Science Forums

Marijuana as Medicine

lol, sounds pretty crazy!

maybe your lightning thing isn't so off. P. cubensis are tropical fungus. winter is cool and dry, summer is hot and dry and wet. usually its humid and hot. so when clouds come roaring in the temps (and air pressure, probably not a trigger) go down and humidity moisture go up. because it has been so hot during the summer, and there is some moisture the mycelium will often grow a bit, when the temps drop and the humidity and moisture are high they will fruit (mushrooms). this allows them to fruit and spread their seeds without drying up in the otherwise hot sun. not always but usually. for the record this specie will grow on seemingly any organics containing cellulose and plant material. grass clippings/straw, grains, paper you name it. may not fruit, but the mycelium is very aggressive. i have used it to study composting a bit (not as great as others do to easily being overtaken by other mycelium).

But Freeztar, in the PNW (i am from there as well) the "magic mushrooms" there are much different. some grow in grass, especially old cow fields, some grow right from decaying wood (Seattle is famous for this), others form relationships with roots of trees. there are lots of "magic" mushroom species. In the PNW most of our mushrooms seem to like fall/winter/spring, usually before and after the snow, but not always. Things like our "magic mushroom" species, edibles like chantrelles, lobster (and the Russule sp. they take over) etc. others like oyster mushrooms fruit all year round, weather permitting. every specie is different but many mushrooms fruit with a humidity/moisture trigger and a temperature trigger.

anyway. back to Med. pot. i think that one HUGE obstacle for the use of medicinal pot is the fact it is smoked and despite how much you fight for it, smoking ANYTHING is just unhealthy! so i think they need to find new ways of oral use. maybe a "Pot Patch" or something, cause many illnesses it's just not safe to smoke stuff with. Or maybe we could start buying vaporizers with our prescription pot.

Micheal i am not sure the exact scenario, but there has been a lot of interference from the USA in canadas doings, not just pot. same as anywhere but the states can't go to war with canada so they threaten trades and our "relationship". Look into the arrest of the Marijuana party guy in vancouver...mark something (i forget his name). And yes medical Marijuana is legal in canada, i have a friend who legally gets it. but i do not think there are very many people who are legally allowed to use it. still getting there. But its no where near legal, it has been decriminalized in small quantities which is one step forward....but it really is not as "legal" as many people seem to think.

God that Cow

No more herb teas for me!

lol, sounds pretty crazy!

maybe your lightning thing isn't so off. P. cubensis are tropical fungus. winter is cool and dry, summer is hot and dry and wet. usually its humid and hot. so when clouds come roaring in the temps (and air pressure, probably not a trigger) go down and humidity moisture

When i had my nursery we used to sell an African bulb we called Storm Lilly". It is a pretty little white crocus bulby thing. It always flowered well after storms and we sold heaps of it- otherwise not and it just looked like boring grass. I knew Brugmansias would flower 6-8 weeks after a heavy watering (Always gave nine a good drink mid-Novemeber so they would be flowering for family and visitors at Christmas)so I tried the same trick with the crocus. Got to the stage finally of immersing the pots overnight in water. No flowers no matter how hard I tried.

A storm with lightening, BINGO out popped the flowers.

HOW do they know?

Why do they Know?

There is a book on australian psycotropic mushrooms.

Unfortunately it is in the reserved section of the libary. So it can't be taken on field trips

I have heard of kids eating them falling asleep, being rushed to hospital, only to wake hale and hearty,c 24 + hours later

so i think they need to find new ways of oral use. maybe a "Pot Patch" or something, cause many illnesses it's just not safe to smoke stuff with. Or maybe we could start buying vaporizers with our prescription pot.

Yes that has been done also the smoke is not as harmful as tobacco. It(TCH) dissolves in fat some say it also disolves in alcohol but i don't know about that
Micheal i am not sure the exact scenario, but there has been a lot of interference from the USA in canadas doings, not just pot.

Yes on the ABC talk-back radio the other day there was a discussion on how not to insult a Canadian by calling him a Yank!

"What part of North America are you from?"

was one suggestion.

I have a Canadian Friend (now as we are both poor internet friend) who lets me know bits and pieces of what is happening. I can usually also pick the accent which delights Canadian tourists. Don't know why, as I have a lousy ear. Mostly my friend complains about the cold and is hoping Global Warming will get a move on.

I'm not sure why she still lives there!

Aussies love Canada and Canadians especially those into Snow Bunnies etc

The Canadian sense of humour seems a little closer to ours and they are happy to send themselves up without being offended.

They are more laid back abou tLaw and Order and terrorism issues.

sorry didn't read the vaporizer bit hehe.

about the lightning, perhaps it has to do with air pressure? many animals breed when the pressure drops, so maybe some plants do as well...i have no clue. but it seams reasonable. as for people going to the hospital, i don't think there is really a lot of risk of physical injury due to psilocybin type mushrooms. one HUGE problem is people picking a mushroom that LOOKS like one but isn't and they poison themselves. ignorance kills...you really need to study to properly ID some of these mushrooms!

i am canadian and i would agree, we do not like being called american....here in taiwan they think all white people are americans and they just say "american" (in chinese), god that bugs me. just smile and keep moving...don;t get arrested... although it is more laid back, canada seems to be in a huge rush to be just like america, the attitude there is changing for the worse in my opinion.

i am canadian and i would agree, we do not like being called american....here in taiwan they think all white people are americans and they just say "american" (in chinese), god that bugs me. just smile and keep moving...don;t get arrested... although it is more laid back, canada seems to be in a huge rush to be just like america, the attitude there is changing for the worse in my opinion.

When in the Roman Empire speak Latin?

We too in Australian are becoming increasing Americanised, with an overwhelming amount of American designed Chinese made goods, music, videos, video games, film, and the shrinking media base with fewer and fewer independent news services.

eg

Twenty four years ago I saw my first Graffitti completely covering a NYC subway and train. I was shocked. Now is is everywhere here and has been for some time.

Under the ABC charter thaey have to collect their own news but even their high standards have slipped a little of late. Possibly due to strangling funding cuts from all colours of politician.

I might be wrong but I think it is still a criminal offence to have marijuana although it is widely smoked especially among the young and a few surprising oldies. Maybe other Aussies here can tell me what the Oz laws are exactly?

New Zealand: National Conversation on Marijuana Policy Urged

Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Email this Article Email this Article

from Drug War Chronicle, Issue #509, 11/9/07

The nonpartisan New Zealand Drug Foundation (NZDF) is attempting to jump-start a renewed national debate about marijuana policy in the country, and it appears to be working. Since its call for a "national conversation" a week ago, NZDF has garnered considerable media attention and prompted responses from activist groups, political parties, and government officials.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/files/talkaboutpot.jpg

c

"Cannabis is New Zealand's favorite illicit drug," said NZDF executive director Ross Bell as he kicked off the crusade, "but it receives scant attention from politicians, policymakers or the media. When it is discussed, evidence is often discarded in favor of myth, misinformation and polarized posturing."

New Zealand: National Conversation on Marijuana Policy Urged | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)

• 4 weeks later...
Marijuana as Medicine

Perhaps the strongest argument for legalisation lies with the medical uses of cannabis. The British government is on the cusp of allowing its use to treat painful conditions, and in America an eminent medic has come out in favour. Professor Lester Grinspoon from Harvard Medical School believes that cannabis "is likely to be seen as a wonder drug of the 21st century."

Cannabis is widely known for its medicinal ability to ease a host of serious conditions:

# cancer: cannabis can suppress nausea brought on by chemotherapy

# AIDS: it can increase appetite and prevent weight-loss

# glaucoma (an eye condition): cannabis can relieve eye pressure

# muscular pain: it can ease muscle spasms and period pains

In the 19th century, cannabis was widely used to relieve muscle spasms and rheumatism. Even Queen Victoria was given it by her doctor to ease her period pains.

It was the invention of the syringe towards the end of the century that marked an end to its widespread medicinal use.

