Science Forums

I always thought all chocolate was good at bringing your spirits up.

I would agree with the overall "happy boost" of any chocolate, but from a medical standpoint, darker is better because it retains the highest level of flavonoids, catechin and epicatechins.

When cocoa is processed, it goes through several steps to reduce its naturally pungent taste. The more chocolate is processed, such as fermentation, alkalizing, roasting, the more flavonoids are lost.

Dark chocolate has also recently been found to contain more than 3 times the amount of catechins as that found in tea. Catecins help prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as boosting the immune systems. :)

Chocolate ~ "The divine drink, which builds up resistance and fights fatigue. A cup of this precious drink permits a man to walk for a whole day without food." Montezuma – Aztec Emperor (1480-1520)

Culture has gotten weird. Something like milk that is used to feed babies is all of a suddenly toxic to adults. This shows the type of strange and often irrational results that pop out of statistical studies.

That is a surprising statement Hydro. Since when is doing science strange? Science - and therfore knowledge - is always ammendable. One thing that has changed is what we feed the cows & here is an interesting article showing new study results that relate cows milk to increased incidence of twinning in humans.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060520_births_hormone.html

All of a sudden.;) :)

This one time... me and orby were "sold" on this new kind of milk that we found in a grocery store... it was organic milk... or something like that. It tasted really good with our cereal. The end.:)

Yeah organic milk is . . better.

I still purchase it.;)

My family always stay off milk if they have the flu or have a sinus infection

Just saw this on TV

Milk more at

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/2109.asp

Which milk is best?

25 May 2006

Most of us have been drinking milk since we were young, but with so many varieties now available, how do you know which of the bottled varieties is best for you?

Grace Bolger, a dietitian from Australian Healthy Food Guide, is setting the record straight.

"Once you're an adult you should be choosing the reduced fat or lower fat content milk because they're lower saturated fat. Saturated fat is the bad fat which is basically harmful to our heart health," she says.

Grace compared the labels on all sorts of milk to determine which ones were best for different people.

For the lactose intolerant, cow's milk has been a real no-go area.

"You can get lactose-free milks that have an enzyme added that has already digested the milk so you don't have to worry about digesting it. You can also get soy milk, rice milk, oat milk that are based on non-dairy products so they're lactose-free also," Grace says

etc

• 3 weeks later...

The ability to digest milk into adulthood is unusual among mammals.

About 10,000 years ago some humans developed and enzyme to digest milk into adulthood. Probably because they domesticated cattle.

Australian aboriginals who have been in Australia for 50-70,000 years have no ability to digest lactose- the sugar in milk.

Consequently the undigested part of the milk, builds up and becomes toxic.

It may be one of the reasons for poor aboriginal heath and high levels of substance abuse (the only time they feel 'well' is while taking alcohol etc)

Does anyone know of any psychological/cognitive symtoms of lactose intollerance?

I know I always felt "spaced out' when I drank the Govt. supplied milk at primary school

--

Michael

FROMhttp://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/_files/n26.pdf

8.1 Breast-feeding

Breast-milk is a balanced, low-residue food, which is readily utilised and meets the particular needs of infants in the early months of life. It provides proteins, fats and carbohydrates at levels and in forms uniquely adapted to the infant’s metabolic capacities and growth requirements.

It also contains biologically active components that promote growth and development by assisting the digestion and assimilation of nutrients, and actively protects the infant from disease such as gastroenteritis and respiratory tract infections (NHMRC 1995).

It has been suggested that if the prevalence of exclusive breast-feeding to three months was increased from 60 to 80 per cent, at least $11.5 million could be saved

each year in health-care costs in Australia (Drane 1997).

Health consequences

Breast-feeding is associated with reduced infant and child mortality (Jain 1996) and is increasingly recognised as fundamental for long-term health (James et al 1997).

The benefits are no longer considered to be restricted to infants in less technically developed countries (for example the prevention of diarrhoea from contaminated nursing bottles and the reduction in rates of other acute infectious disease during infancy).

Breast-fed infants have reduced risk or severity of (Cunningham et al1991):

• physiological reflux;

• pyloric stenosis;

• respiratory illness

• gastrointestinal tract disease;

• inflammatory bowel disease;

• some childhood cancers;

98 Nutrition in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples

• delayed onset of coeliac disease;

• otitis media (middle ear infection);

• urinary tract infections;

• bacteraemia and meningitis

• SIDS; and

• necrotising enterocolitis in infants delivered preterm.

Babies breast-fed for the first 13 weeks (three months) of life have substantially reduced rates of gastrointestinal illness and, to a lesser extent, respiratory illness.

This benefit has been found to continue up to one year of age (Howie et al 1990).

Mothers need to breast-feed for at least three months to confer these advantages on their infants (Howie et al 1990). If mothers consider they have insufficient milk and wish to wean their babies completely, they should be advised that there are advantages in continuing to give some breast-milk for at least three months.

Breast-feeding is beneficial to both infants and their mothers. Health benefits to the breast-feeding mother include some protection against premenopausal breast cancer,ovarian cancer and osteoporosis, and hastening uterine involution after birth

(NHMRC 1996). There may also be a beneficial effect on widening the later birth spacing interval (Zhu et al 1999)

"

(Don't bank on this last one many have been caught out by this Old Tale-m)

The ability to digest milk into adulthood is unusual among mammals.

About 10,000 years ago some humans developed and enzyme to digest milk into adulthood. Probably because they domesticated cattle.

Australian aboriginals who have been in Australia for 50-70,000 years have no ability to digest lactose- the sugar in milk.

Consequently the undigested part of the milk, builds up and becomes toxic.

It may be one of the reasons for poor aboriginal heath and high levels of substance abuse (the only time they feel 'well' is while taking alcohol etc)

Does anyone know of any psychological/cognitive symtoms of lactose intollerance?

I know I always felt "spaced out' when I drank the Govt. supplied milk at primary school

--

Michael

Isn't there a high level of lactose intolerant people in african culture as well?

My mother is lactose intollerant. She gets horrible stomach aches everytime she eats or drinks any dairy products.

YES

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1787

Genetic basis for lactose intolerance revealed

A quick and cheap genetic test will soon be able to identify people with lactose intolerance. The test will be a boon for doctors, since many people suffer from the condition without realising it, and existing tests are time-consuming and unreliable.

For perhaps the majority of people in the world, including most southern European, Asian and African populations, lactose intolerance is the norm. It sets in at weaning or shortly after, when the body stops producing lactase - the enzyme it needs to digest the sugar lactose, which is a major ingredient of human and animal milk.

Without lactase, lactose passes through the stomach undigested and reaches bacteria in the large intestine. There some bugs feast on it, belching out by-products that can leave people feeling gassy and nauseous, or worse.

Now Leena Peltonen's team at the University of California, Los Angeles, has discovered the genetic basis for lactose intolerance. The discovery supports the theory that retaining the ability to digest milk evolved only in some peoples in the past ten thousand years, as an adaptation to dairy farming.

YES

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1787

Genetic basis for lactose intolerance revealed

A quick and cheap genetic test will soon be able to identify people with lactose intolerance. The test will be a boon for doctors, since many people suffer from the condition without realising it, and existing tests are time-consuming and unreliable.

For perhaps the majority of people in the world, including most southern European, Asian and African populations, lactose intolerance is the norm. It sets in at weaning or shortly after, when the body stops producing lactase - the enzyme it needs to digest the sugar lactose, which is a major ingredient of human and animal milk.

Without lactase, lactose passes through the stomach undigested and reaches bacteria in the large intestine. There some bugs feast on it, belching out by-products that can leave people feeling gassy and nauseous, or worse.

Now Leena Peltonen's team at the University of California, Los Angeles, has discovered the genetic basis for lactose intolerance. The discovery supports the theory that retaining the ability to digest milk evolved only in some peoples in the past ten thousand years, as an adaptation to dairy farming.

