Science Forums

An Inconvenient Truth

Jim Colyer

I think someone (the producer or whoever made the accusation) has gone overboard.

The problem with Al's book is, it if from Al AND half of it is an autobiography. The book politicizes global warming and if teachers were seen accepting the book as a gift on behalf of students, the neo cons would start screaming that the teachers' association is politically biased and motivated.

Now, if they had a check donated to the teachers' association from Exxon that would be a grounds for making the bias claim. Not simple refusal of a book that would imply political bias.

...When will someone finally say what it is that they are trying to save? ...

The Economic Status Quo, the Political Status Quo, Big Business, Civilization, and the American Way of Life.

Bill is right. What our politicians appear to be thinking is this: "A future that does not have Americans (and the US$) at the top of the food chain is not a future worth having."

And to be really, really honest, I kinda sorta support that myself. I can't help it. Since childhood I have dreamed of a future where reason, talent and compassion ruled the planet. I am sickened sometimes by the fact that I will not live to see this. I would even be willing for The Netherlands to be the dominant world power in this century, if it meant that the planet was wisely managed.

• 3 weeks later...
Al Gore Caught Warming Globe To Increase Box Office Profits

December 18, 2006 | Issue 42•51

Dozens of eyewitness reports indicated that former vice president Al Gore deliberately attempted to raise the earth's temperature in order to boost box office receipts for An Inconvenient Truth, his documentary film about global warming that was released in May.

Al Gore Caught Warming Globe To Increase Box Office Profits | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Merry Christmas :angel2:

michael

There are more inconvenient truths.

"Dead Zones" in the coastal ocean waters are growing at ever-faster rates. New Dead Zones are appearing wherever large-ship automated fishing is done. The Gulf of Mexico will be essentially sterile in 50-80 years at current trends. The cause is agricultural runoffs (mostly fertilizers and insectides) from big rivers (like the Mississippi) and intensive automated fishing (typicalling dredging) that destroys the ocean bottom cultures.

This depresses me. :(:(:(:(:(

There are more inconvenient truths.

"Dead Zones" in the coastal ocean waters are growing at ever-faster rates. New Dead Zones are appearing wherever large-ship automated fishing is done. The Gulf of Mexico will be essentially sterile in 50-80 years at current trends. The cause is agricultural runoffs (mostly fertilizers and insectides) from big rivers (like the Mississippi) and intensive automated fishing (typicalling dredging) that destroys the ocean bottom cultures.

This depresses me. :cup::(;):(:(

See the thread "So long and thanks for all the fish>"

You will then need the help of the "depression" thread

Happy new year!

• 1 month later...

A sample of comments about the publication:

Conservative.

Also, the sucker has a javascript on it which makes the window come to the front continuously. ANNOYING.

Author of the article -

Has an agenda.

Source rejected as unreliable.

Aggregator is an astroturfer publishing in a biased publication. An example of selective quoting.

Sourcewatch

TFS

A sample of comments about the publication:

Conservative.

Also, the sucker has a javascript on it which makes the window come to the front continuously. ANNOYING.

Author of the article -

Has an agenda.

Source rejected as unreliable.

Aggregator is an astroturfer publishing in a biased publication. An example of selective quoting.

Sourcewatch

TFS

Ah, shoot the messenger and ignore the message.

...It is not ever about saving the planet. The planet will survive man. And it is absurdly optimistic to think that we could destroy the planet or its ability to support life. Even the most nightmarish speculative nuclear holocaust would not destroy the planet's ability to support life....
It is about saving some semblance of a Technological Human Civilization. If Man ain't here, or only here as desparate pockets of ignorant brutes eating slime mold off of rocks, then --personally-- I don't care about the planet.

Ah, shoot the messenger and ignore the message.

Overruled! Goes to credibility of the witness.

No.. discover the messenger is lying, or at least only partially telling you the truth, and then regard his message with the appropriate amount of skepticism.

If I told you that all people named "TheFaithfulStone" were smarter, sexier and better looking than everyone else, would you believe me? Or would you think I maybe had an agenda?

TFS

...What good's a planet with nobody on it?

What's special about humanity? Maybe nothing, but they're MY stupid hairless monkeys....

Rat own, rat own!!

Damn straight Imma bigoted two-legged specist! Founding member of the Hu Hux Hand!

Humans Forever! I believe in protecting ecosystems because they give US air to breathe, they give US food to eat, they give US pleasant things to look at and talk about, they make life fun and comfy for US, and they provide an environment that's just nifty keeno for US to live and build our clean, non-polluting cities!

Hu Hux Handers for Planet Earth!

Is my sheet still in the laundry?

Overruled! Goes to credibility of the witness.

No.. discover the messenger is lying, or at least only partially telling you the truth, and then regard his message with the appropriate amount of skepticism.

If I told you that all people named "TheFaithfulStone" were smarter, sexier and better looking than everyone else, would you believe me? Or would you think I maybe had an agenda?

TFS

Your premise is false. You claim the origin of the website has a credibilty problem but they make no claim other than "these people dispute..." If you can show me the people quoted are making false statements then you have a point of 'witness credibility'. The messenger (website) did not create the message, only delivered some statements of witnesses.

Your response so far does not address the witness credibility you claim exists.

Added on edit:

But to play along with witness credibility Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe - USATODAY.com

the troglodyte punditry was out in full force, funded by ExxonMobil et al:

Scientists and economists have been offered $10,000 each by a lobby group funded by one of the world's largest oil companies to undermine a major climate change report due to be published today.

Letters sent by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), an ExxonMobil-funded thinktank with close links to the Bush administration, offered the payments for articles that emphasise the shortcomings of a report from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

The week in carbon (Gil Friend)