Science Forums

Somebody had to do it...

Boerseun

What is classified history? For me it caries the connotation of old and long ago. But what is the minimum age (if there is one) for something to be considered part of history?

Tough question.

I don't personally think a limit should be set, but maybe at the very least we could try to avoid including issues which are still impacting society and culture. For example, current war in Iraq? No. First Gulf Incursion? Yes. Bush presidency? Not yet. Clinton presidency? Yes.

However, I'll leave those decisions up to the Mods of this forum! :cup:

History is a way of seeing events, not a period. Anything has happened can be considered history, provided it is discussed in the correct, objective terms. Of course, not all history is equally interesting, and it is often best to leave a subject for a while, in order to gain a clearer insight into its long-term effects before discussing it in historical terms.

History is a way of seeing events, not a period. Anything has happened can be considered history, provided it is discussed in the correct, objective terms.

For the record, there is no such thing as objective history. What has happened in the past is always filtered by the observer, hence, subjective. That's part of what's fun about it! :cup:

I understand this. I meant objectivity is the aim of historical enquiry, not that it was the way in which such is actually discussed.

Of course, the same applies to all areas of study, including science. It is therefore usual to use the term 'objective' as a shorthand to indicate a desire for objectivity.

I too enjoy discussing historical events and their effects on current events.

Is there a current events category on this forum. If not, perhaps the history forum would be a good place for it.

But then there is a social sciences forum, which I believe discusses political news and events, so possibly current political events may not be covered.

I think this is why Tormod had such a hard time determining if a History forum was necessary. Perhaps Jayqu is correct. Let's keep things to past events not directly affecting current decisions?

Let's not go too far. President Bush is still having a direct effect on current events because he is still currently president. We may talk about Bush's election bids, promises, etc. but so long as we aren't looking for current discussion of how those things are going today, or affecting his current activities as president.

President Clinton on the other hand, while still a speaker and an occasional activist is no longer acting president. Therefore, to discuss his presidency would be to discuss history, but to discuss the effect his presidency is having on current events, would be current events.

I wouldn't quite call them exceptions though, how about the Roman Empire, Charlemagne and the Middle ages, the French and American revolutions and what led up to them, just to mention prominent things.

I can still remember, back when I was at high school, the teacher starting the subject by explaining why we study it. The answer is simple, understanding history helps to understand who we are and why things are the way they are.

I wouldn't quite call them exceptions though, how about the Roman Empire, Charlemagne and the Middle ages, the French and American revolutions and what led up to them, just to mention prominent things.

I can still remember, back when I was at high school, the teacher starting the subject by explaining why we study it. The answer is simple, understanding history helps to understand who we are and why things are the way they are.

History in high school was bland and boring. I think there was too much that "somebody" found offensive, so we were taught the drab bits. History in college was mesmerizing--great teacher--great lectures.

I am particularly fascinated with the way History seems to transmogrify with sudden saltations or "leaps" of new facts and interpretation. For example, the History of Christianity has for centuries suffered from a near total lack of evidence for the origin of that religion, and its first 400 years. First, Constantine took it as his state religion. Then nothing. Suddenly, 400 years later, there was Pope Leo II, on the throne in Rome, issuing bulls and burning pagans. What happened?

Over the last century and a half, a wealth of archeological evidence has emerged. Including the Gnostic Gospels which had nearly been eradicated from the Earth--by the early Roman Church, apparently. A factless and boring story has now become a great mystery and riddle, with piles of evidence and smoking guns!! Fascinating!!

I am well aware that there are millions of people who do NOT like this turn of events.