Science Forums

Voices in your head, and insanity (do they go together?)

They are not only voices. They are visualizations. Such as people walking through my door. Someone knocking when no one is there and one time a book fell off the shelf. Last night for instance someone knocked at my door I opened it to find no one there. How does science explain this. Crazy. Hamlet. George Washington saw and Angel in the White House and Abraham Lincoln has also been spotted walking around the campus of the White House. Scientific approach may be able to use EVP and record paranormal activity surrounding me. Or maybe I am just off my rocker but I know I heard a knock it was a light knock and I just talked with the guy the lives two doors down and it wasn't him. I even looked outside.

Last night for instance someone knocked at my door I opened it to find no one there. How does science explain this.

Well, the most simple answer is that it could be a practical joke. However, ryan, after reading many of your posts, your brain is like a cell phone with poor connection. The signal is there. There is a person speaking clearly, but the signal doesn't make it all the way to the receiver.

Imagination in kid's is a marvelous learning tool. Overactive and uncontrollable imagination in adults is seen as requiring help.

Can you look at a blank peice of white paper for more than 5 seconds without losing focus? If not, try. If you can, try for 10 seconds. Once you do that, add 5 seconds continually until your focus is steady throughout the day.

Infinite,

Actually my belief is that the treatment I have recieved has caused my mind to kind of lose abilities such as reading and writing fluently that people can find a receiving end that could digest what I am saying. It is not that you are burnt out but listen to the Ph'ds in intelligence and creativity and how genius is tied to madness. BBC just recently did a special on it. Honestly my transmissions don't seem to make it to you the reciever but I'll bet you other people can understand me and if they can't it is because my writing, spelling, and syntax is to some degree needed to be graded. My ability to draw deteriorated a long time ago and I am left trying to found a hospital because John F. Kennedy had a brain injury and I am indebted to the spirits surrounding me. Regardless of all the theories whether schizophrenia or not I want to help people recover from all kinds of mental health problems because I believe that creativity and the ability to imagine write read are very important. Heck I was mad at John Kerry and Tom Vilsack for showing up at Independence,Iowa during the fourth of July but I will tell you after thinking about it that truly was a classic political move. And I am an environmentalist so I can agree with them. I don't care if Kerry called people stupid I have been called all sorts of things and I don't think his blunder made me any less smarter. I am smart. I will try to read and write better in the future though. I have a question though am I borderline healthy?

• 4 weeks later...
i often hear voices, in the form of parts of my subconcious arguing with other parts. at the moment, im trying to develope them into personalities. having dissociative identity disorder (multiple personalities) sounds like fun.

Julian Jaynes is smiling your way.

—Larv

hmm, wonder if that would work as an insanity plea? O.O

While I presume your question was rhetorical, I imagine some facts would help in your consideration of making such a plea:

Washingtonpost.com: The Insanity Defense: A Closer Look

Daniel M'Naghten was a woodworker who believed he was the target of a conspiracy involving the pope and British Prime Minister Robert Peel. In 1843, M'Naghten traveled to 10 Downing Street to ambush Peel, but mistakenly shot and killed Peel's secretary. During the ensuing trial, several psychiatrists testified M'Naghten was delusional. A jury agreed, declaring him not guilty by reason of insanity.

The public howled in outrage and, a year later, a panel of British judges set forth the legal standard that has been used for 150 years — and might come into play as Aron's trial proceeds in Montgomery County. The M'Naghten rule says defendants may be acquitted only if they labored "under such defect of reason from disease of the mind" as to not realize what they were doing or why it was a crime. Some call it the "right-wrong" test.

The rule is the basis for most of the American laws permitting an insanity defense, including Maryland's. Here are some basics on the defense (see link above for more):

Insanity: Myth or Fact

In a 1979 study, less than 1/2 of 1 % of felony defendants pled insanity; and only 1 in 21,012 studied were successful

Persons successfully pleading insanity spend more time in a mental hospital than they would if found guilty and sentenced to jail

The typical "Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity" defendant is: (1) an abused wife driven to kill by years of physical abuse; or (2) a depressed individual who kills persons close to him (parents, child, lover)

hmm, i meant if you could demonstrate you suffered from a bicameral mind.

Rev. James Jones probably could have made that case. His followers certainly did suffer from it. btw: Wasn't Elizabeth Smart abducted and raped through the agency of the bicameral mind? Her abductor might have a case there.

—Larv

Wiki:

In psychology, bicameralism is a controversial theory which argues that the human brain once assumed a state known as a bicameral mind in which cognitive functions are divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking," and a second part which listens and obeys.

The term was coined by psychologist Julian Jaynes, who presented the idea in the 1976 book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, wherein he made the case that the bicameral mentality was the normal state of the human mind everywhere as recently as 3000 years ago. He used governmental bicameralism metaphorically to describe this state, exemplifying his theoretical postulate that language (and thus thought) expands by the use of metaphors.

• 1 year later...

Imagination in kid's is a marvelous learning tool. Overactive and uncontrollable imagination in adults is seen as requiring help.

That's not fair!!!!

I hear and talk to voices all the time.....helpful lil buggers I wouldn't be able to remember a thing without 'em.

Of course I'm a bit wierd anyway I think in imagery to use numbers I must actually say them and then associate them with an immage (an exploding mix of fuel and air for instance) which I must assign a functional value or they are just funny looking meaningless symbols.

To hear voices is nothing to worry about unless you never heard em before...Personaly I'd be worried if I stopped hearing them.