Science Forums

Marijuana as Medicine

there is no medical evidence that colonics of any mix promote health. just a thrill for some folks about shovin' stuff where the sun don't shine. :D

Colon Cleanse thread

It is amazing how the regular clean-out has survived even among the conventional medical fraternity up until Very recent times.

My mother was give Castor Oil one a week. That probably buggered her bowels and she took laxatives all her life. God knows what it did to her brother who she regularly paid to take her dose ! :D

Old now I find not to have bowels that work properly, the worst aspect of age. Something that I once took for granted. Of course having a big piece of my bowel removed with cancer and then the surgeon's stitching busting with a hernia dosn't help. I find opiates/ codeine one of the best things for it but would love to try MJ to see if that helped reduce my discomfort. I am going in for a 'nip and tuck' next week, I hope that helps.

What happened to our "Pain" thread?

Endocannabinoids and Cannabis – Scientific Research on the Origins of Pain

The first mention of cannabis as a medicinal plant was in the Chinese book of medicinal plants “Shennong bencao jing”, which is almost 5000 years old. The Chinese emperor Shennong is said to have recommended cannabis resin as a remedy for various illnesses.

After the use of its active ingredients for thousands of years to alleviate chronic pain, a study by the research group led by Hanns Ulrich Zeilhofer, Professor at the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences at ETH Zurich and the Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology at the University of Zurich now shows that the endocannabinoids produced by the body itself can lead to pain sensitisation in certain types of pain.

Their study was recently published in the scientific journal Science.

Endocannabinoids and Cannabis – Scientific Research on the Origins of Pain « HempNews

On the MJ=brain damge idea.

There is some new resech showing that developing brains are very sensitive to many drugs including alcohol and MJ. Most young (>20) people are probably better off without any drugs.

A cannabis flower under an electron microscope.

Frank Lucido has been a general family practice doctor for 30 years. Since cannabis was legalized for medical use in 1996, he has been an outspoken and highly regarded supporter of herbal medicine. He spoke with The Sacramento Press to offer medical perspective on the drug.

"I started getting into it right away after it was legal," he said. "Every doctor knows they have about 20 slam-dunk patients that could benefit greatly from medical cannabis."

While Lucido was getting his M.D. in the '70s, doctors weren't learning about cannabis, aside from its reportedly high potential for abuse.

"The dangers of cannabis we knew were overblown," he said. "All of us saw. . .

Sacramento Press / The science of THC medicine

The THC-laden trichromes of an individual leaf.

New studies consistently point out new uses for cannabis medication, as the University of California Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research (CMCR) continues to conduct research throughout the state on THC's effects on everything from spinal cord injury to MS muscle disorders.

Interestingly, Lucido said he recently heard of another application for the sensual herb: increasing the female libido. While licentious cannabis-smoking females were key plot devices back in the 'Reefer Madness' days, new findings have shown that cannabis' come-hither effects can be used to stimulate a dormant libido.

:phones:

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if anyone has figured out what the marijuana plants uses the resin and THC for?

According to the author of the book, "The Botany of Desire", the plant has exploited us as a seed dispersal mechanism. It's a win win. The plant makes something we want, and in return, the plant's genes get dispersed. It's similar to a flower tempting a certain species of insect. To this effect, the author asserts that it is not the people using the plant, it is the plant using the people.

Why did cannabis make THC?

One train of thought is the plant developed a method of making it's grazers forget where they found the plant in the first place.

On pain - cannabis greatly enhaces the effects of analgesics.

Anecdotally - used small portion in conjunction with panadol on a man with toothache so bad he could barely speak. Result was he pulled his own tooth out that same night.

Anecdotally - had severe back pain and was 12 hours into a a shift moving steel with 4 hours to go. exhausted and very sore. One cone later the pain was gone and I finished the shift in high spirits. This was barely enough to make one 'stoned'.

Anecdotally - increasing from a small amount (a puff or two) to say a whole joint exacerbates the pain and it actually feels worse.

