Science Forums

Anti-Viral Plants

Lemon Balm

Lemon Balm is an easy to grow, mint like, herb.

I think it is probably best used fresh.

Certainly the lovely lemon flavour does not seem to survive drying

A fishing buddy of mine - a Mayo doctor - while on an outing on the Mississippi, revealed his secret cold sore treatment.

His cold sore treatment involves the use of lemon balm tea.

These tea bags can be found for cheap anywhere you find specialty teas. If the lemon balm is not "stand alone" but in a blend with other herbs, that will usually be just fine too - as long as lemon balm is the primary.

Dr. W. explained that he discovered lemon balm herb has anti-viral properties and is a natural cold sore treatment. He took a 16 - 20 ounce container of bottled water. He then brewed a strong batch of lemon balm tea using one tea bag per 4 ounces - then froze the tea bags - using these in place of the plain ice cold sore treatment.

You get the comforting effect of ice plus, as the tea-bag melts, the application of the anti-viral properties of lemon balm. He stored the tea back in the original bottles for convenience and further cold sore treatment.

http://www.market-day.net/article_26357/20060918/Cold-Sore-Treatment---Lemon-Balm-Ice.php

• 2 weeks later...

Licorice

Glycyrrhiza glabra and Glycyrrhiza uralensis.

* September 2006

antiviral herb Yarnell and Abascal 2000 described licorice as one

antiviral

Yarnell and Abascal 2000 described licorice as one of the most thoroughly studied botanical immunomodulators for HIV patients both Glycyrrhiza glabra and Glycyrrhiza uralensis.

Glycyrrhizin the major active ingredient seems to serve both as immunomodulator and an antiviral an ideal combination for HIV infection. Intravenous glycyrrhizin also improves liver function in uncontrolled clinical trials in HIV patients.

But there are other useful constituents besides glycyrrhizin.

Hence whole plant extracts should be studied. Whole licorice extracts should be compared head-to-head with glycyrrhizin to determine relative efcacy and safety Yarnell and Abascal 2000.

Standish et al. 2002 note that glycyrrhizin in vitro inhibits viral attachment or fusion. It may also inhibit protein kinase C PKC an activator of NF-kB.

When 4001600 mg glycyrrhizin was administered ivn to three HIV-positive hemophiliacs their viral load was substantially lower after a month.

Another small ivn study in hemophiliacs showed lymphocyte improvement in all

more at . ..

http://instahost.org/antiviral/antiviral-herb-yarnell-and-abascal-2000-described-licorice-as-one

licorice is used in a LOT*** of the traditional medicine here and in china (likely other asian countries)

i think it is in the top three after Ginseng

igrew this once.

i didn't notice that i was any different taking it but . . .?

http://www.tenerifenews.com/cms/front_content.php?client=1&lang=1&idcat=18&idart=4871

Kombucha, the miracle

These days, a lot of people are praying for a miracle. Well, one already is reported to exist in the form of Kombucha (pronounced kom-BOO-cha), the “fungus” tea that is currently receiving the highest of praise in alternative health circles

It is brownish, slimy and looks like something from a Sci-fi B-movie, or an extraterrestrial invader maybe, and certainly not at all appetising, but, be that as it may, the Kombucha fungus may need a bit of care and attention to do well.

However, once you’ve got it growing you usually end up with much more than you actually need and there’s always plenty you can pass on to others.

A healthy Kombucha culture, when given fresh tea and sugar solution, will produce a layer of gradually thickening jelly on top of the original “mother.” This is often referred to as the “baby.” The fungus culture feeds on the simple diet of sugar and tea and the general idea is to let it brew a nourishing elixir, which it does by fermenting the ingredients and turning them into health-giving nutrients.

Kombucha has many exotic-sounding names such as Kargasok Tea, Manchurian Mushroom tea, Fungus Japonicas, Fungojapon, Pichia fermentans, Combuchu, Tschambucco, Mo-gu, Cembuya orientalis, Kvass (Russia), Tea Kvas, Teakwass, Kwassan, Volga Spring, Russian Mother, Manchurian Elixir and Champignon de longue vie (France), but in scientific terms it is known as Medusomyces gisevii Lindau. It is not really a fungus at all, nor is it a type of lichen,

Its first recorded use was in the Chinese Tsin dynasty back in 212 BC but how all these bacteria and yeasts originally came together no one seems to know. Whatever the case may be, the history of its use in many parts of the world is extensive and impressive indeed.

