Science Forums

Lancaster

At the top of everyone;s posts there is a red and green box. Why do I only have a green box? i have a feeling that I am missing something.

The Red Boxes are for reporting a "bad post" to the administration, not for giving reputation (whether approving or otherwise). You cannot report your own post as bad, so you have no Red Box on your own posts.

That is all.:)

At the top of everyone;s posts there is a red and green box. Why do I only have a green box? i have a feeling that I am missing something.

I was going to say it's because you're banned but someone beat me to it with a, uhm, "true" explanation.

(Note to everyone else: Don't let ltl know the real reason). ;)

• 1 year later...

I've somehow managed to amass 3,458 rep points in four hits :eek2: :hihi:

Either I'm VERY good (I am, of course, but I haven't been around long enough for y'all to find that out yet), or hypography rep points have suffered the same sort of inflation as the Zimbabwe dollar since this thread was made. Not that I mind - praise gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

My question, as a n00b of only 4 days standing, is about the etiquette. Do I PM a "thank you" to my benefactors, or are their PM boxes so full of important things that they'd see it as an irritating waste of time?

My question, as a n00b of only 4 days standing, is about the etiquette. Do I PM a "thank you" to my benefactors, or are their PM boxes so full of important things that they'd see it as an irritating waste of time?

There are no hard and fast rules or expectations about this that I am aware of. I recommend you follow your instincts. I think everyone likes to be appreciated, whether it's in the form of reputation given for posts, or thanks given for reputation points.

For me, it's only been on occasion that I either offered or received private thank yous for reputation given. But ultimately, I think you should do what is in your nature.

The most important thing is to actually use the rep system so that you hand out both positive and negative reputations when you think it is fitting. Don't expect people to thank you for positive rep (they may not even notice at first) but negative rep can cause feedback. Don't be afraid to give negative rep though, it is not a punishment, only a personal opinion of a post.