According to the author of the book, "The Botany of Desire", the plant has exploited us as a seed dispersal mechanism. It's a win win. The plant makes something we want, and in return, the plant's genes get dispersed. It's similar to a flower tempting a certain species of insect. To this effect, the author asserts that it is not the people using the plant, it is the plant using the people.

Along with chocolate, chilli, tobacco, poppies, lettuce, wheat, corn(?).:eek2: Clever bloody plants.

Indeed. The author chooses 4 plants to study (4 chapters): apples, potatoes, tulips, and cannabis.

I highly recommend the book. (no pun intended)

ditto the book. not sure if johnny appleseed smoked weed or not, but the apple section in said book has one of the most complete biographical treatments on him extant. i also highly highly recommend reading it. puns emphasized for emphasis. :)

my state allows medical marijuana use and growing, but it seems like a lot of folks doing it get robbed so i'm disinclined to apply. :eek2: go figure. :hihi: :tree:

ditto the book. not sure if johnny appleseed smoked weed or not, but the apple section in said book has one of the most complete biographical treatments on him extant. i also highly highly recommend reading it. puns emphasized for emphasis. ::

Thanks, both, for the thumbs up, sounds just like me. Soon the OZ$ will be on a par with the falling USA dollar so I might hit my wish list on Amazon!

my state allows medical marijuana use and growing, but it seems like a lot of folks doing it get robbed so i'm disinclined to apply.

That is an "unintended consequence" !:naughty:

ditto the book. not sure if johnny appleseed smoked weed or not, but the apple section in said book has one of the most complete biographical treatments on him extant. i also highly highly recommend reading it. puns emphasized for emphasis. :D

my state allows medical marijuana use and growing, but it seems like a lot of folks doing it get robbed so i'm disinclined to apply. :eek2: go figure. :naughty: :tree:

What do you mean people doing "it" get robbed Turtle?

What do you mean people doing "it" get robbed Turtle?

this story is just the most recent legal medical pot grower robbery in the area. it's in oregon' but it is not uncommon here in washington either. :gun4:

Pot plant theft suspects confronted in Damascus | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

Pot plant theft suspects confronted in Damascus

...Investigators said uprooted marijuana plants and a .40 caliber pistol were found in the SUV.

Police said Nick Gonzalez has a valid Oregon Medical Marijuana Growers license and had recently harvested some plants from a small growing operation located in an outbuilding on the Damascus property.

The uprooted plants allegedly taken in the burglary had not been harvested but were described as “mature.”

The suspect in custody was identified as Steven Ronald Pickard, 31, of southeast Portland. He faces charges including robbery, burglary and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. His bail was set at $280,000.

He is being held in the Clackamas County Sheriff's jail. Officers continue to look for the other suspect.

• 1 month later...

Is there no end to what this much maligned plant can teach us about ourselves?

Since the discovery that endogenous lipid mediators show similar cannabimimetic effects as phytocannabinoids from Cannabis sativa, our knowledge about the endocannabinoid system has rapidly expanded.

Today, endocannabinoid action is known to be involved in various diseases, including inflammation and pain.

As a consequence, the G-protein coupled cannabinoid receptors, endocannabinoid transport, as well as endocannabinoid metabolizing enzymes represent targets to block or enhance cannabinoid receptor-mediated signalling for therapeutic intervention.

Based on the finding that certain endocannabinoid-like fatty acid N-alkylamides from purple coneflower (Echinacea spp.) potently activate CB2 cannabinoid receptors we have focused our interest on plant fatty acid amides (FAAs) and their overall cannabinomodulatory effects.

Thieme eJournals - Abstract

• 6 years later...

Now compare that with a list of what alcohol does, and then there's the fact that it's highly addictive (there's a reason there's no support groups for cannabis addicts) and the HUGE amount of anti-social aggravation it causes.

Compare health effects, social effects and addition. Alcohol is legal, cannabis isn't. What the hell!!!

Alcohol is great for nights out though and I do drink, though rarely now days, I must be getting old.