Kombucha was known as “The Divine Tsche” or “The Remedy for Immortality,” and in 414 BC a “Dr. Kombu” is reported to have brought it into Japan to . . .

it contains in varying amounts the following nutrients: Vitamins C, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, and B15, Acetic, Folic, Gluconic , Glucoronic, Usnic , Lactic acids and several beneficial enzymes and essential amino acids. Kombucha helps boost the body’s immune system and brings about a general purification and detoxification process. The Vitamin C assists healing and is an anti-oxidant; the B Vitamins are used in carbohydrate conversion by the body as well as being needed by the nervous system. Gluconic acid is a food preservative and aids the breakdown of glucose. Glucoronic acid is needed to bind toxins that can then be expelled and Usnic acid is reported to have anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.

. . .

There is an ever-growing network of people who cultivate and consume Kombucha and a piece is readily available by mail if you search online or you could try enquiring at your local health shop. Good luck with your brewing if you decide to give it a go. Cheers! Make mine a cuppa Kombucha!

by Steve Andrews.

http://botanical.com/site/column_susun/susun_flu_season.html

Here Comes the Flu Season - Protect Yourself the Wise Woman Way

©2004, Susun S Weed

Along with the beauty of fall days comes the need to get ready for winter. Time to get out my long underwear and my warm wooly socks. Time to nourish my immune system so cold days won't be days of colds - and flu.

I don't rely on modern medicine to keep me healthy, but if you usually rely on a flu shot to protect you, you may feel frightened by your inability to get one this year. You may be wondering what you can do instead. Or you may have discovered that flu shots don't give protection from all types of flu, just the ones the makers guess will be active this winter. And you may wonder if there isn't some other way to prevent the flu. Or maybe, like me, you prefer not to use shots or drugs unless absolutely necessary. You may wonder what herbs and remedies are the best to have on hand to help your family deal with the flu.

No matter what your situation, now is a good time to give yourself the benefit of Wise Woman Ways to prevent - and deal with - the flu. These flu presenters and flu remedies are simple.

They are quite safe. And you don't have to be rich to use them. Wise Woman herbal medicine is people's medicine. Mama Medicine. You can buy most of the things I discuss in this article - and you can find them growing freely, too. You can buy the herbal preparations I mention already made - and you can easily make you own for pennies, too.

These Wise Woman Ways are supported by both tradition and science. Wise women through the centuries have kept themselves and their families safe from contagious diseases. And science has found good reasons for their effectiveness.

I hope these tips will help you face winter's ills with confidence, and good health.

Beat the Flu

The best way to prevent the flu is to build a powerful immune system. While this can't guarantee that you won't get the flu, neither can the flu shot. Here are my favorite ways to keep my immune system strong:

* Eat more garlic.

* Drink nourishing herbal infusions daily.

* Make immune-strengthening soups; or add immune-strengthening herbs to canned soup.

* Use anti-viral herbs as needed.

Eat More Garlic

One of the best immune-system helpers is garlic. Dr. James Duke says it contains at least 17 different factors that nourish and support powerful immune system functioning. Herbalists in the middle ages relied on it to prevent infection from the plague, so it might keep us safe from the flu. Garlic is anti-bacterial, too. If you don't like fresh raw garlic, powdered garlic is just as good. The dose is 1 or more cloves of raw garlic per day, or up to a teaspoon of garlic powder. Here are a few of my favorite ways to eat raw garlic:

* Top scrambled eggs with minced raw garlic.

* Put chopped raw garlic on pasta and cover with tomato sauce.

* Try minced raw garlic on a piece of hot buttered toast. Delicious!

* Add minced raw garlic to your baked potato.

* Mix chopped raw garlic and olive oil with hot cooked greens like kale or spinach.

Drink Nourishing Herbal Infusions

Nourishing herbal infusions are the basis of great nourishment for the immune system and the entire body. They are full of antioxidant vitamins, minerals, proteins, phytoestrogens, and hundreds of protective phytochemicals that work to help you ward off the flu and colds too. Here's how I make a nourishing herbal infusion:

* Choose one herb: nettle, oatstraw, red clover, comfrey leaf, linden flowers, or violet leaf.

