eupatorium perfoliatum were equally effective in reducing the symptoms of the common cold (Gassinger 1981).

A third study isolated polysaccharide fractions from the alkaline –water extracts of boneset and several other plants. Results determined immunostimulating activity from the fractions, which helps in fighting infections such as the common cold and flu (Wagner 1985).

A fi sau a nu fi...liber: Boneset-herb for flu treatments( H1N 1, H1N2, included)

Specific plant terpenoids and lignoids possess potent antiviral activities against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus.

Wen CC, Kuo YH, Jan JT, Liang PH, Wang SY, Liu HG, Lee CK, Chang ST, Kuo CJ, Lee SS, Hou CC, Hsiao PW, Chien SC, Shyur LF, Yang NS.

Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei 115, Taiwan, ROC.

In this study, 221 phytocompounds were evaluated for activity against anti-severe acute respiratory syndrome associated coronavirus (SARS-CoV) activities using a cell-based assay measuring SARS-CoV-induced cytopathogenic effect on Vero E6 cells.

Ten diterpenoids (1-10), two sesquiterpenoids (11 and 12), two triterpenoids (13 and 14), five lignoids (15-19), curcumin (20), and reference controls niclosamide (21) and valinomycin (22) were potent inhibitors at concentrations between 3.3 and 10 microM.

The concentrations of the 22 compounds to inhibit 50% of Vero E6 cell proliferation (CC50) and viral replication (EC50) were measured.

The selective index values (SI = CC50/EC50) of the most potent compounds 1, 5, 6, 8, 14, and 16 were 58, >510, 111, 193, 180, and >667, respectively.

Betulinic acid (13) and savinin (16) were competitive inhibitors of SARS-CoV 3CL protease with Ki values = 8.2 +/- 0.7 and 9.1 +/- 2.4 microM, respectively.

Our findings suggest that specific abietane-type diterpenoids and lignoids exhibit strong anti-SARS-CoV effects.

Specific plant terpenoids and lignoids possess pot...[J Med Chem. 2007] - PubMed Result

What are abietane-type diterpenoids and lignoids ?

An example would be?

Jackfruit or phanas/ponos' (Artocarpus heterophyllus)

In search of the perfect Chaako

Jackfruit or phanas/ponos' (Artocarpus heterophyllus) is a gift of the western ghats to the country. It is credited as world's largest tree borne fruit.

The many nutritional, medicinal and antiviral properties of the jackfruit have been studied for quite a while now. Incidentally, Goa is one of the few places in the world where both, indigenous jackfruit and breadfruit, introduced from Polynesia, are cultivated.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/In-search-of-the-perfect-Chaako/articleshow/4419077.cms

The fruit can be ingested while the wood is used for furniture and musical instruments. Recent laboratory studies show that lectins found in jackfruit and its seeds may have antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and immunostimulative properties. However, clinical study is lacking.

Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)

Some sellers

Mangosteen fruit Manufacturers & Suppliers

Jackfruit or phanas/ponos' (Artocarpus heterophyllus)

In search of the perfect Chaako

Jackfruit or phanas/ponos' (Artocarpus heterophyllus) is a gift of the western ghats to the country. It is credited as world's largest tree borne fruit.

The many nutritional, medicinal and antiviral properties of the jackfruit have been studied for quite a while now. Incidentally, Goa is one of the few places in the world where both, indigenous jackfruit and breadfruit, introduced from Polynesia, are cultivated.

In search of the perfect Chaako - Goa - Cities - The Times of India

The fruit can be ingested while the wood is used for furniture and musical instruments. Recent laboratory studies show that lectins found in jackfruit and its seeds may have antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and immunostimulative properties. However, clinical study is lacking.

Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)

Some sellers

Mangosteen fruit Manufacturers & Suppliers

• 1 month later...
Flu and SARS

A NaturalNews Special Report by Mike Adams

Natural Anti-Virals

Now let's get to the good news. The good news is that natural medicine can save your life. If a pandemic strikes, Tamiflu supplies will be tightly controlled. Unless you're an emergency worker or a health care worker, your chances of ever being given Tamiflu are rather slim. Vaccines, of course, will be utterly useless once the influenza virus mutates, so even receiving a vaccine shot offers no protection other than what's available through the placebo effect.

This leaves natural medicine and the world of anti-viral plants.

Due to the mass brainwashing of the public by pro-Pharma health authorities, most people have no awareness whatsoever of the fact that plants manufacture their own anti-viral medicines.

In fact, there's no such thing as a plant that does not contain anti-viral medicine. EVERY plant on our planet manufactures at least one anti-viral medicine in its own cells.

Did you ever wonder why? It's because plants are under constant attack by viruses, too. And if they don't create their own internal mechanisms for dealing with viruses, they will not survive.

This is especially true with plant roots, which are immersed in soil that's rich with both bacteria and viruses. If those roots do not possess anti-viral and anti-bacterial defenses, they will quickly be consumed and destroyed, killing the plant.

Thus, in virtually all plants, the manufacture of anti-viral medicines is the most natural thing in the world. It happens from day one of the plant sprouting, and it continues through the entire life of the plant.

Simply eating grass (or better yet, juicing grass) is, all by itself, an empowered act of medical self treatment. Grass contains anti-viral compounds, chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals and hundreds of other health-enhancing phytochemicals. (Don't juice grass treated with pesticides, obviously.)

There are other plants, of course, with far greater anti-viral potential than grass. I merely mention this to point out the utter simplicity of finding and consuming anti-viral medicine: If you have a lawn, you have a pharmacy in your yard! (Even better if you have dandelions and other "weeds.")

The Five Best Anti-Viral Products to Beat Influenza, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and SARS page 5 - Natural Anti-Virals

free newsletter available at site.

Lomatium Dissectum

This product is the "secret" anti-influenza herb that very few people know about, even in the natural health industry. The root of the Lomatium is perhaps Mother Nature's "perfect" anti-influenza herb because its anti-viral action is combined with a respiratory clearing action that's especially useful for dealing with the secondary infections caused by many strains of influenza.

The indigenous American Indians grew Lomatium and used it as medicine. If you live in the American Southwest (or other dry, hot climates), you can probably grow this medicine, too. It might be one of the best investments you can make in your own health defense, because herbs that are growing in your yard are always more potent than herbs found in bottles.

? ?

Do any Yanks here know this one?

It is one i don't know about.

Olive Leaf Extract

One taste of real olive life extract and you'll be convinced: This is powerful stuff! The best-known phytochemical in olive leaves is oleuropein, a very potent antimicrobial medicine that also has natural anti-viral properties.

Your best value on a standardized extract, in supplement form, is the NSI brand from VitaCost (http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Olive-L...). I personally like the liquids better (http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Ans...), but the taste is a big turn off for most consumers. If you're not into chugging really bizarre-tasting liquids, go with the capsules instead.

Ideally, your best way to have this medicine nearby is to grow your own olive trees. To make the medicine, just gather leaves from the trees, wash them, add them to a large container of water and boil it into a concentrate. This liquid can be consumed internally or used topically. Seek the direction of a naturopathic physician, of course, before consuming this internally, and be especially cautious if you are pregnant.

You can just make a tea of olive leaves. Olives are weeds in a Mediterranean climate.

The Five Best Anti-Viral Products to Beat Influenza, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and SARS page 6 - Top Five Anti-Virals

Unfortunately most of the recommendations are for OTC medicines from BigHerba rather than BigPharma.

i just chewed a leaf of Angelica officinalis (the one the fighting angel gave man) i still have this strong tingling sensation in my mouth, similar to the feeling you get from Ecinacea leaves but stronger. i have chewed leaves before and they just tasted like celery. as with many plants, perhaps time of year, or time of the plant's life cycle changes the chemical composition in the plants.

Flu and SARS

A NaturalNews Special Report by Mike Adams

Natural Anti-Virals

Now let's get to the good news. The good news is that natural medicine can save your life. If a pandemic strikes, Tamiflu supplies will be tightly controlled. Unless you're an emergency worker or a health care worker, your chances of ever being given Tamiflu are rather slim. Vaccines, of course, will be utterly useless once the influenza virus mutates, so even receiving a vaccine shot offers no protection other than what's available through the placebo effect.

This leaves natural medicine and the world of anti-viral plants.

Due to the mass brainwashing of the public by pro-Pharma health authorities, most people have no awareness whatsoever of the fact that plants manufacture their own anti-viral medicines.

In fact, there's no such thing as a plant that does not contain anti-viral medicine. EVERY plant on our planet manufactures at least one anti-viral medicine in its own cells.

