Science Forums

What's Hidden in the Vatican Library?

Turtle

Jimmy Hoffa?

Jimmy may be in the hidden Vatican library in Canada, yes. Let's ask to look shall we?

I don't recall whether he [Glen Kimball] said what book if any yet extant the Canada/Vatican library connection is documented, but he did quote the source. I'll see if the radio show has a transcript.

Your Sincere Devil's Advocate,

Viceroy Turtle Mack

OK There is no written transcript that I can find. I listened to the show on KEX 1190 am radio out of Portland Oregon. The site for the radio show has a podcast, but only if you join as a Streamlink memeber.

The radio show is Coast To Coast AM & here is their site & the date of the program:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

Tueday August 15th, 2006

I know someone will attack the Coast To Coast show, but before you do, take a look at last night's guest.

Professor Bart Kosko, Ph.D., J.D.

http://sipi.usc.edu/~kosko/books.html

Cutting edge ladies & germs...cutting edge.:shrug:

I just found out that you can indeed look at the materials in the Vatican Library (secret or otherwise).

You must first be authorized.

You must then give the name of the reference material you wish to request. You can't just give a random topic. You have to have a specific title in mind.

Then the Vatican may authorize the request to see said material.

Do they have a catalogue?

One of the problems with big old libraries like the Vatican and the Bodlean is that they are not sure what they have either.

In 1930 a fascinating Herbal Text written by a Spanish Monk about the Aztec herbs in the 15C was discovered.

It has just been lost among everything else. The best way to hide a piece of hay is in a haystack!

500 copies were reprinted.(The Bandianus Manuscript) I am lucky enough to own one. I believe that Dover has recently made a re-print.

I was shocked by the disarray of the Bodlean library when I visited there years ago. They couldn't even find a film copy of manuscript they advertised for sale in their gift shop!

Italy has just too much history. They don't have the resources or inclination to save much of it.

Coming from a country with 200 years of European settlement I found Italy's cavalier disregard for its treasures shocking. Then I realised they were blaze because they had too much history.

The first casualty of global warming will be Venice

Indeed they do. Searchable through the Vatican's main website.

Do you suppose they list the books, scrolls, and other texts they are hiding?:)

By the way, that Hoffa crack just about killed me. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

It was pretty good, huh...inasmuch as he was Catholic!? :)

Do you suppose they list the books, scrolls, and other texts they are hiding?:shrug:

It was pretty good, huh...inasmuch as he was Catholic!? :hyper:

I don't think you need the paranoia.

Anything unlisted is probably more due to the immensity of the job and Italian insouciance.

If you want to be paranoid; Look instead for confidential papers on the political exploits of the Moonies, Assembly of God, other right wing religious groups and Opus Dei; who all engage in secret political machinations.

As I said the Bodlean at Oxford is just as bad. Their problem is lack of money. Last I looked they did not have a complete catalogue of their collection.

I don't think you need the paranoia.

Anything unlisted is probably more due to the immensity of the job and Italian insouciance.

Just because a person is paranoid doesn't mean there isn't good reason for it.:shrug: Italy has no control of the Vatican any more than any other country; what a silly notion you propose.:hyper: Why does a church need a private armed army? Surely not to protect any secret vaults, even deep underground ones. Surely not. "Stop calling me Shirley!"

If you want to be paranoid; Look instead for confidential papers on the political exploits of the Moonies, Assembly of God, other right wing religious groups and Opus Dei; who all engage in secret political machinations.

I don't want to be paranoid, it just comes naturally; and I'm not after papers of that ilk, I'm after the ancient texts the Vatican is hiding that they stole. :eek2:

Just because a person is paranoid doesn't mean there isn't good reason for it.:shrug: Italy has no control of the Vatican any more than any other country; what a silly notion you propose.:hyper: Why does a church need a private armed army? Surely not to protect any secret vaults, even deep underground ones. Surely not. "Stop calling me Shirley!"

OK Shirley,

The Vatican is run by Italians. Italians have a very laid-back attitude to things we would regard as priceless treasures.

