Science Forums

Best SF Novels Ever Written

Pyrotex

Oh yes, "The Dragon Riders of Pern" by Anne McCaffrey

(Janus is that the right title? I'm referring to her first novel in this "series"--before she heard the word "sequel")

Colonists from Earth are stuck on a strange and dangerous planet, and over the centuries, have reverted to an agricultural society with no technology. Every century or so, another planet passes nearby and from it rains a plague of worms that eat almost everything. But the humans have learned to ride the great Dragons of Pern, which can be induced to belch fire, and burn up the worms in mid-air before they hit the ground. Yes, it's been a long time since the last attack of the worms, and the humans have forgotten about them. They have even forgotten what the Dragons are for. And a sinister red planet draws ever closer in their night skies.

Oh yes, "The Dragon Riders of Pern" by Anne McCaffrey

One of my faves :doh:

Does anyone remember a story where the folks only lived for 7 days?

One couple risked everything and ran until they found a spaceship. it protected them from the radiation that so massively accelerated their metabolism... I can not remember the rest

The story line was enthralling, but it has been 30 years since I read it :hyper:

...One couple risked everything and ran until they found a spaceship. it protected them from the radiation that so massively accelerated their metabolism......

I thought I had read everything in SF, but that's a new one on me. Must have been a short story, perhaps in one of the more obscure pulp magazines??

I guess I'm the biggest SF fan here at Hypography. Too bad--I thought there would be more aficianados here. But that's okay. You lucky dogs, you have this great list of books that you haven't read yet!! I envy you!!

The Einstein Intersection -- Samuel R. Delany

Delany is one of the most literate and "deep" of all SF writers. Reading his stuff is sometimes more of a drug "trip" than just reading a story. He never fails to create mirrors to the face of humanity and show you sides of ourselves we never dreamed of.

In this mind-blowing novel, Earth is populated by aliens. They are slightly telepathic and can sense faintly the echoing lives and thoughts of humanity -- who no longer live on Earth. We are gone, for reasons unexplained. These aliens are profoundly attracted to us like lovers or drug addicts, and so they take our shapes and forms and attempt to live human lives in and around our ruined cities, though we are and always shall be a total mystery to them.

A Fire Upon the Deep -- Vernor Vinge

Huge epic space opera, but the best one I can ever remember reading. The plot begins with a little explanation and a mystery. Galaxies are divided into Zones of Thought. No "thought" can occur in the cores; normal thought can occur in the region of the spiral arms; where the density decreases even more, thought is faster, the speed of light can be exceeded and computers can manifest hyper-human intelligence. And beyond the rims of the galaxy, where matter thins out to nothing, is the realm of the Transcend; this is where the "gods" live--beings of indescribable intelligence and power.

The story opens with a band of humans from a planet just inside the border of the Transcend, who venture just barely into the Transcend and find an airless, blasted moon containing the ancient remains of a hyper-computer system. They carefully extract what they can, hoping they don't awaken something bigger than they can handle, hoping to find novel "recipes" that will make them rich.

But they DO trigger something bigger than they can handle. Something bigger than the WHOLE FREAKIN' GALAXY can handle. Gods can be evil, you know.

One of my faves :hihi:

Does anyone remember a story where the folks only lived for 7 days?

One couple risked everything and ran until they found a spaceship. it protected them from the radiation that so massively accelerated their metabolism... I can not remember the rest

The story line was enthralling, but it has been 30 years since I read it :)

I remember that story yes, and from 30 years ago as well. Short story yes, perhaps Ray Bradbury??? Heilein??? Very good story...it must have been to stay in my sieve-like memory so long.

I guess I'm the biggest SF fan here at Hypography. Too bad--I thought there would be more aficianados here .

I was right there with you until I just lost the interest about 20 years ago. Not to single out sciene-fiction however, I lost my interest in all fiction. I did read DaVinci Code when it was given me to read, but out of awkward social obligation.:hihi:

"The Winter Queen"

"World's End"

"The Summer Queen" -- Joan D. Vinge

An epic trilogy of character and love, set in a totally unique world.

Tiamat is a bizarre world, more ocean than land, with only a small habitable strip around the equator. There is one large city, where all human retreat in the century long winter. The city is high tech though the characters aren't. Tiamat is important for several reasons. It circles a neutron star permitting interstellar travel for a few short years every 150 years; Tiamat is the only source of the eternity drug which gives immortality to the ruling elite of a dozen star systems.

The Tiamatian queen traditionally kills herself every 150 years. But this particular queen decides to have a clone made and kill off the clone so that she may continue to rule.

World's End is written by a character from the first novel, BZ; it is written as a journal of his life and travels. He had fallen in love with Tiamat's queen, and now that he has returned to his homeworld, a planet in the Hegemony, he suffers a scandal that destroys his family, and exhiles him to a freakish planet where slaves mine the desserts for exotic minerals to feed the Hegemony's hunger. There he goes insane and discovers a secret that had been lost for centuries, a secret that may rejoin him with his lost love, but which will probably destroy Tiamat.

In the Summer Queen, the new queen gets ready to greet the fleets of the Hegemony, who will come for the eternity drug. Only this time, the queen has discovered the source of the eternity drug and is unwilling for her planet to be oppressed and its resources raped by hi-tech stellar societies that keep Tiamat so poor and dependent.

I guess I'm the biggest SF fan here at Hypography.Too bad--I thought there would be more aficionados here.
I thought there would be more too,Pyrotex.I would have thought many of us acquired an interest in science at a young age through SF ...

Delany is one of the most literate and "deep" of all SF writers.

Not too many authors can describe the "strange" as eloquently as Delany.Stars In My Pocket Like Grains Of Sand as I mentioned,is one of my favorites.Babel 17 wasn't bad either.

Anyway,some more favorite authors(that havn't been mentioned):Jack Vance,Robert Silverberg,Roger Zelazny,Cordwainer Smith,and Poul Anderson.

...Anyway,some more favorite authors(that havn't been mentioned):Jack Vance,Robert Silverberg,Roger Zelazny,Cordwainer Smith,and Poul Anderson.

Well! By all means, trot out a few of their books. If you can't remember the names, just go to Amazon.com and do a search on the authors one at a time. Get the titles and even a short blurb or two! :hihi::):)

My sister Samantha was the Sci-fi nut in the house. Several years ago (12?) I borrowed a novel from her that she had gotten through a book club. It was two books in a series by David Brin. "Startide Rising" and "Uplift War". I have always inteneded to read the rest of the series, but it has not happened yet.

Bill