Did you ever wonder why? It's because plants are under constant attack by viruses, too. And if they don't create their own internal mechanisms for dealing with viruses, they will not survive.

This is especially true with plant roots, which are immersed in soil that's rich with both bacteria and viruses. If those roots do not possess anti-viral and anti-bacterial defenses, they will quickly be consumed and destroyed, killing the plant.

Thus, in virtually all plants, the manufacture of anti-viral medicines is the most natural thing in the world. It happens from day one of the plant sprouting, and it continues through the entire life of the plant.

Simply eating grass (or better yet, juicing grass) is, all by itself, an empowered act of medical self treatment. Grass contains anti-viral compounds, chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals and hundreds of other health-enhancing phytochemicals. (Don't juice grass treated with pesticides, obviously.)

There are other plants, of course, with far greater anti-viral potential than grass. I merely mention this to point out the utter simplicity of finding and consuming anti-viral medicine: If you have a lawn, you have a pharmacy in your yard! (Even better if you have dandelions and other "weeds.")

The Five Best Anti-Viral Products to Beat Influenza, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and SARS page 5 - Natural Anti-Virals

free newsletter available at site.

Lomatium Dissectum

This product is the "secret" anti-influenza herb that very few people know about, even in the natural health industry. The root of the Lomatium is perhaps Mother Nature's "perfect" anti-influenza herb because its anti-viral action is combined with a respiratory clearing action that's especially useful for dealing with the secondary infections caused by many strains of influenza.

The indigenous American Indians grew Lomatium and used it as medicine. If you live in the American Southwest (or other dry, hot climates), you can probably grow this medicine, too. It might be one of the best investments you can make in your own health defense, because herbs that are growing in your yard are always more potent than herbs found in bottles.

? ?

Do any Yanks here know this one?

It is one i don't know about.

Olive Leaf Extract

One taste of real olive life extract and you'll be convinced: This is powerful stuff! The best-known phytochemical in olive leaves is oleuropein, a very potent antimicrobial medicine that also has natural anti-viral properties.

Your best value on a standardized extract, in supplement form, is the NSI brand from VitaCost (http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Olive-L...). I personally like the liquids better (Buy Discount Vitamins, Supplements, Low Carb and More at www.Vitacost.com...), but the taste is a big turn off for most consumers. If you're not into chugging really bizarre-tasting liquids, go with the capsules instead.

Ideally, your best way to have this medicine nearby is to grow your own olive trees. To make the medicine, just gather leaves from the trees, wash them, add them to a large container of water and boil it into a concentrate. This liquid can be consumed internally or used topically. Seek the direction of a naturopathic physician, of course, before consuming this internally, and be especially cautious if you are pregnant.

You can just make a tea of olive leaves. Olives are weeds in a Mediterranean climate.

The Five Best Anti-Viral Products to Beat Influenza, Swine Flu, Bird Flu and SARS page 6 - Top Five Anti-Virals

Unfortunately most of the recommendations are for OTC medicines from BigHerba rather than BigPharma.

i just chewed a leaf of Angelica officinalis (the one the fighting angel gave man) i still have this strong tingling sensation in my mouth, similar to the feeling you get from Ecinacea leaves but stronger. i have chewed leaves before and they just tasted like celery. As with many plants, perhaps time of year, or time of the plant's life cycle changes the chemical composition in the plants.

Icelandic angelica: prevention for swine flu?

Angelica seed heads

By Alex on Jun 16, 2009 in Finance and Business, Iceland, International, MBL, Marketing and Consulting, Science & Technology

Prof. Dr. Sigmundur Gudbjarnason and associates’ research carried out since 1992 reveals that the seeds and leaves of the Icelandic variety of Angelica archangelica contain potent bioactive compounds that help prevent viral infections, such as cold and flu.

The compounds found in the Icelandic angelica herb are known to restrict viral proliferation and strengthen the body against infection by viruses, according to Dr. Gudbjarnason, head of research and development at SagaMedica and former President of the University of Iceland.

What can we learn from the 1918 flu pandemic to help prevent Influenza A (swine flu)?

Dr. Gudbjarnason says, “There are several important antiviral compounds in Angelica archangelica that might be important in prevention of viral infections.

This should be considered if the Influenza A becomes a more severe epidemic and flu medication becomes scarce”

During the time of the Spanish influenza (1), there are accounts of Angelica archangelica being used as flu treatment in Denmark.

