Science Forums

Suggestion! Suggestion!!

Great upgrading Hypography guys! Real load of new features...

Suggestions:

1: I wish there was some type of chat here... if possible PLEASE...

2: Why is there no guest remarks notebook here? The unregistered world may have some opinions that are useful...?

3: Why don't we members have a comment box, where we get multiple choice questions about how they feel about the site, and this box sends some fillable form every month or so.(To ensure that they do respond, make it compulsory for them to fill and send it before they post again?)

4: A good and well explained forum where only admins can post info without confusing and distracting posts from other members. And also some more info on LATEX and new stuff like that. I can't figure it out!

5: Please do your utmost (Please again) to make the user CP page (at a minimum) faster downloading so that guys at remote areas with poor internet speeds can atleast be spared of waiting 2-7mins waiting.

:D PLEASE:)

(Pleading face smiley)

1. We have one and it will come online soon. We tried it last year with great success but it put too much strain on our shared server. Now that we're on a dedicated box we will reinstall it as soon as we get it integrated into the forums (not a big job).

2. It's because of the endless SPAM we get from that kind of forums...

3. Interesting, never thought about that before. Thanks. But there *is* the "Feedback" forum though.

4. Do you mean a "How-to" forum, but without user input? We already have a How-to forum, have you seen it?

5. I was not aware that this was a problem. It loads blindingly fast from where i am. 2-7 minutes is strange. I have never heard from anyone about this.

5. I was not aware that this was a problem. It loads blindingly fast from where i am. 2-7 minutes is strange. I have never heard from anyone about this.

I agree. My UserCP loads in under 5 seconds at home and work. I would think that the db response would be the same for everyone and only network differences would reflect response differences at the client.

Did you notice the time between the two posts I made?

I open 5 to 7 windows at a time to make a reasonable posting and viewing speed. I am very surprised that this has'nt come up before.

Oh well, I guess it is not your fualt I'm not having broadband. I suppose everybody else has it too. So I'll wait for three more years, when I'll be shifting to Bangalore and I'll get broadband there.

Now regarding the How-to forum.

The problem with is that it has too much post from other members and It creates problems when I'm trying to move from one page to another.

Now the feedback forum. People will tell you only when they are really bugged by bugs or are really in need of something. Not when they are seeing some very very basic problems and difficulties. I guess it won't hurt if you personally ask a guy with a very bad opinion.

By the way, I'll be eager to try the chats. Thanks already;)

If you have such a slow connection, a chat might be a strain on your connection.

Anyway, the only reason things might be slow for you are your connection. Which browser and operating system are you using?

Also, have you changed the default number of topics to view? If you ahve set this to higher than 10 in your UserCP -> Options, it might slow things down for you because the pages get longer.

I'm using Internet explorer 6. And windows XP Home edition SP2 included.

The connection I'm using is a wireless CDMA connection and shows 230.4 Kbps but I don't believe it.

What all do you suggest otherwise to help me see all this faster? Could you have me not view other's avtars or something like that?

Actually, I'm using forum default for seeing the posts. Would it help if I set a small number?

The wireless connection is showing the speed between you and your wireless base, which sounds a bit low actually (I get 54 megabits per second).

Edit: I may have misinterpreted what you wrote there...230.4 Kbps is okay and should not give you slow pages. However, if your dial-up connection is 28Kbps or something like that then yes, you will get very slow pages.

As for optimizing speed:

1. Sign up for a $10 subscription, that will lose all the ads. :D (Okay, shameless plug)

2. Yes. Go here: http://hypography.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions and scroll down to Thread Display Options. Turn off "Show avatars" and also try to turn off "Show images". Let me know if that helps.

3. I don't think setting it to 5 will help you much. Default is 10. Less than that and you'll have to reload too much. In fact, you might be better off setting it to 15 or 20 - it will load the pages slower but you don't have to do so many page loads since you get most threads on one page.

Okay, the chat is up. It's located in the main menu. On the bottom of the forum index you'll find a list of people in the chat.

There's a bot in the chat if there's less than 5 people online. It's an evil bot so tread carefully.

Use your forum login to access the chat.

Okay, found a fix - I think it's ready now. The problem is related to the changes I did earlier today...all users with more than one post have been moved to a new usergroup, which, uhm, was automatically banned from the chat. :cup: