Science Forums

Marijuana as Medicine

the thing is i have been smoking pot for a long time

(so many names)

i could tell stories of almost getting jumped by a bunch of

gangsters, smoking a joint instead, and becoming friends

i could tell stories of some of the best intellectual conversations

i could tell stories of going to jail and ending up having student loans

i couldn't afford to pay off, and if i did pay them off i wouldn;t be able to get funding to go to school anyway because of a "criminal" record

but i won't go into those stories

i think of pot as a psycological medicine

(for those who need a term anyway)

it is a great catalyst for meditation and dream work

i use it for medatation (especially while Lampworking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

MySpace.com - MATT C. GLASS - 34 - Male - humboldt, California - www.myspace.com/mattcglass

(he just did the emerald cup this year)

anyway, for anyone who has not used marijuana, and promote negative connotations

there is a huge illusion in your perspective on the subject

not only (in my opinion) are you uninformed of the facts ------(edit)

but you refuse to think for yourself

now as far as meditation goes

any art form you can meditate with

even math, or the tile mosaic that we call a computer

(rocks+electricity= :computerkeys: )

any way you use your ganja, be it smoke

vaporize, eat or whatever

(although i have never heard of colonics yet :spam: )

for me at least

it allows me to delve deeper into my own conciousness

my art is then a direct resemblence to my meditation at the time

you can take that as you choose

but i'll tell you one thing

i feel i am wiser for using this medicine

and i feel more peace in the world is created by its use :circle:

• 1 month later...

Obama Administration to Put a Stop to Medical Marijuana Raids

Posted by Steve Benen, Washington Monthly at 1:20 PM on February 26, 2009.

Just two days after President Obama's inauguration, the Drug Enforcement Administration raided a medical marijuana dispensary in northern California. The move was at odds with Obama's policy, at least as it was articulated during the campaign.

Today, we received some welcome clarification.

Attorney General Eric Holder said at a press conference Wednesday that the Justice Department will no longer raid medical marijuana clubs that are established legally under state law. His declaration is a fulfillment of a campaign promise by President Barack Obama, and marks a major shift from the previous administration.

Obama Admininistration to Put a Stop to Medical Marijuana Raids | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet

Good news for a friend who finds MJ the only thing that relieves his pain.

his doctor THREATENED him that he would report him to the police if he took it.

Can USA Docs do that?

Perhaps some research could go into delivery methods like atomisers and cooking rather than smoking which is still unhealthy.

It is also not a drug for "teens" 13-19

Perhaps legalisation, or at least decriminalisation, of all drugs would give us back our law enforcers and politicians, now increasingly corrupted by masses of drug money?

It would probably halve USA's jail population.

The present devastation of ethnic minorities in drug related violence and gangs is another problem, that legalisation could help.

Heroin addicts could get drugs safely (reducing the incidence of AIDs and hepatitis) and could be steered better into Rehab. facilities. Often 9mostly)drug taking is a symptom of other unresolved psychological/social/educational problems.

A tax on legal MJ, heroin and cocaine, half as many prisoners to look after, now that's an idea for Obama's next budget.

Legalizing drugs for use by adults would make to much sense, embarrass the government by exposing their lies and propaganda for what it is and take huge sums of money from crooked politicians and others who make money off the artificially high prices of drugs. The only people who will be helped by the actions of the new administration are the people who live in states that already allow medical cannabis. The rest of them are still up the creek!

Legalizing drugs for use by adults would make to much sense, embarrass the government by exposing their lies and propaganda for what it is and take huge sums of money from crooked politicians and others who make money off the artificially high prices of drugs. The only people who will be helped by the actions of the new administration are the people who live in states that already allow medical cannabis. The rest of them are still up the creek!

i don't think it is the best solution; but I do think it is the only solution.

Too much money is involved corrupting our legal system, police, legislators, politicians judiciary, public service, banks,and jails and jailors

The srain on our society is starting to show in violence, gangs, underworld "mafia"-like organisations, money laundering, tax avoidance.and anti-socail behaviour

Also in disease transmission (hepatitis, Aids, STDs)

Too many crooks like the Taliban and the Burmese junta are getting rich at our expense.

Russia is about to have a huge problem with heroin use in its young people. The Putin dictatorship is mostly sticking its head in the sand, but a whole generation could be wiped out, similarly in China. We can't afford these authoritarian countries to become unstable otherwise we have a repeat of the 1930s all over again. We have the finacila meltdown of all meltdowns to help it along

A heron addict can hold down a job if given a stable dose of the drug. it would be cheap, administrated cleanly and drug counselling is enabled.

