Science Forums

Natural | Supernatural

C1ay

We're splitting hairs here.
Exactly.

Further, another edition (1913) of Webster's gives, among meanings for the same word, "above or beyond nature" and "whatever is above and beyond the scope, or the established course, of the laws of nature" and somewhat confirms my opinions. :shrug:

IMV there isn't much point in discussing further, 'natural' is a very vague notion, ranging in meaning between things like "normal" or "usual" and "not made by man". One could say it means "without external intervention" but even this leaves open which is "external"; that of man, that of God, or just anything unusual or unlikely. Meanings always get kicked around in spoken languages because the average Jo Blo just uses the handiest word that comes to mind first and most people understand words by how they've heard them used, and dictionaries list meanings that recur enough.

Further, another edition (1913) of Webster's gives, among meanings for the same word, "above or beyond nature" and "whatever is above and beyond the scope, or the established course, of the laws of nature" and somewhat confirms my opinions. :P

Precisely, we have no evidence of anything beyond the laws of nature. For this reason it is illogical to answer questions like those on the origin of life or the origin of the universe by invoking the supernatural. There is simply no evidence to even support such a suggestions as a valid hypothesis of any kind. It took a while but mankind finally figured out that there was no fire god responsible for fire; it's about time that man realizes there is nothing supernatural about anything we observe.

• 1 month later...

I think for the most part supernatural just refers to people centric ideas of what could be.

Wouldn't it be cool if people that were dead still existed as a consious entity and could interact with us some how? No it doesn't make sense given what we know, but wouldn't it be cool?

Wouldn't it be cool if people could turn into giant wolves on full moons? No it doesn't make sense given what we know, but wouldn't it be cool?

etc etc

That being said who knows which of these are based on some degree of truth. I am very skeptical of such things, but I swear when I get dejavu it seems its because of remembering part of a dream of being in the exact situation I am in that I might have had a very long time before I was actually in the situation or had any indication whatsoever that I might end up in that situation.

Wouldn't it be cool if people that were dead still existed as a consious entity and could interact with us some how? No it doesn't make sense given what we know, but wouldn't it be cool?

Wouldn't it be cool if people could turn into giant wolves on full moons? No it doesn't make sense given what we know, but wouldn't it be cool?

Cool or not, would such examples be supernatural or would they simply reveal properties of nature we simply haven't discovered yet?

Well I think we as a intuitive and curious species have always come up with some sort of 'theory' based on the facts we had at the time to rationally or as rationally as possible come up with a reason behind naturally events like the sunrise the wind.And basically it's just a way of understanding something you can not possibly understand.Thus a the creation of gods that control the heavens and earth.

And well for those supernatural events like ghost sightings or flying sources I can only say that we can not doubt what we are not sure about.....In the scope of what we've seen in the universe we really must accept that anything really is possible....