Science Forums

Anti-Viral Plants

More an article about ethnobotany.

http://www.herbalgram.org/new-chapter/herbalgram/articleview.asp?a=316

Anoying they don't mention the name of the herb

Anyone want to ring Shaman Pharmaceuticals (in USA)and ask?

One example of an ethnomedical profile of an antiviral plant includes a plant utilized for diarrhea, pulmonary problems, cuts, skin irritations, rheumatism, tonsillitis, enhanced fertility, tuberculosis, coughs and flu, hemorrhoids, contraceptives and sore muscles.

This plant is now in human clinical trials as part of an antiviral development program and has yielded a molecule, SP-303, which shows strong in-vitro and in-vivo activity against respiratory syncitial virus as well as influenza A and B. This particular molecule is non-synthesizable due to its complex structure and must be developed and marketed from natural sources in several Latin American countries. Human clinical trials for SP-303 ("Provir") began in October 1991.

An approach that respects the knowledge of local and indigenous people and the forest has helped bring Shaman Pharmaceuticals to the Phase I human clinical trials of an antiviral agent. Indigenous knowledge about the chemical potential of tropical forest species has been brought back to the laboratory where sophisticated scientific techniques are used to analyze and screen these compounds. Shaman has managed, in 16 months, to bring a compound into Phase I human clinical trials. This was accomplished by combining indigenous knowledge with the work of extraordinary effective and skilled natural products chemists and pharmacologists.

The plant itself occurs naturally in ten tropical countries and, after harvesting, regenerates rapidly with minimal management. It is a pioneer species and establishes itself quickly where land has been cleared, especially old garden sites and road sites, making it an ideal addition to buffer zones around protected areas and a component of agroforestry systems.

• 3 months later...

I have heard a lot of good reports of this tree

Pau d'arco - A Potent Antiviral Herb that Combats Bacterial and ...

Pau d'arco - A Potent Antiviral Herb that Combats Bacterial and Viral Infection By Consumer Health Advocate, Frank Mangano ..

Pau d'arco - A Potent Antiviral Herb that Combats Bacterial and Viral Infection

Experts have isolated over 20 active chemicals in pau d'arco and it has demonstrated to effectively combat bacterial and viral infections. In laboratory animals, research has shown pau d'arco to increase the supply of oxygen to cells and thereby helping to destroy bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses by increasing the supply of oxygen to cells.

It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which have made it a recommendation among many for the treatment of allergies, arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. Its medicinal actions include:

There are dozens of different varieties of oregano.

I grow the Greek/ Italian variety. Very hot and strong flavour.

Most seed grown stuff from nurseries is rubbish.

I often add it to my 'sore throat' remedy.

• 1 month later...

Great thread, everyone! I've never heard of many of these plants, but their healing properties are astonishing. I'm suffering from a particularly severe bout of flu at the moment and I was hoping to find some advice here. It's almost 2am in South Africa, and here I am because I'm unable to sleep due to pain and congestion. :turtle:

I'm still sick as a dog, and now willing to try any remedy. I've find something containing cinnamon oil which claims to be a one-day cure for flu. We'll see if that gives me a good night's sleep at last. :sick:

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Chac. Where's that handsome young lad to bring you some chicken soup... or, perhaps Matza ball soup?

I use Scotch and/or Irish Whiskey when under the weather. It works everytime. :lol:

Although, come to think of it, that likely doesn't fall under the category of "anti-viral plants." :sick:

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Chac. Where's that handsome young lad to bring you some chicken soup... or, perhaps Matza ball soup?

