Science Forums

The beginning

lobices

Quim! Where have you been! Good to hear from you again.

Well, like you say, a crazy question. It is ia paradox, yes. We don't know what came first. A lot of cosmologists speculate that time may run around in loops. Not to say that the world is infinite in all directions, nor that everything will happen more than once. But one example is J Richard Gott III who wrote in his book "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe" that our universe did not start until time was able to break out of an endless loop. When it managed to break the loop, huge quantities of energy resulted - and the Big Bang happened.

The question remains, of course - as it always will - what came before that. And so on...

Gott's idea is completely insane idea but the book is a good read.

First - please don't apologize for your English, unless you expect me to also apologize for my Portugese. Yours is a language that I am unfamiliar with, and have never had occasion to learn. Your English is therefore far superior to my knowledge of your language, and for that there is no excuse!

As for the beginning... maybe this should be in the P/H section? Unless there is a basic agreement that evolution is the way that we all 'got here', then we really shouldn't be discussing the beginning of anything is THIS category.

• 4 months later...

I have wondered whether the Universe kind of breaths in an out. That the universe is expanding due to the initial energy of the big bang and that as the momentum of the expansion begins to decline and gravity takes over that it begins to retract back into a singularity until we get another big bang. I dont know whether astronomers have worked out if the universe will keep on expanding but I believe the sums depend on the amount of dark matter that is estimated be in existance. If the universe is expanding and contracting this would explain to some extent a kind of beginning although I would assume that this process would have to be infinite too. :o