Injecting drugs meant they could take effect a lot faster. Cannabis cannot be dissolved in water, so it can't be injected.

Only recently have scientists began to scrutinize the chemical more closely, and have started to conduct clinical trials to test its medical effects.

Relief for multiple sclerosis sufferers

There are a total of 85,000 people suffering from multiple sclerosis (MS) in Britain. This incurable debilitating disease manifests itself with a host of symptoms:

# balance problems

# muscle weakness and spasms

# incontinence

# pain

# tremors

Although pharmaceutical drugs are available to MS sufferers, the condition is difficult to control. Clinical tests performed by the Multiple Sclerosis Society showed that most patients responded positively to cannabis. The drug especially alleviated spasms, pain, tremor and increased bladder control.

In addition, a postal survey was conducted amongst patients self-medicating with cannabis in the UK and the USA. More than 90% reported a beneficial effect on their condition. Unfortunately, many patients end up obtaining cannabis illegally.

Legal high

Doctors have been allowed to prescribe capsules containing THC, the main active ingredient of cannabis, for years. Nabilone - a synthetically manufactured copy of THC - was licensed in 1982 for prescription use against nausea caused by chemotherapy.

However, some patients complain of the same side effect that many people state as the drug's main recreational attraction - it gets you stoned. Due to the complex relationship between THC and receptors in the brain, researchers haven't yet managed to separate the active medical ingredients from the brain-bending ones.

Cannabis aerosols

Patients taking the drug in capsule form are unable to control the dose as they can with careful inhaling. So the pharmaceutical industry has started developing THC aerosols and inhalers that don't harm lungs. This makes it easier for patients to control their dose and prevents them from getting too disorientated

BBC - Science & Nature - Hot Topics - Cannabis - The Lows

Moon

An interesting summary thanks MOON

there are anumber of other interesting things at that site EG

Cannabis

Contents

• Key points
  • Your views on legalising cannabis
  • Video: medical trials, one man's story
  • Is cannabis harmless?
  • Using cannabis: the highs
  • Using cannabis: the lows
  • Animation: how does cannabis affect the body?
  • Marijuana as a medicine
  • Quiz: are you wise about weed?
  • Vote: should cannabis be legalised?
  • Timeline of events
  • Vote
  • Quiz

Do you think cannabis should be made legal?

Results so far:

Yes (17,095 votes) 82.5%

No (3,627 votes) 17.5%

Possession of cannabis under the current UK law will get you two years in prison.

A kid who pleaded guilty to manslaughter here was yesterday sentence to an effective 3 years!

Some aboriginals who were guilty of rape were given a non custodial sentence!

My eye-doc says that MJ only helps reduce glaucoma pressure for a few hours.

Whereas the drops he prescribes me last 24 hours.

I don't know where he got that info from.

in fairness, a friend of mine was busted growing it and in possession of a fair bit, and was given a huge fine and community service, no jail. England....so i think these things get a little exaggerated sometimes. but i agree, i fail to see the harsh nature of many convictions (especially in the usa) and the relatively light convictions of other things like rape and assault.

moon can you elaborate on the parkinsons thing? do you have it? my father in law has it and has had it for 15 years. he has done some experimental surgery (brain computer thing....freaky) and some other neat medical science stuff (i really don't get it much). be interesting to find out the effects of weed and parkinsons. as you know, the comes a time where all medical science stops helping parkinsons patients....his time is almost there.

in fairness, a friend of mine was busted growing it and in possession of a fair bit, and was given a huge fine and community service, no jail. England....so i think these things get a little exaggerated sometimes. but i agree, i fail to see the harsh nature of many convictions (especially in the usa) and the relatively light convictions of other things like rape and assault.

moon can you elaborate on the parkinsons thing? do you have it? my father in law has it and has had it for 15 years. he has done some experimental surgery (brain computer thing....freaky) and some other neat medical science stuff (i really don't get it much). be interesting to find out the effects of weed and parkinsons. as you know, the comes a time where all medical science stops helping parkinsons patients....his time is almost there.

Michael