Well, that's good to hear.

I've been trying to figure out if I'm lactose intolerant for about a year now.

It's hard to tell because I've always had a sensitive digestive system. I never know if it's the dairy or something else giving me a stomach ache.

It's hard to tell because I've always had a sensitive digestive system. I never know if it's the dairy or something else giving me a stomach ache.

Go off milk/cheese/etc for a couple of months

You can buy Lactose free milk

An orthomolecular specalist told me you should also go off beef as it is the same protein???

Gluten can also be a problem in those genetically pre-disposed

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:gisM3DfFwWEJ:www.bcdairyfoundation.ca/about_milk/docs/LACTOSE%2520MALDIGESTION.doc+aboriginal+gastrointestinal+sugar+intolerance&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13

Symptoms can be very variable

look at this web site

Extensive population studies in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s showed that much of the world’s adult population (approximately 70%) have low levels of the intestinal enzyme lactase. Lactase is necessary to digest lactose, the main carbohydrate in milk and dairy products. The activity of lactase reaches a maximum immediately after birth and then decreases in the majority of people after weaning (22), usually between the age of 3 to 5 years (21). Whenever the quantity of lactose consumed exceeds the capacity of the intestinal lactase to digest it, the undigested lactose passes into the large intestine. There it is fermented by colonic flora. The fermentation products result in gastrointestinal symptoms of lactose maldigestion (21).

Approximately 30% of adults, mostly Northern and Western Europeans, have adapted to maintain high lactase activity into adulthood. Research concludes that this adaptation is genetically controlled, permanent and is related to a long tradition of consuming milk and dairy products in these regions of the world (21).

Significance of lactose tolerance test

To determine if lactose maldigestion is present, a single large dose of 50 g lactose in water is given to fasting adults. This is equivalent to the amount of lactose in four glasses of milk. (One glass of milk contains about 12 g lactose.) The extent to which this lactose load is digested in the small intestine is determined indirectly by measuring breath hydrogen and/or blood glucose levels (21).

Unfortunately, the extensive symptoms resulting from this unusually large lactose load have developed and reinforced the misconception that any lactose load, hence all dairy foods, will cause symptoms. However, in usual situations, the quantity of lactose ingested at any time is much less than in the lactose tolerance test (LTT).

Lactose maldigesters retain some lactase activity which allows for the digestion of small amounts of lactose (20). Scrimshaw and Murray (21) reviewed research findings and concluded the majority of lactose maldigesters can still tolerate standard serving sizes of milk and other dairy products without experiencing adverse symptoms. Only 20 – 30% of maldigesters (or about 1 billion people worldwide) will develop symptoms after consuming one glass of milk (Figure 1).

Increasing the dose of lactose to the amount found in two glasses of milk increases the incidence of symptoms close to 50%. When further increasing the amount of lactose to 50 g (as is used in the lactose tolerance test), almost all maldigesters experienced symptoms (20).

Should lactose maldigesters actually avoid all milk and dairy products?

Although lactose maldigestion is prevalent among some ethnic groups, total elimination of dairy foods is unnecessary. The ability to tolerate lactose is not an “all or none” phenomenon. The majority of lactose maldigesters can consume a moderate amount of lactose at one time without experiencing symptoms (Figure 1), considering the Dllowing factors:

Quantity

Individuals who experience symptoms after consuming less than one glass of milk should consume smaller servings of milk more frequently. Lactose maldigesters need to determine their individual threshold for occurrence of symptoms and adjust their lactose intake accordingly (20).

Stomach emptying time

Lactase is active in the duodenum (first part of the small intestine) and its ability to handle lactose loads is very closely related to the amount of lactose emptying from the stomach. Drinking milk with other food rather than alone delays stomach emptying time and thus allows the remaining active lactase more time to digest lactose.The severity of symptoms decreases when lactose is consumed as part of a meal (14) (Figure 1).

Drinking milk at room temperature or warmer slows down the stomach emptying time and may be better tolerated than cold milk (20).

Due to its higher fat content, whole milk empties from the stomach more slowly than low fat milk and thus is better tolerated. Also, chocolate milk may be preferable to unflavoured milk because its higher osmolality delays stomach emptying (11, 21) (Figure 1).

Type of dairy food

In addition to the quantity of lactose, the type of dairy food consumed also influences symptoms of lactose maldigestion (21). Most firm cheeses (e.g.Cheddar, Swiss, mozarella) contain Iittle, if any, lactose. During the manufacturing of cheese, most of the lactose is removed with the whey. Furthermore, during the aging process of cheese, any remaining lactose is converted to lactic acid and other products (21).

What are the potential benefits of yogourt?

Several researchers (4, 10, 12, 17) have reported a significant improvement in lactose digestion and a virtual elimination of maldigestion symptoms when yogourt is the source of lactose. Although yogourt may contain more lactose than milk (depending on the addition of milk solids to improve texture and viscosity), the lack of maldigestion symptoms is believed to be due to the lactase activity of the bacteria in the yogourt cultures (12).

Since pasteurization destroys lactase activity, only yogourt containing a live bacterial culture appears to be well tolerated by lactose maldigesters (19). This means the culture has to be added after pasteurization, which is the case for all yogourt made in B.C. (2). Lactase is also sensitive to freezing. Frozen yogourts, as currently manufactured, may have little enzyme activity (2, 13) and therefore are less likely to improve digestion.

It may be particularly important to improve lactose digestion in the elderly, since lactase activity declines with age.The results of a Spanish study (24) indicated that lactose digestion in the elderly improved considerably with yoghurt

Why (not) pop a pill?

Commercially available lactase in tablet or liquid form is another means to improve lactose digestion (3, 21). The liquid enzyme is added to milk and it hydrolyzes 70% of the milk sugar within 24 hours.This lactose-reduced milk has been shown to be almost as effective as yogourt in reducing symptoms of lactose intolerance (see Glossary: LactAid). Although these lactose-reduced products are beneficial for lactose maldigesters, they are generally unnecessary if milk is consumed in moderate amounts, and combined with other foods (21).

• 2 years later...
I think about it everytime I drink milk. I have no idea if this is true or if I just made it up in my head for some quirky reason.

I *think*someone told me that Milk is vital is maintaining a good serotonin balance.

For some reason, I associate milk with happiness. I'm pretty sure I heard this from someone else.... but I may just be insane.

I need to know if this is true, for the sake of curiousity and trivial knowledge!

Anyone ever heard anything about this before? Milk and happiness?

When was the last time you had milk directly from the source (no bottle no glass)? Think about it:)......Those happy feelings may be links to a time you can't remember. How much safer or happier can one be than when cradled in their mother's arms.:turtle:

Hi to all. On the topic of MILK, I've never found it appealing in taste or effect. It has never been brought to my attention that any other mammal/animal consumes it after being weened from it's mother, other than humans. I am the farthest person from a scientist but intuition and personal experience have brought me to the conclusion that it is unnatural to consume milk, as well as refind grains. There are circumstances when I do. The effects i.e. itchiness, irretability, lethargy, and slow mental reflexes remind me why I steer away from ingesting such products. Peace to all Sherry:shrug:

Sherry, you share my sentiments.Not only are there people out there who suffer from lactose intolerance,but there are people who are allergic to the milk protein, casein.I, myself, have this allergy and have been using milk substitutes such as soy from age nine.

It is important to remember when avoiding milk that you ensure the intake of calcium and Vitamin D.What we fail to do today, will result in bone loss tomorrow.

Excellent sources of calcium can be found in leafy green vegetables, amaranth, quinoa, seaweed, oranges and molasses. Vitamin D which regulates calcium absorption can be found in fish oils, fatty fish such as salmon and sardines and merely stepping outside and catching a few rays of sunlight.

We do not need milk as promoted by the American Dairy Association, but we do need to ensure that our bodies are working to their optimum level for good health.

"Knowledge:it does a body good"

• 2 weeks later...