Also it will help make Tasmanian poppy growers wealthier.

I met an old "jail-bird" one day who said he was never going back to jail again.

"Why now," I asked. He told me "In 'the old days' "Screws were Screws and Crims were Crims. We were all against the screws and we supported and helped each other. It was a community.

Now they will cut your throat for a $1. to by drugs." he said

It is a dangerous, unsafe dog-eat-dog world rife with drug use and bastrdry.

In the last 5-6 years in NSW women prisoners have increased by 50++% -all drug related.

Drug Law Reform is prevented by the ignorant religious fanatics, fascists, those making money from drugs, and fear of USA retaliation if we make saner drug laws.

Yeah, the USA isn't known for sanity in it's laws. Cannabis is often thought of as being bad as heroin but oxycodone is prescribed by doctors and a huge number of legal addicts is created when something as benign as Maryjane could have done the job. The war on drugs like many wars is as bad on the bystanders as it is on the participants and there is always large sums of money to be made off of any war. It's really sad.

• 4 weeks later...

Marijuana that won't get you busted

By News Staff | May 15th 2007 01:13 PM | 10 comments |

A smokeless cannabis-vaporizing device delivers the same level of active therapeutic chemical and produces the same biological effect as smoking cannabis, but without the harmful toxins, according to UCSF researchers.

"We showed in a recent paper in the journal ‘Neurology’ that smoked cannabis can alleviate the chronic pain caused by HIV-related neuropathy, but a concern was expressed that smoking cannabis was not safe.

This study demonstrates an alternative method that gives patients the same effects and allows controlled dosing but without inhalation of the toxic products in smoke," said study lead author Donald I. Abrams, MD, UCSF professor of clinical medicine.

Marijuana that won't get you busted

may i remind you that alot of our common "drugs" like vikadin and heavy duty pain releavers are actually made out of opium :(

I think it's equally important to point out that no matter how "harmful" smoking cannabis is no one has ever OD'ed and died from pot. Prescription pain killers kill people all the time, they put my in the emergency room once. Some like methadone has actually killed people who were taking it exactly as prescribed. At least cannabis doesn't kill as it relives pain.

yes but pot definatelly kills brain sells like look what happened to ozzie ozborne

First of all I see no reason to think pot kills brain cells or if it does it does it any faster than any other drug? You have anything to back up that contention?

Secondly I think the brain cells in the corpses of the people killed by opiates are quite dead.

Thirdly I think Ozzy himself has admitted to doing much more than pot. I know literally hundreds of people who have used pot most their lives the worst side effect is arrest by the authorities.

Fourthly we are talking about using it as medicine, if you think "all medicines" are harmless you haven't been paying attention.

ozzy is a bag of chemicals lol, I'd compare him to the human equivalent of a lab rat.

i think looking at effect vs side effects, pot is certainly one of the safer ones. smoking is without a doubt the most unhealthy aspect, and in a slow way sure kills you, like smoking anything. there are many alternative methods though. but every medicine has its down sides. many pills attack the liver, others the brain, mood, sanity, heart etc etc.

i think the real danger with pot is doing something stupid while high. the death rate may be there for pot if you take into consideration the accidents done while intoxicated, as with all drugs. driving is a big one. the "i drive better while stoned" argument is lame....i crashed my car while high a few times when younger. it may have only been around 5-10km an hour, but still stupid and irresponsible nonetheless.

there are reports here and there of people getting in car accidents while armed to the teeth with stimulants, such as ephedra as well.

anybody know of any studies done on marijuana smoke and lung cancer?

• 1 month later...
First New Mexico Medical Cannabis Producer Approved

Main Category: Alcohol / Addiction / Illegal Drugs

Also Included In: Multiple Sclerosis; Neurology / Neuroscience; Epilepsy

Article Date: 23 Mar 2009 - 7:00 PDT

The New Mexico Department of Health has approved the first nonprofit in New Mexico to produce medical cannabis for patients in the Department's Medical Cannabis Program.

Nonprofits are allowed to produce up to 95 mature plants and seedlings as well as a usable inventory of medical cannabis to meet the needs of patients in the program.