Hmmm... good question! I'll certainly take him to task over that one. :airplane:

I use Scotch and/or Irish Whiskey when under the weather. It works everytime. :hihi:

Although, come to think of it, that likely doesn't fall under the category of "anti-viral plants." :pain30:

I'm surprised and overjoyed to announced that the cinnamon remedy seems to be working. I've had a good night's sleep for the first time in over a week and I can almost breathe again. However, I must also admit that this particular remedy also contains a fair amount of alcohol, so I'm not sure where the healing is really coming from. :rant:

• 4 months later...
Neem: Rightly Called the ‘Village Pharmacy’

Modern scientists across the world are trying to find even more uses for this remarkable Neem tree. The plant’s seeds and bark contain compounds with proven anti-septic, anti-viral, anti-pyretic, anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcer and anti-fungal properties

Neem: Rightly Called the ‘Village Pharmacy’
Licorice

Its main ingredient, glycyrrhizin, has also been studied for its anti-viral properties in the treatment of AIDS. Licorice is also used as a topical antiviral agent for shingles, ophthalmic, oral or genital herpes.

Press TV

Is Astragalus a Miracle Remedy for Colds?

Also it is found that Astragalus has antiviral properties which prevents colds.

Is Astragalus a Miracle Remedy for Colds? - Associated Content

THE BENEFITS OF APPLES

Apples, in all varieties, are packed with essential nutrients. They are rich in both insoluble and soluble fibers, flavonoids and polyphenols (both antioxidants and anti-cancerous), calcium, B vitamins and vitamin C.

An apple’s skin is of particular interest since it contains a combination of flavonoids and polyphenols collectively called phytochemicals that are known to have anti-allergenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties

BinghamtonMoms | Where Moms Connect

THE BENEFITS OF APPLES

Apples, in all varieties, are packed with essential nutrients. They are rich in both insoluble and soluble fibers, flavonoids and polyphenols (both antioxidants and anti-cancerous), calcium, B vitamins and vitamin C.

An apple’s skin is of particular interest since it contains a combination of flavonoids and polyphenols collectively called phytochemicals that are known to have anti-allergenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties.

So an apple a day really does keep the doctor away! :interesting:

• 4 weeks later...
So an apple a day really does keep the doctor away! :)

cheap at half the price !!

Some more links

The cures in your kitchen

Broccoli and brussels sprouts

Active molecule Diindolylmethane

The research Combining a potent cocktail of anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer properties, diindolylmethane from brassica vegetables is set to become one of the leading new phytochemical drugs.

The cures in your kitchen - Independent Online Edition > Health

Antiviral and antimicrobial activities of Colombian medicinal plants

ScienceDirect - Journal of Ethnopharmacology : Antiviral and antimicrobial activities of Colombian medicinal plants

Nowadays perfumes are made up of synthetic compounds; however, earlier they were all made from plant oils extracted by various ingenious processes. These plant oils are still being used in certain high-end perfumes. Plant oils that are used in perfume are known to have beneficial effects on the general wellness of human beings. They act as antimicrobial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral, and antibacterial agents. They also are known as antiseptics and strong disinfectants. Thus, people using plant oil based perfumes also benefit from their other properties that promote bodily health.

American Chronicle: Health and Perfume

The company's products include a soft gel formulated from the shinyleaf yellowhorn plant that's designed to alleviate bed-wetting, and an antiviral powder derived from weeping forsythia and other flowering plants.

Traditional Chinese Remedy Maker Has Healthy Stock (American Oriental Bioengineering, Tongjitang Chinese Medicines, China Shenghuo Pharmaceutical Holdings) | SmartMoney.com

Expert to see if plant eases AIDS symptoms

Related Information

AT A GLANCE

AIDS in South Africa

•Approximately 5.3 million of South Africa's 45 million people are HIV-positive.

•An estimated 91,271 babies were born HIV-positive in 2002.

•Almost 25 percent of children under age 15 have lost at least one parent to AIDS.

•Approximately 600 die each day from AIDS complications.

By Jeff Raymond

Staff Writer

A University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center researcher is testing an herbal medicine in South Africa to determine whether it helps alleviate symptoms associated with AIDS.

The research marks the first time Western scientists have been allowed to test a traditional herbal medicine in South Africa to determine its safety and effectiveness against AIDS, according to a news release from the health sciences center.

Researcher Kevin Rudeen is dean of the College of Allied Health. With him is an international team funded by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. The group will study the Sutherlandia frutescens plant, a flowering shrub of the pea family that is native to South Africa.

