Science Forums

No cell phone service? No signal???

Check this out. I read it and it just made me laugh... In our church, our cell phones hardly ever work. I always thought it was because we're way outin the country, and the reception is just really bad there. Now though, I'm beginning to wonder of my Preacher is a little more savvy than I gave him credit for... and here I thought church was just in a "God zone"

Churches installing cell phone jammers

Also in schools, hotels, entertainment venues, government

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6272681/?GT1=5472

LOL.

Well, in Norway they are banning these things for now. I REALLY think they should implement jammers in places like movie theatres etc. The argument is that "what if a life-threatening event occurs"...sheesh...how about someone going outside and call for help? How did we ever manage to live before the cellphone...

how about someone going outside and call for help? How did we ever manage to live before the cellphone...

This was exactly my argument about getting my electronic leash in the first place. Mr. Irish argued, and finally insisted, that I get one a few years back, when I was pregnant with our last child, and we had just moved out to the boonies. He was worried because I drove 40 miles to the nearest grocery store. Of course, that didn't stop him from taking the job, now did it?

I thought they were incredibly pretentious, and for ridiculously self-absorbed people. Of course, Mr. Irish had to run out and get me this gadget that does about a hundred other things besides phone calls, and now I actually enjoy it. I love the text mesaging, but my favorite is the camera. It's best use is when I take the kids to the amusement park and take all of their pictures in the clothes that they are wearing, just in case we get separated. It's actually been of use on at least one occasion.

I also agree that there are some places that phones should be banned. Most people are courteous enough to shut them off in the Kennedy center, but there is always one jerk that gets a call in the middle of a performance.

If there is a landline phone in the vicinity, why should they be banned? Shouldn't it be up to the individual property or establishment owner whether or not to use a jamming device? I mean, I know that there are many gov't buildings that use them, why not private companies?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, whats wrong with having a cell phone in church? in the part of bible and other bible-like books that i've read, nowhere does it say that i cant have a cellphone in a place of worship... (Althought Im not an atheist, I dont believe in religion...) I mean yes a cell phone can interrupt someone talking, but people should be smart enough to put their phones on vibrate and not interrupt. People should really learn the rules of the etuquete, then we wont have any of the smilat problems encountered.

People should really learn the rules of the etuquete, then we wont have any of the smilat problems encountered.

This is what it boils down to really. Our preacher asks that cell phones be turned to silent mode, as he knows that many of the people 'need' to be on call 24/7. We have a few docs, a few sheriffs, and more than a few gov't tech-types. But there's always one goofball that doesn't turn it to 'manner mode' and it disrupts the middle of the service.

If people realized how rude it is to leave their phone ringers at full blast, maybe they'd change. i don't know. it seems like common sense to me, but then again, I guess I'm not all that common, huh?