Science Forums

Diabetes Cases Rise From 30 Million To 230 Million In 20 Years

Edella

Serching google news for health related stories I came across this http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=44967

Wow. I knew cases of diabetes was on the rise,but nothing like this.In Nauru and The United Arab Emirates,the percentage of adults with diabetes is 30.2 % and 20.1 % respectively.

Also,from American Diabetes Association this:"While Type 2 was traditionally thought of as affecting older people, in recent years people have been found to have the disease at younger and younger ages." Surely part of the increase is due to better detection efforts,but why this dramatic increase?

Not sure about other contries, but in the USA there have been a number of studies linking the increase in obesity to the increase in type 2 diabetes.

That is also one of the reasons given for the occurance of type 2 in younger people (another is screening).

I am sure type 1 is also on the rise. However, I am guessing it is at a much slower rate.

Concerning type II diabetes... That Insulin produced in the Pancreas is Finite in supply! :shrug:

Meaning, you drink lots of sugary sodas, eat lots of carb-loaded snacks, and your Insulin will be used up faster than other wise.

This I disagree with. It is fairly easy to prove that insulin isn't used up, however...

Type II Adult Onset we are talking about.

Exercise is also a Key component. Or lack of...

...snip...

Insulin is produced in the Beta cells of the Pancreas, and like anything in the body...If you deplete it too rapidly, then bad things and aging are going to occur pre-maturely..

:Waldo:

This I agree with. And I also agree the ancient Chinese knowledge has much to teach the modern world.

There is a limit to the amount of insulin type 2 diabetics can put out, so the insulin never really 'runs out'. It does reach a point where it can't produce more.

However, this is different for different people. I suspect some people that live a very healthy life also have type 2 diabetes, however I don't know that for certain. I will see what I can find.

I am sure type 1 is also on the rise. However, I am guessing it is at a much slower rate.

Why? This is a genetically induced autoimmune issue, whereby Type 2 tends to be more behavioral (i.e. insulin production cannot keep pace with lifestyle). How is our current lifestyle going to effect genetics in the immediate future?

I've stated this in my Chi thread, and no-wants to believe it.

Concerning type II diabetes... That Insulin produced in the Pancreas is Finite in supply!

Meaning, you drink lots of sugary sodas, eat lots of carb-loaded snacks, and your Insulin will be used up faster than other wise.

This too strikes me as inaccurate, but I remain open to confirmation. As a Type I diabetic myself, I feel to be a bit of an expert on the subject, complete with personal experience, however, show me the data to support this and I'll be the first say I was wrong. :) However, as my comment to Z above indicates, the word "production" seems more appropriate to me than the term "supply."

The logic in your statement above would seem to imply that only older people would be effected by Type II diabetes, as they would be more prone to being at the "end" of their insulin supply. Unless children were born with a tiny "pool" of insulin, it would only be much later in life before they'd be impacted by Type II, which certainly is not the case.

Now, our lifestyle has changed and we are clearly more of a Mickey D's/Flabby knees generation, but I am pretty sure insulin is not in finite supply at birth. Want an easy test? Gather a few hundred babies and measure their volume of insulin available. Gather a few hundred octogenerians and measure theirs... with maybe a few mid-lifers thrown into the bunch for graphs and trending. My guess would be that insulin is produced continually, not finite in supply over a life time.

Cheers. :)

Why? This is a genetically induced autoimmune issue, whereby Type 2 tends to be more behavioral (i.e. insulin production cannot keep pace with lifestyle). How is our current lifestyle going to effect genetics in the immediate future?

I am sure the pure number of type 1 diabetics is increasing simply because the population is increasing.

The percentage of type 1 diabetics, I suspect, is also rising. Much more slowly though, again, just a guess. I hypothisize that more type 1 diabetics are living to child bearing age than the last generation. And many more than type one diabetics 4 generations ago.

Since a part of the cause of type 1, at this time, seems to be a genetic flag it follows that the percentage of the population is increasing.

We also still don't know exactly what the trigger is. I have no basis though to even guess that that trigger is more common in the current world than it was in the past. However, IF the rate of type 1 diabetes is also increasing, this may be something else to look at.

There are multiple causes to this.

Racoon makes an interesting point about limited effectivness of the pancrias- something that rings true to me, but needs further study.

Zythryn makes an excellent point about our evolutionn into diabetes. What used to be a child killer and limited in spread genetically is now easily controlled so that those with the trait now live to pass it on. (There should be a similar trend noted in rate of cesarian sections and next generation childbirth issues)

I would add to this (at the risk of having missed it when I read through the thread) that the rate of diabetes is almost directly proportional to the amount of processed sugar and grain in our diets. Very finely ground grains metabolize completely differently that rough ground grains. Causing a different response in insulin. In history as we have consumed more and more sugar and highly processed grain we see an equal rise in diabetes among the population. The best example is among the American Indians who had no history of diabetes until they adopted the wetern diet. Now they are one of the most afflicted populations. The same story is repeating itself around the world.

You are what you eat.

Bill