NewsOK: Expert to see if plant eases AIDS symptoms

Pokeweed grows everywhere here.

long known as a powerful medicinal plant

I think the green berries may be toxic (?)

Title: LOW TEMPERATURE COMPLEX OF POKEWEED ANTIVIRAL PROTEIN WITH PTEORIC ACID

Functional Class: Antiviral Protein

Primary citation: Kurinov, I.V.,Myers, D.E.,Irvin, J.D.,Uckun, F.M. X-ray crystallographic analysis of the structural basis for the interactions of pokeweed antiviral protein with its active site inhibitor and ribosomal RNA substrate analogs. Protein Sci. v8 pp.1765-1772, 1999

1QCJ LOW TEMPERATURE COMPLEX OF POKEWEED ANTIVIRAL PROTEIN WITH PTEORIC ACID Focused compound Library, targeted chemical collection, HTS, uHTS, high throughput screening, ultra high-throughput screening, Novel Active CompoundsRibosome inhibitors rici

See also image location at:-

: waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph24.htm

Melaleuca alternifolia, growing in New South Wales, Australia, from which Tea Tree Oil is extracted.

For info see: University of Western Australia, Tea Tree Oil Research Group

I have found that TTO mixed with Peppermint Oil and applied with an inhaler, one can reduce the severity and length of an URT infection. The Peppermint oil work as an expectorant and thus reduce coughing due to less flam in the URT.

TTO is better known for anti bacterial and anti fungal activity, but does show some anti viral activity as well. Testing reports are a bit few still though.

The antiviral activity of tea tree oil in vitro

• 1 month later...
Melaleuca alternifolia, growing in New South Wales, Australia, from which Tea Tree Oil is extracted.

For info see: University of Western Australia, Tea Tree Oil Research Group

I have found that TTO mixed with Peppermint Oil and applied with an inhaler, one can reduce the severity and length of an URT infection. The Peppermint oil work as an expectorant and thus reduce coughing due to less flam in the URT.

TTO is better known for anti bacterial and anti fungal activity, but does show some anti viral activity as well. Testing reports are a bit few still though.

The antiviral activity of tea tree oil in vitro

This is an extremely effective old remedy.

Almost any essential oil will do the trick.

You need to inhale the medicated steam for 30 mins. or so.

Most essential oils are anti-fungal and antibacterial and probably anti-viral in a big enough dose.

Tea tree is said to be the strongest fungicide of all essential oils. Which makes sense if you grow in a swamp.

This was a fascinating site and list of anti-viral plants;

although I am sure there are a lot more than this.

Search for Antiviral - Plants For A Future database search

jab2 is just saying that he liked your link, M.

+1 usually means something to the effect of "that gets my vote" or "I'll give that my nod of approval".

:(

tar frezetar

for the translation

=1 eh! grovey opps +1

I only speak (old) Australian (see latest Quirky History Post)

Thus encouraged; I will press on

(Please try not to encourage me!)

Nasturtium

Its mustard oils are antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial. They can help treat infections, colds, flu and digestive upsets secondary to yeast or parasites overgrowth.

Press TV

It is also good for liver disorders I will put some in my port!

CYSTUS052, a polyphenol-rich plant extract, exerts anti-influenza virus activity in mice.

Influenza, a respiratory disease caused by influenza viruses, is still a worldwide threat with a high potential to cause a pandemic. Beside vaccination, only two classes of drugs are available for antiviral treatment against the pathogen.

Here we show that CYSTUS052, a plant extract from a special variety of Cistus incanus that is rich in polymeric polyphenols, exhibits antiviral activity against a highly pathogenic avian influenza A virus (H7N7) in cell culture and in a mouse infection model.

CYSTUS052, a polyphenol-rich plant extract, exerts...[Antiviral Res. 2007] - PubMed Result

How can you have a "special variety" of Cistus incanus? It either is Cistus incanus or isn't Cistus incanus.

Perhaps they are keeping their patent options open?

It looks like a nice plant to grow in a Californian style climate?

From memory some cistus have a gum that is collected on the fleece of goats as they graze and was once used in perfumery?