Science Forums

Distractingly loud ringing ears.

My ears have been ringing quite loud for the past 12 hours. It was hard to sleep last night because of how distrancting the ringing was.

I was wondering two things.

First- what causes your ears to ring? Obviously, loud noise.... but why? Are my ear drums just vibrating slightly from how loud the vibrations were last night?

and also- I doubt there is anything I can do about it.... but has anyone ever heard of any methods for getting your ears to stop ringing? or at least getting them to ring less?

My ears have been ringing quite loud for the past 12 hours. It was hard to sleep last night because of how distrancting the ringing was.

I'd suggest getting your blood pressure checked, ringing in the ears is a symptom of high blood pressure. This condition could result in a serious health issue.....................Infy

I'd suggest getting your blood pressure checked, ringing in the ears is a symptom of high blood pressure. This condition could result in a serious health issue.....................Infy

oh, I'm not worried about any of that. I was at a loud concert last night. Which is why my ears are ringing.

What I'm wondering is... what is physically happening in my ear that is causing this?

all of the ads revolve around tinnitus.

Tinnitus is ringing ears...

Anyway, being at a concert last night is a horse of a different color!

Your eardrums were abused. It's that simple. After being subjected to such harsh levels of noise, they are able to "relax" now. I would imagine your brain is having temporary difficulty interpreting what it is hearing... since it was interpreting such loud noises for so long.

This is my best guess. :lightning

oh, I'm not worried about any of that. I was at a loud concert last night. Which is why my ears are ringing.

What I'm wondering is... what is physically happening in my ear that is causing this?

http://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.htm#loud-music

I encourage you to wear hearing protection (ear plugs) at concerts. I have 3 distinct "ring-tones" as my constant companions, which the audiologist says is permanent and un-correctible. It is likely in part due to working as a concert roady, but also recreationally listening to loud music, repeated exposure to gunfire without hearing protection, and exposure both protected and not to industrial equipment.:lightning

Basically there are these little tiny hairs called cilia immersed in a fluid within the ear. A pressure wave (sound) comes into the ear, pushes the fluid, and the cilia are bent. This causes the nerve to fire and signal to transmit to the brain for interpretation.

If the force of the pressure wave it too great (the sound is too loud), the cilia will break, and cannot be fixed. It's possible you've broken more cilia than usual, and the "ringing" is related to the constant neurofiring at the contact point of that hair. It will burn out eventually, or your body will assimilate and tune it out if this is the case.

The only way really to make the ringing "stop" as far as I know would be to listen to something that had the exact opposite frequency and cancelled out the sound you are hearing now.

Basically there are these little tiny hairs called cilia immersed in a fluid within the ear. A pressure wave (sound) comes into the ear, pushes the fluid, and the cilia are bent. This causes the nerve to fire and signal to transmit to the brain for interpretation.

If the force of the pressure wave it too great (the sound is too loud), the cilia will break, and cannot be fixed. It's possible you've broken more cilia than usual, and the "ringing" is related to the constant neurofiring at the contact point of that hair. It will burn out eventually, or your body will assimilate and tune it out if this is the case.

The only way really to make the ringing "stop" as far as I know would be to listen to something that had the exact opposite frequency and cancelled out the sound you are hearing now.

oh, wow. That's a trip.

dead cilia.