Recent studies linking the origin of the swine flu virus to the Spanish influenza (2) of 1918 further suggest that the herb may prove to be an effective prophylactic for swine flu prevention people can use to avoid infection if the Influenza A virus becomes more severe.

Icelandic angelica: prevention for swine flu? | IceNews - Daily News

"Icelandic variety" all the same plant wherever grown.

• 4 weeks later...

ScienceDaily.

Virus-resistant Grapevines

GFLV infects the grapevine and causes fanleaf disease, resulting in deformed and very yellowed leaves, smaller grapes and crop loss.

However, there will soon be a cure for GFLV infections: Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME in Aachen are making certain plants resistant to the GFLV by genetic engineering. “Our modified plants produce antibodies,” explains Dr. Stefan Schillberg, head of department at the IME. “These antibodies ‘recognize’ the viruses and prevent them from spreading in the plant and causing damage.” To enable the plant to produce the antibodies, the scientists have to modify its genotype and channel genetic information for the antibodies into it.

Virus-resistant Grapevines

How come they can't do this with people?

Prunella vulgaris, otherwise known as Selfheal or Heal-all, turns out to have anti-viral properties. native in many places throughout the world, it is native here & i ran across some while on walk-about looking for plants & seeds. i collected a couple whole plants, but not sure if they gonna make it. no worries as there is plenty more plants to go back to in a while & gather seed from. :ip:

anyway, this plant has a long history of medicinal use and now is getting some first class scientific scrutiny. :clue: of particular interest to me, as i suffer a serious peanut/tree nut allergy, is that Selfheal may be effective as a treatment for anaphylaxis! not a bad find considering i checked my epi-pen the other day only to find that it expired 6 years ago. :doh:

anyway, here's some good stuffs: :read:

Prunella Vulgaris : by Ray Sahelian, M.D.

Prunella vulgaris composition

Rosmarinic acid and triterpenoid are some of the substances found in prunella.

Benefit of Prunella Vulgaris

According to some laboratory studies, prunella has many potential benefits, including anti-microbial, anti-viral, and anti-oxidant properties. Prunella may have activity against herpes simplex virus which could be of benefit in oral herpes and genital herpes. However, human studies are lacking therefore not much more can be said about the clinical uses of a prunella vulgaris supplement.

Inhibition of immediate-type allergic reactions by Prunella vulgaris in a murine model.

Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2001 Aug;23(3):423-35.

We studied the effect of aqueous extract of Prunella vulgaris (Labiatae) on immediate-type allergic reactions. Prunella vulgaris (0.005 to 1 g/kg) dose-dependently inhibited systemic anaphylactic shock induced by compound 48/ 80 in rats. When Prunella vulgaris was given as pretreatment, at concentrations ranging from 0.005 to 1 g/kg, the serum histamine levels induced by compound 48/ 80 were reduced in a dose-dependent manner. Prunella vulgaris (0.001 to 1 g/kg) inhibited the passive cutaneous anaphylaxis activated by anti-dinitrophenyl (DNP) IgE antibody dose dependently. Prunella vulgaris also inhibited the histamine release induced by compound 48/80 or anti-DNP IgE from the rat peritoneal mast cells (RPMC). The level of cyclic AMP in RPMC, when Prunella vulgaris was added, significantly increased, compared with that of normal control. Moreover, Prunella vulgaris (0.01 and 0.1 mg/ml) had a significant inhibitory effect on anti-DNP IgE-mediated tumor necrosis factor-alpha production from RPMC. These results indicate that Prunella vulgaris inhibits immediate-type allergic reactions in rats. ...

additional reference to herpes: >>Prunella Vulgaris, Herb for herpes treatment

usda plant profile page: >> PLANTS Profile for Prunella vulgaris (common selfheal) | USDA PLANTS

the flowers don't smell, but sniffing them made me sneeze, and the leaves taste pretty much like leaf. :D i'll put up a pic or 2 later of my plants; it's dark here at the moment. :xmas_sheep: :moon:

Prunella vulgaris is what most people would call a "weed". It's a shame as if they looked up the common name "heal-all", it might click somewhere. :P

Good call Turtle, though I wouldn't substitute it for a fresh epi!

aye. but a weed is just a plant in a place you don't want it. :cup: here's a photo of my new healing weed. :cup: