Science Forums

Stupid questions...

Boerseun

lessee...stupid questions.

It was 1971, I was a grad student at Mississippi State University, and I had fallen in with a bunch of really kool dope smokin' hippies. Stacy was the leader, eventually my best friend, editor of the campus newspaper, ringleader and hedonist. His new girlfriend was Mel, a bubbly freshman, 5'2", with a body and face that caused grown men to walk into trees.

Stacy had pulled my wheelchair up to the loft where he and Mel were living, for a party. There were half a dozen of us around the chianti bottle, talking about sex. I had just described (in detail) how I had done it the first time. Mel was particularly interested. She said,

"That's great! ... Have you ever done it standing up in the shower?"

A sudden silence hit the room like 40 pounds of elephant ****. It took another two seconds, then her eyes popped wide open and her hand flew to her mouth in terror. I did the only thing possible. I burst into laughter until the tears were streaming down my face. The whole room just totally fell apart. It was a great time to be alive.

Hahaha! :beer:

My mate's father Norman (down in Cape Town) had to help a friend of his buy a house recently. His friend is totally blind, and needed Norm to check the house out for him. He's a widower, so he needed help.

So they got to this house, Norman with the blind guy in tow, and the estate agent was informed of the situation with the blind buyer.

...and, of course, throughout the entire trip through the house and the property, the agent couldn't stop blabbing about the wonderful view of the bay.

Idjit!

• 4 months later...

Bird's eggs are oval with a pointed side and a round side so that in the even of rolling our the nest, they'll roll in a circle, and won't roll away. (Fat lot of good that'll do for a tree-nesting bird... SPLAT!)

...or so I've been told. Dunno if it's true, though, but it does kinda make sense.

This was aquestion asked to me in my series Curiosity Corner in the popular science monthly called Science Reporter.

My answer was as follows:

No accepted explanation for the oval shape of a bird’s egg is known. One can at best venture an informed guess. The reason may lie in the ultimate function of the egg than in its process of formation. Since an egg is an embryo several metabolic processes that require oxygen from the atmosphere are crucial for its hatching. As we know a bird’s egg has an air sac located at its broader edge. It is through this sac that oxygen diffusses inside. If the egg were spherical in shape this sac could be blocked when it faces the ground. An oval shape ensures that the chances of the air sac facing the ground are minimal and hence the chances that the egg will hatch successfully increase. Several other animals and insects do lay almost spherical eggs, but then they lay many more eggs at a time and only few hatch successfully.

Does anybody have any comments on this answer?

Far as I know an egg's shape is simply caused by the way the bird's reproductive tract squeezes it out while the shell is still semi-soft.

Yes, that too is a factor to be considered in fact, in my article I also said:

The egg of a bird is also a result of growth of a cellular mass inside its ovum. This growth is again almost symmetric hence an egg inside the body of a bird is almost spherical. It assumes an oval shape, only as a result of the differences in pressure around its surface as it is ejected from the cochlea ( the organ through which the egg is ejected). This is so because an egg at the time of being laid is fairly plastic. The cochlea tract has to stretch quite a bit at the time of ejection. Towards the end of ejaculation it contracts and hence the circumference of the egg at one end is smaller.

Here's yet another stupid question of the same genre:

What is the reason for the conical shape of the candle flame?

Far as I know an egg's shape is simply caused by the way the bird's reproductive tract squeezes it out while the shell is still semi-soft.
Yes, that too is a factor to be considered in fact, in my article I also said:

Not so fast!:wink: According to another several sources, the chicken egg is already hard upon arrival.

The egg shell is hard at the time of laying and the feed has a limited role in deciding its colour.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061001070709AAPJ2U4

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 30,200 for Is a chicken egg soft when it's laid?. (0.10 seconds)

When the plasma ignites, at the base of the flame, it's broad, fat and blue. It's blue because not all the gases in the mix have ignited yet, and is purely a chemical thing. The air sucked in to provide oxygen is relatively cold, and now everything starts getting hot (because of the continuous ignition). The resulting air rises, and the higher it rises, the more complete the ignition gets. That's why the flame's colour change as you go up. But now, the hot gas gets hotter still, which accellerates the mix due to normal convection. And the faster the gas goes, the thinner it stretches the 'body' of the flame out.

So, airflow at the bottom is slow; flame is fat.

The higher up the flame the faster the gas flows, and the thinner the flame.

Hence the conical shape.

Funny enough, this isn't demonstrable on the Space Station... Convection there doesn't work, and any flame will expand spherically until the oxygen inside the sphere is used up, and will then die.

This may be a stupid question, but i think its more of a stupid system.

How come someone will not be executed because they are sick? If you are going to kill someone why does it matter if they are in ill-health?

Crazy countires that kill people...:eek_big:

execution. I think, if I was going to be executed, it wouldn't matter either way to me. If I was going to die anyways, why not just put a bullet in my head the moment the decision to kill me is made?

Getting sent to death row must be the most depressing thing ever. Years to anticipate a deadline.

Good attempt Boerseun! Here's my answer:

A candle flame is essentially a mass of gases evolved as a result of of vaprization of the hydrocarbon molecules of the wax. The larger particles emit yellow light because of incandescence while the smaller particles produced by the combustion emit blue light because they are made up of atoms/molecules in the exited state. The flame is broader at the base, because most of the gases are indeed evolved here. As they rise up they cool down due to exposure to the surroundings and stop emitting light hence the flame becomes thinner. Thus the shape of the flame tapers off.