* Place one full ounce, by weight, of any one herb in a quart jar. A canning jar is best.

* Fill the jar to the top with boiling water.

* Screw on a tight lid

* Let it steep for four hours, or overnight.

* Strain the liquid out, squeezing the herb.

* Refrigerate the infusion, where it will be good for 24-36 hours.

I drink two to four cups nourishing herbal infusions daily - over ice, heated up with honey and milk, or mixed with other beverages.

Make Immune Strengthening Soups

Cooking herbs and vegetables together for a long time extracts minerals, activates immune-strengthening phytochemicals, and increases the levels of available antioxidants. Raw foods weaken and stress the immune system. To make an immune strengthening soup:

* Chop at least half an onion per person and sauté in olive oil until translucent.

* Add at least two cloves of garlic, sliced or chopped, per person and sauté for a minute.

* Add two or more cups of water or vegetable broth per person.

* Add one cup per person of chopped seasonal vegetables such as:

carrots, cabbage, celery, corn, burdock, turnips, potatoes, tomatoes, parsnips

(If using canned soup, begin here.)

* Add one small handful of seaweed per person.

* Add one ounce fresh, or one-half ounce dried mushrooms - any kind - per person.

* Add one-quarter ounce dried tonic roots per person.

* Add generous amounts of antioxidant seasoning herbs and some sea salt.

* Bring to a boil; simmer for an hour.

* Turn off fire and let your soup mellow in a cool place overnight.

* Serve it the next day, heated up, with freshly-baked bread and organic raw milk cheese.

Seaweeds build powerful immunity. Kombu and wakame are excellent in soups. Cut them small; they swell to 5-7 times their dried size when cooked.

All mushrooms strengthen the immune system. Dried shitake are available and inexpensive at Chinese grocery stores. Reishii, maitake, and other medicinal mushrooms are delicious, as are the more common button mushrooms, portobellos, and dried porcinni.

Tonic roots help our livers, lymph, and kidneys work well, protecting us from infection. I often put these tough roots into a jelly bag and drop that into the soup so I can fish it out before serving. I use one or more of these, fresh or dried, depending on what I have available:

* Siberian ginseng

* Astragalus

* Burdock

* Dandelion

* Chicory

* Yellow dock

* American ginseng.

Seasoning herbs from the mint family - rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, and sage - are loaded with antioxidants. I don't just season the soup with them; I add them by the handful for the greatest impact on my immune strength.

Anti-Viral Herbs

Anti-infective herbs can help us prevent the flu - and assist us if we do get sick. Colds and the flu are caused by viruses, making them more difficult to treat than bacterial infections. Viruses are more vital than bacteria and harder to kill. There are many anti-bacterial herbs - including yarrow, echinacea, elecampane, and poke - but few that are anti-viral. Of these, my favorite is St. Joan's/John's wort. If any herb can prevent the flu, St.J's can.

Of course, even flu shots don't prevent all types of flu, and they don't prevent colds, so even if you do get a shot, it's a good idea to have some anti-viral and anti-bacterial herbs on hand. The distinction between them is not so important once you are sick. Both types of herbs will alert the immune system to the infection and help it gather the resources needed to counter it. Did you know that the achy muscles and headachy feeling we get with the flu is not caused by the flu itself but results from the immune system gobbling up all available resources so it can clobber the flu virus?

St. Joan's/John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)

This beautiful yellow flower yields a blood-red tincture that I take by the dropperful to prevent viral infections such as the flu. A dropperful in the morning throughout the cold months is adequate for prevention. I increase that to 2-3 dropperfuls a day if I have been exposed at home or at work to the flu. If I do get sick, I will use other herbs to counter the infection. Capsules of St. J's are ineffective; I only use the tincture.

Echinacea (Echinacea augustifolia)

The tincture of echinacea root is a well-known anti-infective. When I feel an infection brewing, I use large doses of echinacea to build white blood cells and encourage T-helper cells. The dose of echinacea root tincture is 1 drop for every 2 pounds of body weight, as frequently as every hour or two in the acute phase of an infection, 2-4 times a day otherwise. I have seen echinacea relieve terrible flu infections.

Important: I do not use echinacea as a preventative; it doesn't seem to work that way. I do not use any part of this plant except the root. I do not combine it with goldenseal, which I believe hinders the immune system. I do not take echinacea in capsules.

I make a quart of echinacea tincture each fall as my winter insurance. Here's how I do it: Put 4 ounces of dried Echinacea augustifolia root in a quart jar. Fill to the top with 100 proof vodka. Cap tightly and label. Shake daily for the first week. Then weekly for at least eight weeks.

Poke (Phytolacca americana)

The tincture of this root is so powerful some authors consider it poisonous. You may have a hard time finding it for sale. But poke is an important helper when flu "bugs" have taken over. I would not take poke as a preventative; it is far too strong. I use poke root tincture to kick my immune system into high gear. The dose is one drop - yes, only one drop - once or twice a day for no more than a month, although in serious cases I may use up to 8 doses a day. Poke root tincture can harm the kidneys if it is taken continuously. I never take capsules of poke root.

Elecampane (Inula helenium)

The tincture of this root is a favorite for clearing lung infections and countering the flu. The usual dose is 10-15 drops 2-3 times a day, but I would increase the dose to 6 times a day in an acute situation. I expect to see results within a day or less. I would only take elecampane if I had an active infection; it has little protective value. I never use elecampane capsules.

Elder (Sambucus canadensis)

Elder flowers are a nice remedy for those with a feverish cold, but for those with the flu, I prefer elder berries. The most common way to take them is in the form of a syrup. The immune enhancing properties of elder berries are renowned in Europe and slowly gaining popularity in the United States. Elder berry syrup also eases coughs and lung congestion.

Winter is Coming

Herbs may not seem strong enough to prevent or counter the flu, but they are. When we use herbs to maintain and regain health, we not only take a big step toward health independence but a small step toward peace on our planet. Instead of making war on weeds, I use them. Instead of making war on nature, I let Her guide me. Instead of making war on myself when I'm sick, I nourish myself toward greater health, greater peace.

Green blessings surround us. Herbs not only protect us from the flu, they can uplift our hearts and bring us joy in trying and uncertain times.

This herb has a plethora of medicinal and recreational uses. But this one was news to me

Cannabis May Help Combat Cancer-causing Herpes Viruses

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/09/040923092627.htm

Tampa, FL (Sept. 22, 2004) -- The compound in marijuana that produces a high, delta-9 tetrahydrocannbinol or THC, may block the spread of several forms of cancer causing herpes viruses, University of South Florida College of Medicine scientists report.

The findings, published Sept. 15 in the online journal BMC Medicine, could lead to the creation of antiviral drugs based on nonpsychoactive derivatives of THC.

Research Holds Promise For Herpes Vaccine

A study by a Montana State University researcher suggests a new avenue for developing a vaccine against genital herpes and other diseases caused by herpes simplex viruses.

Montana State University virologist Bill Halford has successfully tested a herpes vaccine in mice. His research may lead to a human vaccine against genital herpes, which is carried by an estimated 55 million Americans.

In a study published earlier this year in the Virology Journal, MSU virologist William Halford showed that mice vaccinated with a live, genetically-modified herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) showed no signs of disease 30 days after being exposed to a particularly lethal "wild-type" strain of the virus

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/10/061013201826.htm

Phyllanthus urinaria L.

chamber bitter

Pic here (Can anyone find a better one?)

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PHUR

Gets rid of hepatitis A clinical study. ?

Phyllanthus urinaria (L) were both more likely to lose detectable hepatitis B e-antigen from their serum and more likely to seroconvert hepatitis B e-antibody status from negative to positive than were patients given either of the other two

(treatments)

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3700673

A nicely written rave (I think they also sell it)

Wonderful phyllanthus - the world's most valuable herb

Nothing has changed in 500 years. Like in the 15th century when the Dutch discovered that these Eastern islands were a treasure trove of useful aromatic plant species, Indonesia still today is an incredibly rich source for herbs of therapeutic value.

Take for example phyllanthus urinaria (called rumput menir or meniran in Indonesian). This amazing herb has been known for hundreds of years to cure kidney and gallbladder stones, and at the same time help those with liver disease.

And the efficacy of both applications have been proven in numerous scientific studies. But this is not all. The benefit phyllanthus urinaria provides in cases of liver damage is mostly due to the plants anti-viral activity.

Now, there are not many strongly anti-viral compounds at the hand of mankind. We have managed to discover and manufacture antibiotics to fight bacteria, but against viral diseases, we are almost weaponless.

http://www.phyllanthus.net/index.htm

Seems to grow everwhere in WA

http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/browse/flora?f=185&level=s&id=13927&PHPSESSID=bcca6cd0a525ba2a46332ce07d73e1e1

Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllanthus_urinaria

Although of Asian origin, the weed is widely found in all tropical regions of the world. In the United States, it is found in southern states such as Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, New Mexico or Texas.

I am not sure how you tell the difference between this and sensitive plant (mimosa) which has taken over most of Northern Australia.

Green and black teas, because of the tannins and polyphenols in them (especially the flavonoids) seem to possess anti-bacterial and anti-viral activity. The polyphenols and tannic acids stick to and mess up protein receptors on bacteria and viruses. Also, the strong antioxidants help to regulate and moderate the immune system.

Blueberries, boysenberries, cranberries (as I think someone already mentioned), and a few other berries which are rich in antioxidants and polyphenols also have a lot of anti-pathogenic action. IIRC, Native Americans would sometimes dry blueberries or their leaves and powder them to use for wounds and sores to prevent infection. The anthocyanins and other chemicals in blueberries seem to affect bacteria, viruses, and fungi by similar mechanisms as in tea and also boost the immune system and lower blood pressure.

In addition to oregano, which is a fabulous herb, rosemary is also noted for its anti-bacterial and anti-viral oils. Many members of the mint family have medicinal as well as culinary uses.

I am not sure how you tell the difference between this and sensitive plant (mimosa) which has taken over most of Northern Australia.

the 2 plants look very different. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PHUR

everything from the way mimosa tends to grow as a creeper, to the seeds and flowers. mimosa leaves are far more numerous, smaller and grow in "leaf groups" (i totally forgot how to call the "groups of leaves" :) ). i have no experience with Phyllanthus urinaria, but going from photos it looks rather different.

mimosa pudica pictures: http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=mimosa+pudica&btnG=Search

Phyllanthus urinaria pictures:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Phyllanthus%20urinaria&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

• 3 weeks later...

Ecinacea is a cottage garden plant with a pretty pink flower. Sometimes called "Black Eyed Susan"

http://www.nutraingredients.com/news/ng.asp?n=72143-echinacea-peppermint-herbals

Echinacea on the up in UK, say retailers

By Jess Halliday

All news for November 2006

17/11/2006 - With the cold season well and truly upon us, it seems that Brits are turning to herbal remedies in a bid to stave off the sniffles.

Both Boots and the National Association of Healthfood Stores this week reported an increase in sales of echinacea.

The NAHS does not keep in depth statistics, but chair John McKee has estimated sales of the herb to be in the region of £30m.

He told NutraIngredients.com that he believes use of echinacea is increasing.

High street retailer Boots, meanwhile, has reported that it is selling almost 7,000 packs of echinacea per week – around one per minute.

The reports point to opportunities for manufacturers to use herbals in their products and for retailers to stock them.

It also indicates that the market may be ripe for the introduction and promotion of hitherto little-known herbals – such as Frutarom's pink rock rose extract, which has a history of use for respiratory infections and gastrointestinal health.

Of the echinacea gains, McKee said: “I expect it is down to word of mouth.

It gets its fair share of negative publicity, but the people who use it know it works.”

McKee added that echinacea is particularly useful given the tendency for colds to turn into chest infections, since it is an anti-viral as well as an anti-bacterial.

On the other hand, he does not think that fears over bird ‘flu that were rife last year had a great impact in herbs said to protect against colds – even though some experts said that a weakened immune system from ordinary ‘flu or winter illnesses may make people more susceptible to the human form of the H5N1.

A much-publicised study in the New England Journal of Medicine in July 2005 concluded that the herb did not have a significant effect on infection with a rhinovirus, but the methodology has been strongly questioned by herbal experts.

In particular, the study did not use a commercially available product, and dosage was lower than the standard dose in the US – 1g per day compared to 3g.

Lemon balm is an easy to grow herb.

It is probably best used fresh, not dried.

Lemon Balm

Lemon balm

Lemon Balm Lemon Balm has many excellent properties and is safe, effective and tasty. It is primarily used to calm the nervous system. A cup of Lemon Balm tea, sweetened with a touch of honey is a wonderful remedy for headaches, depression, and insomnia. One herbalist recommends combining it with Chamomile flowers to "take the edge off a stressful day". A scientist/Doctor at the University of London endorses it for treating migraine headaches.

Lemon Balm can also be used for digestive purposes. It possess a high concentration of essential oils and has anti-spasmodic properties while it helps to relieve gas pains.

• 2 weeks later...
Abstract Extracts of 13 Korean seaweeds, previously shown to contain antiviral activity, were investigated in more detail in order to learn the nature of the antiviral compounds and their mechanisms of action.

One extract, from Codium fragile, was active against all three test viruses (herpes simplex, HSV; Sindbis, SINV; polio), whereas the others were more selective. Thus four species, Enteromorpha linza, Colpomenia bullosa, Scytosiphon lomentaria, and Undaria pinnatifida, were active against HSV and SINV, but not poliovirus.

The other eight were active against either HSV or SINV.

In all cases there was evidence for photosensitizers, since the antiviral activities required or were enhanced substantially by light.

In general UVA (long wave ultraviolet) was much more effective than visible light in promoting activity, although the extract of Sargassum sagamianum could be activated equally by either.

In experiments to determine the site of action of these antiviral extracts, the predominant activity was virucidal (i.e. direct inactivation of virus particles), rather than inhibition of virus replication, although Sargassum sagamianum also could protect cells against subsequent virus infection.

These results imply that different antiviral compounds are present among the extracts, and furthermore the activities cannot be explained in terms of common ingredients such as polysaccharides or tannins.

We suggest that seaweeds may be a source of potentially useful and interesting antiviral compounds.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g34g44887m53401w/

This is an interesting read

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=88925

The use of and search for drugs and dietary supplements derived from plants have accelerated in recent years.

Ethnopharmacologists, botanists, microbiologists, and natural-products chemists are combing the Earth for phytochemicals and “leads” which could be developed for treatment of infectious diseases.

While 25 to 50% of current pharmaceuticals are derived from plants, none are used as antimicrobials.

Traditional healers have long used plants to prevent or cure infectious conditions; Western medicine is trying to duplicate their successes.

Plants are rich in a wide variety of secondary metabolites, such as tannins, terpenoids, alkaloids, and flavonoids, which have been found in vitro to have antimicrobial properties.

This review attempts to summarize the current status of botanical screening efforts, as well as in vivo studies of their effectiveness and toxicity.

The structure and antimicrobial properties of phytochemicals are also addressed. Since many of these compounds are currently available as unregulated botanical preparations and their use by the public is increasing rapidly, clinicians need to consider the consequences of patients self-medicating with these preparations.

. . .

FOR THE CHEMISTS

Plants have an almost limitless ability to synthesize aromatic substances, most of which are phenols or their oxygen-substituted derivatives (76).

Most are secondary metabolites, of which at least 12,000 have been isolated, a number estimated to be less than 10% of the total (195).

In many cases, these substances serve as plant defense mechanisms against predation by microorganisms, insects, and herbivores.

Some, such as terpenoids, give plants their odors; others (quinones and tannins) are responsible for plant pigment.

Many compounds are responsible for plant flavor (e.g., the terpenoid capsaicin from chili peppers), and some of the same herbs and spices used by humans to season food yield useful medicinal compounds (Table 1).

Useful antimicrobial phytochemicals can be divided into several categories, described below and summarized in Table 2.

Anyone with, or has afriend with, AIDS might like to look these references up.

Eating licorice can't be that horrible atreatment.

. . .

Effective therapies for HIV infection are being sought far and wide, in the natural world as well as in laboratories. As one example of in vivo anti-HIV studies, infection in mice has been studied.

Glycyrrhizin, found in Glycyrrhiza plants (the source of licorice), extended the life of the retrovirus-infected mice from 14 to 17 weeks (242). A crude extract of the cactus Opuntia streptacantha had marked antiviral effects in vitro, and toxicity studies performed in mice, horses, and humans found the extract to be safe (3).

The scope of studies of anti-HIV plant extracts is too broad to handle in detail in the present review, but Table 6 summarizes many of the compounds studied to date as well as their purported targets of action. The interested reader is referred to several useful reviews (36, 155, 172, 217).

Tobacco farmers might be able to turn to growing tobacco for its anti-viral properties!