First New Mexico Medical Cannabis Producer Approved

Once a condition is approved, anyone with that medical condition can apply to the Medical Cannabis Program. The 14 current qualifying conditions are:

• cancer,
  • glaucoma,
  • multiple sclerosis,
  • damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with intractable spasticity,
  • epilepsy,
  • HIV/AIDS,
  • painful peripheral neuropathy,
  • intractable nausea/vomiting, severe anorexia/cachexia,
  • hepatitis C infection currently receiving antiviral treatment,
  • Crohn's disease,
  • Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and
  • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease).
  • Hospice patients may also be eligible.

'hepatitis C infection currently receiving antiviral treatment' ? Is MJ anti-viral?

Personally I would not rely on MJ as my main glaucoma medication as the length of time it works will vary with the dose, MJ variety etc. It is a green herb after all, not a standardised drug.

Its' effects in reducing intra-ocular pressure is most likely to be in the 3-6 hour range; whereas modern eye drops last 12-24.

• 2 weeks later...

NO WONDER GREAT- GRAMMA HAD SUCH A HAPPY CHILDHOOD....

Bayer 's Heroin

A bottle of Bayer's heroin. Between 1890

and 1910 heroin was sold as a non-addictive substitute for morphine. It was also used to treat children with strong cough.

Coca Wine

Metcalf Coca Wine was one of a huge variety of wines with cocaine on the market. Everybody used to say that it would make you happy and it would also work as a medicinal treatment.

Mariani wine

Mariani wine (1875) was the most famous Coca wine of it's time. Pope Leo XIII used to carry one bottle with him all the time. He awarded Angelo Mariani (the producer) with aVatican gold medal.

Cocaine tablets (1900)

All stage actors, singers teachers and preachers had to have them for a maximum performance. Great to "smooth" the voice.

Cocaine drops for toothache

Very popular for children in 1885. Not only they relieved the pain, they made the children happy!

Opium for new-borns

I'm sure this would make them sleep well (not only the Opium, but 46% alcohol!!!!!)

• 3 months later...

Medical marijuana: the conflict between scientific evidence and political ideology. Part two of two.

J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2009;23(2):120-40

Authors: Cohen PJ

In Part I of this article, I examined the role of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in drug approval and then detailed the known risks of medical marijuana (any form of Cannabis sativa used--usually by smoking--to treat a wide variety of pathologic states and diseases).

Part II of the article will begin by reviewing the benefits of Cannabis sativa as documented by well designed scientific studies that have been published in the peer-reviewed literature. I will then propose that ability of scientists to conduct impartial studies designed to answer the question of marijuana's role in medical therapy has been greatly hampered by political considerations.

I will posit that in spite of the considerable efforts of policymakers, it is becoming apparent that marijuana's benefits should be weighed against its well-described risks. I will conclude that political advocacy is a poor substitute for dispassionate analysis and that neither popular votes nor congressional "findings" should be permitted to trump scientific evidence in deciding whether or not marijuana is an appropriate pharmaceutical agent to use in modern medical practice.

Whether or not marijuana is accepted as a legitimate medical therapy should remain in the hands of the usual drug-approval process and that the statutory role of the Food and Drug Administration should be dispositive.

PMID: 19492213 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

If you ever watch commercials for legal drugs, they are required to reveal possible side effects. This will usually occur in the second half of their sales pitch. Usually the sales pitch is slower and nice to watch. The side effects are presented with quick talk.

Marijuana could be presented in the same way. The targeted medical uses are pitched, with nice looking actors walking in amber waves of grain, and then all the possible side effects are quick talked. That way everyone could weight the data and see if it is right for them.

With MJ, the current commercial process is set up differently. The side effects is the main sales pitch, with dark alleys instead of amber waves of grain. The medical benefits are speed talked into a blur. This also allows everyone to weigh the data.

"although nobody's mentioned colonics yet" ....

Made an oil based treatment for topical application for a patient with colon cancer. I don't want to go into application details but it was topical....

It was also successful, patient went to pre-op - where have they gone? No more tumours. This is anecdotal, yes, and was done after other anecdotal evidence pointing to suppression of tumours. See "Rick Simpson - Run From the Cure" on youtube.

Just finished some notes on Huntington's Disease. This is a trinucleotide repeat disorder (TRD), of CAG which codes for glutamine. Specifically then - a polyglutamine TRD. There are several of these diseases.

All of these disorders have studies involving the successful use of cannabinoids as neuroprotectants.

These diseases are hideous, legalise pot, criminalise big pharma. :evil: