Science Forums

Protecting your prostate

Good luck

being done by urologist or GP?

Most older men have naturally enlarged prostates which can interfere with mictation.

My PSA levels were 3 and 4X what they are supposed to be for my age group. 3 more hours till biopsy, I'm betting this will never be recreational....

• 1 month later...

Unique Identifier 19951012

Status MEDLINE

Authors Wuttke W. Jarry H. Seidlova-Wuttke D.

Authors Full Name Wuttke, Wolfgang. Jarry, Hubertus. Seidlova-Wuttke, Dana.

Institution Department of Endocrinology, University Medical Center Goettingen, Germany. [email protected] <[email protected]>

Title Plant-derived alternative treatments for the aging male: facts and myths. [Review] [52 refs]

Source Aging Male. 13(2):75-81, 2010 Jun.

Abstract Soy- or red clover- derived products containing isoflavones have been amply studied in climacteric and postmenopausal women, and confusing contradicting results have been published. The beneficial effects on climacteric complaints, cholesterol and the development of osteoporosis are marginally at best and there are no uterine and mammary safety studies. In males, however, isoflavones may protect the prostate to make them less prone to develop cancer.

Cell biological and animal experimental data support this notion.

Clinical data about possible beneficial effects on cholesterol or in the bone are largely missing.

Hence, soy or red clover products containing the mild estrogenic isoflavones with a slightly higher affinity to the estrogen receptor of the beta in comparison to the alpha subtype may prove to have some beneficial effects in males. [References: 52]

Publication Type Journal Article. Review.

Unique Identifier 19288499

Status MEDLINE

Authors Skaudickas D. Kondrotas AJ. Kevelaitis E. Venskutonis PR.

Authors Full Name Skaudickas, D. Kondrotas, A J. Kevelaitis, E. Venskutonis, P R.

Institution Department of Physiology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania.

Title The effect of Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench extract on experimental prostate hyperplasia.

Source Phytotherapy Research. 23(10):1474-8, 2009 Oct.

Abstract The aim of this study was to examine the effect of purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea L. Moench) on the prostate gland of rats using an experimental model of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). The animals were administered 50 mg/kg of extract preparation for 4 and 8 weeks and the prostate mass and structural degenerative changes were evaluated in the course of the experiment.

The administration of E. purpurea extract to rats with hyperplasia for 4 and 8 weeks gradually and significantly reduced the prostate mass and reversed the degenerative changes in the structure of the prostate gland.

The present investigation suggests extract of purple coneflower prevents the development of BPH. © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Publication Type Journal Article. Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't.

Edited by Michaelangelica

One of the main ingredients in beer appears to thwart prostate cancer, according to findings released by US researchers.

One way to improve bodys overall defence system could be to take holistic but not alcoholistic approach ;)

An antiinflammatory dietary mix modulates inflamma... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2010] - PubMed result

So "coctails" of known antiinflammatory dietary ingredients. Pub Med is good source to find related studies concernig this topic

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19371472

Edited by Vox

• 3 weeks later...

So prostate cancer is a very rare disease in China and India.

The second? best cause of male death in USA.

Almost twice as prevalent in US blacks as whites and in the Caribbean

What does this tell us?

Well i go in for a prostratectomy in a week and a half or so, my genetic heritage includes Native Americans, Africans, and Europeans, not sure if any of that really matters but i drank as much beer and ate as many hot peppers as I could and it didn't seem to matter for me....

Some very sane measured advice -audio

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2010/2988868.htm#transcript

Peter Scardino is Chairman of the Department of Surgery and heads the Prostate Cancer Program at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

There's no rush to diagnose the cancer number one and PSAs can be quite variable particularly if you're a man in your 50s or over 50 your prostate begins to enlarge, that makes the PSA go up and it also makes the PSA more variable. One day you may walk in the doctor's office and your PSA is up a bit, you wait six or eight weeks and have it tested and it's back down again and you know you don't have to worry. So we often say it's the lowest that the PSA gets that we're most interested in, not the highest that it gets.

also

John Mulhall who's Director of Sexual and Reproductive Medicine at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Center in New York, a pioneer of penile rehabilitation.

Norman Swan: Speaking of side effects of treatment that's a critical part of decision making for any therapy but especially in prostate cancer where the risks include incontinence and erectile dysfunction. And erectile dysfunction in particular is what John Mulhall is on a mission about and often bypassing his fellow doctors in the process. He's Director of Sexual and Reproductive Medicine also at Memorial Sloan-Kettering and a pioneer of penile rehabilitation.

John Mulhall: I've spent 14 years in academic practice and sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head off a brick wall when I'm trying to educate physicians. Physicians have a tremendous level of discomfort talking about sexual health. The new strategy now is to go to patients to give them the questions that they should ask to optimise their sexual health outcomes after their prostate cancer therapy.

Norman Swan: So what are these questions?

John Mulhall: Well first of all I think that patients need to be better consumers; they need to look at the experience level of the physician they are choosing. It's estimated that a physician to optimise his expertise or her expertise in doing a radical prostatectomy is to have done 250 in total and to be doing about 50 a year. So I think a very basic question to ask would be I'm going to see Dr X do we have a sense for how many of these he has done?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A VERY large study, the findings were based on data from more than 11,000 men taking part in the EPIC Heidelberg cohort.

The Vitamin You Need to Prevent Prostate Cancer - Articles

Plants Containing PHYLLOQUINONE

Ordered by quantity

Species Part Quantity Reference

Vaccinium corymbosum L. -- Blueberry Fruit 300 ppm DUKE1992A

List of plants containing PHYLLOQUINONE

http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/chemdisp.xsql

nice information thanks