Science Forums

Broken coccyx (sp?)

So - I broke my coccyx the other day. Long story, but suffice it to say I was crying like a little baby for the best part of an hour. It hurts, dammit!

My friend is telling me a horror story of his mother who broke hers when she was in her late twenties, and it's still giving her hassles to this day. She's mid sixties now. She needs a special little cushion to sit on, etc. Apparently it never comes 100% right again! :eek:

So - to cut a long story short, is there any hope for a broken ***-bone? Give me good news here, the thing is driving me insane!

Come on, I think we'd all like to hear the long story of how you managed to break your coccyx. :eek:

Anyway, I'd suggest the obvious: avoid sitting for long periods of time, invest in one of those doughnut-shaped cushions, take some anti-inflammatory painkillers (e.g. ibuprofen) and get steroid injections.

If the pain persists, please go to the doctor (yes, I know you don't like to, but just do it!). He might even refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon. I'm afraid surgery will probably be your best option if the severe pain persists.

Don't be overly macho, and do what it takes to let it heal.

I broke my toe throwing a roundhouse at someone's jaw, and I was too "macho" to tape it to my big toe. Now, my foot will never be right again, and I always have to "pop" the toe back into place.

See a good doctor, ask them for ways to maximize proper healing, and do it.

Hope your broke butt mountain shifts back into place very soon bro.

Cheers. :shrug:

So - I broke my coccyx the other day. Long story, but suffice it to say I was crying like a little baby for the best part of an hour. It hurts, dammit!

...So - to cut a long story short, is there any hope for a broken ***-bone? Give me good news here, the thing is driving me insane!

You seem a tough individual accustomed to injury & pain from your knifemaking, road-tripping, & other daring pursuits, and now you have another opportunity to employ mind over matter in putting it out of your mind.:eek2: That is the good news.:doh:

The indifferent news is that after 20 or 30 years it's likely some new accute pain will take the fore.:hihi:

So - to cut a long story short, is there any hope for a broken ***-bone? Give me good news here, the thing is driving me insane!
I don’t have any personal or clinical experience with your injury, so can only offer an observation about sitting comfort based on my own experience.

For a couple of decades, I was a pretty serious sprinter and middle distance (400-1000 meter) runner. As you may have noticed, people who do this tend to develop enormous asses (gluteus maximus muscles).

When I wound up as a full-time programmer, sitting on my enormous *** for extended periods, I noticed that I seemed to have much less discomfort from it than my skinnier-assed colleagues.

As the years went by and my *** assumed more ordinary proportions and consistency, I started experiencing the usual collection of lower spine, pelvic, and leg pains. A month or 2 of speed training, and they seemed to lessen.

Though I’ve not studied it with scientific rigor, it’s clear to me that big, strong *** muscles help protect one’s bony posterior parts from the abuse modern life gives them. As the healing of your cracked coccyx bones will largely be a matter of chance and involuntary physiology, exercise to build up you glutes and surrounding muscles and tendons might be of long term help – not to mention providing a bit of vital top-end running speed for moments when you need to avoid getting kicked in them.

Thanks for the input!

Seems allright when I sit in any one position. It's the moment I move to a different position when it hurts like hell. No gradual build-up of pain, just one moment nothing, the next moment there's a red-hot poker up my ***.

Funny enough, I didn't think lying down would hurt - but lying flat on my back without a pillow (my favourite sleeping position) seems to be off-limits now! ;) Now I've gotta sleep on my side!

I think I should go and see some sort of quack.

Ouch.

Okay, Chacmool - since you've asked, I tripped over a cat. True's Bob. And there was a plank about 3/4 inch wide standing on its side which broke my fall - slap bang between the butt cheecks. Nett result: One airborne cat, and one broken coccyx. And that happened in Cape Town of all places, last Tuesday.

Bummer.

It's not good.

I just landed on mine after jumping a gymnastics "horse" at school.

It hurt for about a year.:hyper:

You might try Arnica ointment for the brusing and Comfrey to help the bones knit together quickly.

Comfrey root is best, use externally or add a small amount of young leaf to salads.

It does containe Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids so if you eat a lot take some St. Mary's Thistle to protect your liver

or

preferably buy some Pyrrolizidine Alkaloid-Free Comfrey from the web. It is magic stuff for promoting healing especially of bones. ;)

Funny enough, I didn't think lying down would hurt - but lying flat on my back without a pillow (my favourite sleeping position) seems to be off-limits now! :eek: Now I've gotta sleep on my side!
What a blessing in disguise - at least your snoring should be cured now! :)
Okay, Chacmool - since you've asked, I tripped over a cat.
Serves you right for hating cats so much! B)

Okay, Chacmool - since you've asked, I tripped over a cat. True's Bob. And there was a plank about 3/4 inch wide standing on its side which broke my fall - slap bang between the butt cheeks. Net result: One airborne cat, and one broken coccyx. And that happened in Cape Town of all places, last Tuesday.

Bummer.

Bummer is right. Had someone had a video cam, we'd all be screaming with laughter. :Waldo:

I know how painful this sort of an injury is though, I had some jackass in junior high grab me and give me the "birthday" bumps on his knee. Somehow he managed to hit the coccyx, I fell onto the floor feeling paralyzed from the waist down, and then came the excruciating pain. I couldn't move for the better part of 15 minutes.

As you know this bone isn't exactly in an area that is capable of being casted, but it still requires the same immobility. Ice packs, in addition to rest, usually help to provide pain relief. (The donut someone recommended up above is a good idea too.)

Physical therapists can help relieve pain that exists afterwards, especially if the pain is associated with weakened muscles and ligaments near the coccyx. Pain relief after a broken coccyx has healed can sometimes be achieved through a chiropractor, or a good massage therapist. (No, I don't mean the one with the happy finish.)

I tried this one massage therapy called Bowen Therapy, by all medical standards I would consider this type of therapy hokey....quackery at its finest. But the fact remains, within two sessions I was able to sit without pain.

However, if your pain exists in the area of the coccyx one year after it has broken, a last resort is to consider surgery to remove the coccyx.

Well, I tore my ACL, and the muscles that support the knee (mainly the quadriceps with some hamstring interplay) are extremely important in keeping my knee stable. So whatever muscles may be used in support the coccyx, I would definitely suggest in strengthening. If the coccyx becomes extremely bothersome, some surgeons would suggest removal (after every possible conservative treatment has failed) of it. However, I'm sure that's the last thing you would like to happen.