Science Forums

Our antiselves

Aki

I remember reading in Hawking's book, "A brief history of time", that every one of us has an antiself, and that if we touch our antiselves, then we would annihilate. My question is where is our "antiself" in the universe if it really exists

Heh...must be almost 20 years since I read that one now. Hm. I don't know what this is supposed to mean. I guess it is a part of the theory that most of the matter in our universe is mirror matter (aka antimatter with a twist) and that every particle in the universe has a anti-twin. So there is an anti-Earth with anti-humans on it. I think it would reside in the same spot as the Earth, actually. I remember reading an article about this in New Scientist a few years ago which claimed that the Earth and an anti-Earth could occupy the same space without even recognizing each other.

Note that this explanation requires the anti-Earth NOT to consist of "antimatter" but of mirror matter which would somehow NOT annihilate upon contact with regular matter.

Or maybe I'm just reciting long-lost memories here. Just trying...

Actually I found a site that has extensive info on mirror matter and mirror planets

http://www.geocities.com/mirrorplanets/.

And it mentions not only testablity, but how mirror matter could be the best answer to Pioneer's slowing down.

"A mirror matter gas component in our solar system would not be swept out by the solar wind. Such mirror matter particles striking spacecraft would lead to a drag force slowing them down. In fact, precise measurements of the velocities of the Pioneer spacecraft indicate that they are indeed slowing down faster than expected due to known forces! "