There is just too much history for them to care about and not enough will or money to preserve it all

The army is purely tradition and crowd control.

A 14C pike is a bit different to a Yank or Brit automatic weapon.

Remember too a couple of Popes have been assasinated and Art works like the Pieta vandalised by nuts.

OK Shirley,

The Vatican is run by Italians. Italians have a very laid-back attitude to things we would regard as priceless treasures.

The Vatican is a Sovereign State; it just happens to be fully within Italy. It most assuredly is not run by Italy.

is a sovereign city-state whose territory consists of a landlocked, almost completely walled, enclave within the city of Rome, Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_City

The army is purely tradition and crowd control.

A 14C pike is a bit different to a Yank or Brit automatic weapon.

Surely you jest.:)

After the May 13, 1981 assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II by Mehmet Ali Agca, a much stronger emphasis has been made of the Swiss Guards' functional, non-ceremonial roles. This has included extended training in unarmed combat and with issue SIG P 75 pistols (a.k.a. P220) and Heckler & Koch submachine-guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard

Mercedes Benzene

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtle

Why does a church need a private armed army?

I certainly would not call it an army. It's a bunch of swiss men dressed like clowns that carry spears and swords. They are BODYGUARDS to the Pope.

Not an army.

See above. :doh:

Do you always believe what wikipedia says?? It's called a wiki for a reason.

I have seen the Swiss guard in person. They don't carry guns at all, I assure you.

Besides, even if they have been trained in using those sorts of weapons, don't you think that's a good thing?? They are protecting a leader. You're trying to make a point that is comparable to saying that the US secret service shouldn't carry guns.

If YOU had someone try to murder you, you would be glad to have bodyguards that knew how to fire a pistol.

Do you always believe what wikipedia says?? It's called a wiki for a reason.

I have seen the Swiss guard in person. They don't carry guns at all, I assure you.

If YOU had someone try to murder you, you would be glad to have bodyguards that knew how to fire a pistol.

Good grief Mercedes! Do you really think my source is wrong? Look up some other sources for yourself then to see what is the truth of the weapons they carry. See if you find any that contradict mine.

I trust in my own ability to shoot my own pistol thank you very much.

The point is, this is a religion acting like a country, and like all religions it is based on fairy tales of ghosties & spirits & god itself laying down the law. The Vatican has murdered more people in this world than most countries & stolen books to who laid the chunk. Look what they did to Galileo & his writing. The Maya & theirs. They continue to drain people of their money & hide property that belongs to the whole world.

It's time to put an end to it by force of law. Oh,...IMHO:eek2: :cup:

PS In case you're too busy:

Web Search ResultsResults 1 - 10 of about 22,100 for guns of the Vatican Guard

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/22/world/main1227397.shtml

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1562676/posts

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=1620924#post1620924

And the guards at Buckingham palace that tourists take photos of carry bayonnets without a trace of a bullet! What do "Yank and Brit" automatic weapons have that a Beretta lacks?

The Papal State was a quite large part of Italy for centuries, look up the breach of Porta Pio, and of course it was one of the two sides of the coin in the Holy Roman Empire.

The trouble is quite certainly that it would be a huge expense to look after everything properly. Of course there's also the effect of being accustomed to something which is a rarity for others. Plenty of people of culture over here put great efforts into these things.

• 1 year later...
Hmmm... here's an interesting article that I thought you all may enjoy!

Knights Templar secrets revealed - CNN.com

Thanks Benzy! :cup: Another crook off the hook? :cup::turtle: I especially like how the article repeatedly called the archive "secret" rather than simply saying the Vatican archive. Well, we have at least established something that was hidden in there. I wonder if the new found bits describe the immoral depravities of the Templar Knights in excrutiating detail? Could account for the high price for a copy.

The 300-page volume recently came out in a limited edition -- 799 copies -- each priced at $8,377, said Scrinium publishing house, which prints documents from the Vatican's secret archives.

Mmmmmm cheeeezzzyyyy. :cup: :camera::eek::idea::fluffy:

• 4 months later...