Science Forums

Tourets

I think you misunderstand Tourette syndrome,(Many people do.)

The exact cause of Tourette syndrome is unknown, but it appears to be linked to the gene or genes that control the chemicals that carry signals from one brain cell to another. About a third of people with the disorder have relatives with Tourette syndrome, while another third have family members with milder tic disorders.

The verbal tics you refer to is called coprolalia (the involuntary use of obscene words or socially inappropriate words and phrases), copropraxia refers to obscene gestures.

Neither echolalia (echo speech) or coprolalia/copropraxia is necessary for the diagnosis of Tourette syndrome.

Perhaps this should be moved to Medical Science.

How do people get tourets i realy dont get it its not like a genetic disorder or a disease why can they have tourets syndrome with a word like potatoes instead of swear words.

I havei just finished reading a book by dr. Oliver Sacks "An Anthropologist on Mars"

He gives a facinating account of a severe Tourets syndrome sufferer who is a well-respected surgeon!

In his spare time he is a light plane pilot!

A good read but I don't have the answer to your question

a book by dr. Oliver Sacks "An Anthropologist on Mars"

He gives a facinating account of a severe Tourets syndrome sufferer who is a well-respected surgeon!

A wonderful read.I just finished it last month.It is a look into the lives of seven people with various neurological disorders.One of the most amazing people discribed is Temple Grandin who,in spite of her Aspergers Syndrome(a type of autism)holds a Ph.D. in animal science,teaches at Colorado State University,and runs a business designing animal facilities all over the world.Her autobiography Emergence: Labeled Autistic is a heart tugging work illustrating the struggles of very bright young woman dealing with more than I can imagine.

Please!Mods,send to Medical Science!

Tourettes has been characterized --by popular media-- as a disease that causes a subject to shout out obsceneties randomly. Tourettes however, is in reality, characterized by repetative systematic habits --namely words and sounds, but can also be motions.

I was in a local department store once, and there was a seemingly dapper gentleman in the check-out line. All of a sudden, he started humming and makingvery strange sounds, "AHHHlalala!". He would be quiet for a few minutes, and similar things would happen. The person who he was with offered an explanation to the stunned shoppers. *Tourettes* :singer:

A wonderful read.I just finished it last month.It is a look into the lives of seven people with various neurological disorders.One of the most amazing people discribed is Temple Grandin who,in spite of her Aspergers Syndrome(a type of autism)holds a Ph.D. in animal science,teaches at Colorado State University,and runs a business designing animal facilities all over the world.Her autobiography Emergence: Labeled Autistic is a heart tugging work illustrating the struggles of very bright young woman dealing with more than I can imagine.

Amazing today I get an Email from the BBC and look what's there

Spooky !:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/temple.shtml

The Woman Who Thinks like a Cow