SEE:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/87/2/588.pdf

Why don't we just determine what the key chemicals are and produce them artificially...

that sounds more economic than harvesting rare plants. :naughty:

Sometimes it's not just a question of determining what the key chemicals are, but also the method and dose of administration, how they react with other common chemicals or physiological conditions in us, are metabolized by gut flora, processed by the hepatic portal and liver enzymes, etc. These can alter or greatly modify the actions of key chemicals. (Basically, we're getting into pharmacology here, which is something beyond me.) For example, green tea catechins (the primary powerful antioxidants) are modified in the digestive system, and I think EGCG molecules become covalently bonded with each other and this improves bioavailability (what is absorbed into the bloodstream). I don't remember exactly what chemical reactions take place, and even so, my organic chemistry is really rusty. Anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion that what is often tested in vitro on cultured cells may not always translate into applicable results in vivo or in people.

Here's a good site with apprx. 10 pages of information on antiviral plants. :)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_6_6/ai_81761453

Nice. :hihi:

• 4 weeks later...
Mangosteen

Hyssop has antiviral activity against herpes simplex and HIV-1.

Licorice may be helpful.

Olive Leaf has anti-HIV activity

Rooibos tea has anti-HIV activity.

Ginseng -- CD4+ T cell counts in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1-infected patients are maintained or even increased when treated with Korean red ginseng. High doses of ginseng can be overly stimulating and cause insomnia.

Catuaba, an Amazonian plant, has anti-HIV activity.

Marigold

More info on these herbs here

HIV : by Ray Sahelian, M.D., hiv natural therapy hiv herbs

mostly talking about HIV but hey if it can get Hiv it can get other bugs too right?

Aaron’s rod

Widely cultivated in Egypt and in central and southern Europe, Aaron’s rod is a herbaceous biennial.

The plant is covered in yellowfish down, which was once used for making wicks for candles hence it is sometimes known as the ‘candlewick plant’.

Research has indicated that Aarons rod has anti-viral properties and it may also help to inhibit the spread of cancer.

Medicine and health » Blog Archive » Aaron’s rod

Research Article

Phytochemical screening and antiviral activity of some medicinal plants from the island Soqotra

The methanol extracts of Boswellia ameero, Boswellia elongata, Buxus hildebrandtii, Cissus hamaderohensis, Cleome socotrana, Dracaena cinnabari, Exacum affine, Jatropha unicostata and Kalanchoe farinacea showed anti-influenza virus type A activity with 50% inhibition (IC50) concentrations ranging from 0.7 to 12.5 �g/mL.

In addition, 17 plants of the 25 investigated exhibited anti-HSV-1 activity. The antiviral activity of some active extracts was also observed on a molecular level

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

• 2 weeks later...
Introduction

Co-evolution between plants and their natural enemies – including insects, bacteria,fungi, nematodes, animals, humans, and viruses – is considerably more far reaching than current theories of reciprocal interactions suggest.

Counter-resistance, genetic adaptability, polymorphic immune capacity, and pleomorphism among microbial agents allow for immense diversity of species and endless biochemical possibilities.1

In order to adapt to environmental insults, plants produce a vast number of natural products that have antimicrobial and immunomodulating potential.2 These include isoflavonoids, indoles, phytosterols, polysaccharides, sesquiterpenes, alkaloids, glucans, tannins, a variety of vitamins and trace minerals that function as antioxidants and co-enzymes, and many other phytochemical substances.

In addition, there are a number of parallels between plant immunological activity and the immune systems of mammals, including adaptive mechanisms for viral resistance.3

. . .

Uña de Gato (Uncaria tomentosa)

Uncaria tomentosa, or uña de gato

(cat’s claw), is the best known of the Peruvian

medicinal plants and the most frequently

represented in the literature. A woody vine

containing a clear watery sap, it grows wild in

the upper Amazon region of Peru and

neighboring countries, and can reach several

inches in diameter and 1,000 feet in height.

. . .

Sangre de Grado (Croton lechleri)

Croton lechleri is a large tree that

grows in the upper Amazon region of Colombia,

Ecuador, and Peru where the majority of

the field research has taken place. A dark red

resin, from which the name sangre de grado

derives, flows easily from cuts in the bark and

is used fresh or processed into a pow ered dry

extract of the resin for medicinal purposes. In

traditional Amazonian medicine sangre de

grado is used as an oral gargle for sore throat,