Science Forums

I don't like this.

The way certain apparently random words are underlined, and when you mouse over them you get an ad. Moving my mouse across the screen manages to decrease browser responsiveness by a good clip, since it draws the pop-ups everytime I go across an ad-word.

But... I know you guys have bills to pay.

I'm just saying - I wish the pop-up didn't slow down my browser.

TFS

There is a different thread about this already. I am looking at other ways to raise funds, using some of our other domains, to lessen the ad burden here at the forums. That said, the Kontera ads should not slow down your browser overly much but it seems it varies with different browsers.

You can remove the underlined ads by mousing over one of them, and then click on the little "?" icon at the top of the popup. That takes you to a page which explains what the ads are, and there is an opt-out feature somewhere towards the bottom.

Thanks Tormod.

I totally understand that you have to pay for all the bandwidth. I have Safari 2, and for some reason, any flash doesn't "scroll" with the rest of the page - it kind of jumps around and make the page take longer to redraw. This actually seems to be a "me specific" issue. :hihi:

Thanks again. I didn't know what they were called, or I would have just searched on them.

I have Safari 2, and for some reason, any flash doesn't "scroll" with the rest of the page - it kind of jumps around and make the page take longer to redraw. This actually seems to be a "me specific" issue. :hihi:

Strange. I have Safari 2 as well and not only does it ignore the underlined ads (none of my Mac browsers show them), but I never have problems with Flash ads except Firefox 1.07 which choked on them.

BTW, I don't think we show Flash ads, only javascript/DHTML ads, and most of them can be blocked with an ad blocker.

But of course, as Jay-qu points out, there is the sponsorship option to get rid of ALL ads at our forums.

Guest jamongo

Thay don't bother me at all. :phones:

I'm happy to see advertisements, because it means the site has a fighting chance to not only succeed but to make a little profit on the way. :hihi:

Oh yeah, I be a diehard believer in capitalism.:friday:

Strange. I have Safari 2 as well and not only does it ignore the underlined ads (none of my Mac browsers show them), but I never have problems with Flash ads except Firefox 1.07 which choked on them.

:hihi: You're right. They're not flash ads. They're just DHTML/Javascript. And actually, it's Safari 1.3 something. The problem I think is that they get drawn initially in the wrong place, and then they have to get "moved", and then "grayed out" or something when I actually go over them.

Could be some of the Safari / Webkit Extensions I have....

TFS

The ads do not really bother me.

And I did not even know that there were pop-ups because I have pop-up blocker. :)

We actually don't serve popup ads but popunder ads...the distinction being that they are buried behind the main screen so they shouldn't interrupt your reading.

But - as long as you are logged in you'll never get these. They are only shown to people who are not logged in. This is why I recommend that members don't log out if they are using a home or office (ie, not shared) computer.

Well, I am always logged in and I still occasionally get the ads from the text, but yes I do not receive pop ups.

Sorry, I meant pop under ads as in "ads in windows that are placed under the main window".

The adlinks (ie, the underlined ads which pop up a small ad when you mouse over them) do show for all members except sponsors.

• 1 month later...

For whatever it's worth: I have removed the AdLinks (those that appeared as underlined text in posts). I have also removed the ad that showed up below the last post on every page.

Hopefully this makes your forum experience slightly less ad-ful, and more ad-dictive instead. :hihi: