Science Forums

Is there an alternative to medical consultancy for personal health?

Doctors are becoming as essential, almost as much as ailments are becoming common!

For any ailment, it is advised that one must consult a doctor!:)

Doctors are increasingly influenced by the drug companies, whose sole concern is to make profit and more profit.

Is there an alternative to consulting a physician everytime one falls sick, especially so if one wants to stay away from the rat race to make more and more money:QuestionM

" Physician heal thyself "

Doctors do a great service HallenRM. :)

Some are better than others.

But I agree with much of what you said. :D (and it wasn't very much...)

The problem is that Doctors don't really have the time!

Here in the US you see one for a few minutes and they're on to the next patient. >>> "Here I'll prescribe this"

Its not like it used to be when the Doctor came to visit you at your home and really got to know you as a person.

Only a Physician can Diagnose you for insurance/surgical/pharmacological purposes.

There are alternatives, but and their usually referred to as Alternative and/or Preventive Medical Practitioneers.

Some of them may not be the best either...

I think you may already have an answer to your own question. :beer:

What are some Alternatives you think might be viable Hallen??

I think you may already have an answer to your own question. :D

What are some Alternatives you think might be viable Hallen??

Well, the only alternative that I think would be most useful, is to know thy body; and I by "know" I do not mean to know its biology alone.

One has to be sensitive to the needs of one's body; and not treat it in the same fashion one treats one's car:D :beer:

Somehow somewhere we are getting alienated from our body, the most precious gift of nature we all receive.

I have some experience and some thoughts to share with the visitors and members of Hypography, but I would like some more response :)

Think (w)holistically... Prevent the illness instead of treating it. Doctors become a non issue. Proper diet, exercise, stress relief, good friends... Then, doctors will only become involved when it's majorly serious and you'll benefit from the specific meds they prescribe.

Don't run to the doctor when you sneeze... get a kleenex and deal with it until your immune system is finished with it's seek and destroy mission.

Cheers. :)

Think (w)holistically... Prevent the illness instead of treating it. Doctors become a non issue. Proper diet, exercise, stress relief, good friends... Then, doctors will only become involved when it's majorly serious and you'll benefit from the specific meds they prescribe.

Well said Infinitenow!!:star:

But I suppose it is much easier said than done. We all do fall sick, for no goddamn fault. Say, catch a cold! What to do? Take an antibiotic tablet or a syrup to get over it in the briefest period of time.

I have a time tested treatment. Drink a glass or two of a citrus juice (it contains a lot of Vit C; a la Prof Pauling's suggestion) and a hight protein diet. The chances are that you will get well within a day.

What about other infections? Yesterday, I was reading that many bacteria and viruses are getting smarter, they know how to tackle the antibiotics we often use!:phones:

So one must be very careful while galloping antibiotic piills, they may do more long term harm than short term good!!!

Then there are home remedies, Ayurveda is a good resource for tips.

People in India, often use a potion made of Basil leaves, honey and ginger, to relieve cough and colds. I do vouch for this treatment.

Then there are homeopathic remedies, many educated scientists dismiss them off, but personally I have found them to be extremely potent, safe, convenient and economical.

Similarly there is Sujok and accupressure.

These therapies do not require any medicines at all. Only applying pressure at certain points help relieve a malfunction of the body. I have found both these therapies vert very useful on certain occasions!:) :)

Ultimately it is all a question of faith:) :) Most often we have a blind faith in the allopathy and therefore rush to a medical practitioner at the slightest hint of discomfort; but imagine the situation when there is no Doctor around!! These alternative therapies can often be very useful as self help:)

Well, I am very well aware of what constitute a placebo.:lol:

But in my opinion, the placebo effect is active even in the case of most allopathic medicines. Can one dispute that. Homeopathic medicines can be almost as effective as any other medicines.

But, then effect of a medicine on a particular person is often a matter of personal faith!:)