Science Forums

Major sleeping disorder

ck27

I suffer from sleep paralysis which i guess there are also people out there that suffer from that? What do you all think could be done to fix this terrifying sleeping disorder?

That can be very serious. Have you consulted with a physician and been diagnosed as such, or is this a personal diagnosis based on what you've read and thought "yeah, that sounds like me...?"

NO im not gonna consult with anyone over this. its more of a self diagnosis and i know its sleep paralysis cause i have it. Nothing can be done for it and i have to make sure i fall asleep flat on my stomache to avoid it. Anywayz some people say its a hallucination in your sleep and other say your brain wakes up before your body does so your conscious. supposively your body goes into a paralysis state in sleep to keep you from sleep walking.

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely consult with a doctor; self diagnosis is not always the best. There is a lot of misleading information to be had and only a medical professional would know what is best.

What are your exact symptoms - just temporary paralysis or are there other associated symptoms?

What parts of your body can you not move? Just all four limbs or what?

Do you experience brief or partial feelings of musculoskeletal paralysis?

Do you also experience hypnagogic hallucinations? Feelings of dread, malevolent presence etc?

Did you know the sleep paralysis is often associated with narcolepsy?

If you've had this problem at least once a week for six months - medical intervention can be beneficial.

Still though, you should see your doctor to make sure that it is sleep paralysis and not something more serious. If you still do not wish to consult a physician then here are some things you can do to help avoid sleep paralysis:

-Get adequate amounts of sleep (7-8 hrs a night)

-Exercise regularly, but not too close to bed time.

-Reduce stressors in your life. Leave work at work, home life at home etc.

-Maintain a regular sleep schedule. Do not fluctuate the times you go to bed as this throws off your biological sleep pattern.

Sleep paralysis is really when the body is wakened from a REM cycle into a fully awakened state - there's no fuzzy slowly waking up part - you're just suddenly awake.

Our bodies naturally go through paralysis during REM cycles which happen about 4 to 5 times a night in an adult. They are shorter at the beginning of sleep and get longer near the end and they can range between 90-120 minutes in duration. Sleep paralysis usually happens, like I said, when you are awakened in the middle of a REM cycle where your body is naturally paralyzed.

It is possible that low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves and thus prevent the body from mimicing the dream activity i.e -prohibit the sleeper from running when they are dreaming of running. So, yes it may be a preventative measure to stop someone from sleep walking, however clinical sleep walking is a little bit different. In REM sleep the body releases a chemical to cause the sleep paralysis, in those that sleep walk they lack the chemical and thus end up mimicing what they are dreaming about - this is not always limited to walking.

Sorry I rambled. My final opinion is to go to a doctor to be 100% sure it is what you feel it is. If you do not wish to do that, then follow the recommendations to proventing sleep paralysis that I have outlined above.

Best wishes

Halo

Sleep paralysis......It has more of a spiritual meaning to it. It's supposed to be related to evil, that the dark shadows try to scare you..things like that.

Well... that certainly is an... uhmmm... interesting take on the Medical Science side of things.

How does one quantize "spiritual meaning," and "evil," and scares induced by dark shadows? I'd like to study these.

I suffer from sleep paralysis which i guess there are also people out there that suffer from that? What do you all think could be done to fix this terrifying sleeping disorder?

How are you suffering?

I love sleep paralysis,

whenever I enter that state everything gets so vivid, and lucid

and LOUD!!!

I hear things exploding!!!

Embrace it!

Not a lot of people get to experience this,

What you need to do is when you enter this state of dreaming

Watch all of your thoughts.

Watch everything as if it was a movie, and listen,

don't allow yourself to get sucked into one of those thoughts, you'll lose yourself into a dream.

After a few minutes, when everything is extremely vivid

Imagine there is a door behind you

and behind this door (Imagine anything, imagine Maui, mmm)

Turn around,

There will be a door

Open it

welcome to the world of lucid dreaming.

More information and techniques at http://www.dreamviews.com

• 1 month later...

orbsycli are you mad? :shade: I dont want to embrace it i want it to go away. Last week i fell asleep on the settee and someone came into the room, i wont go into what happened next because it is a tad pervy.

I tried to wake up, i was awake as far as i am concerned but i couldn't move , my whole body was paralized. I tried to scream but nothing came out, i could see the dog on the lawn and hear my neighbours kids talking so i knew i was awake.

I dont think a Doctor could help as it is not a medical condition, perhaps anti depressants may help i dont know.

All i know is..

I hate going to sleep.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch081/ch081b.html

I have similar sleep issues. There are times when I don't sleep more than four or five hours a week. About seven months ago it lasted for two weeks until I Googled some at-home treatments. I'm pretty sure this is the website I found. One of my problems is I have an over-active imagination so I imagine a lot of scary things like shadows and particularly Samara from The Ring and the dead chick from The Grudge. But others I just can't sleep.

This site was a big help.

Any other advice I can give you is to daydream. If I have issues I will just day dream, not about exciting things like an amusement park or something, just like maybe relaxing with my friends or boyfriend, or scenarios like "What would life be like if I was a cat-girl" or something fictional like that. It helps relax my mind and take it off everything in the room. I also put in a movie that I've seen over and over. If you put in a new movie that you've never seen before, you're not going to be able to sleep because your mind will be focused on the words and what's going to happen next. Old Disney and Bugs Bunny cartoons work the best. I also sleep with a lamp on. I can't fall asleep in pure darkness, even if I'm not imagining a monster in the darkness.

I hope it helps, I feel you brother! :)

• 1 year later...

Did you know the sleep paralysis is often associated with narcolepsy?

ogical sleep pattern..

Best wishes

Halo

interesting article on narcolepsy

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/science/23narc.html

Scientist at Work | Emmanuel Mignot

From Faithful Dogs and Difficult Fish, Insight Into Narcolepsy

The normal boundaries between wakefulness and slumber fray in narcolepsy, which plagues 135,000 Americans.

Symptoms include overwhelming sleepiness during the day, insomnia at night and hallucinations or muscle paralysis while dozing off.

Laughter or strong emotions like elation and anger can set off sudden muscle weakness. One good joke, and patients can find their knees buckling or heads sagging. But they remain awake.

also this

Eyes Wide Shut: Thoughts on Sleep

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/science/23quot.html