Science Forums

Ethics.

Aphotick

I think the book I'm currently reading would be appreciated by some of the people here. It's called "The Ethics Of Ambiguity". It's written by Simone De Bouvoir. She was a great novelist, dramatist, philosopher, and the most distinguished woman writer in modern France.

In the book she attacks the "central" ethical problem of modern man. It's a bit complex for many. But it's much easier to understand if you can relate to the topics personally in any way. And it's very blunt.

<3.

An Icon and a Heretic. I love Simone!

Lots of people have problems with Existentialism, because it is seemingly antagonistic to faith (just seemingly in my book), but a lot of it is the writing style itself (these folks really could have used editors!). But don't let that get in the way!

SO, Aphotick, what is it about it you find so intriguing? Expound!

For those of you who'd like to catch up, this book is aparently out of print but you can currently find it on the web here....

No Exit,

Buffy

Speaking of female philosophers and writers,

I think Ayn Rand's "The Virtue of Selfishness: A new concept of Egoism" has a nice objectivist stance on Ethics.

Her work is a bit dated, and her style is turgid.

But, she is an entertaining read, better than most! I like her...:shrug:

It's called "The Ethics Of Ambiguity". It's written by Simone De Bouvoir.

This is a great book. You've motivated me to read it again. ;) She also was involved in a relationship with Jean-Paul Satre (Being and Nothingness), and it's interesting to read the two together as it really gives a better feel of the context in which they were writing these as well as how they assisted each other in better refining their ideas.

Good call Aphotick. Enjoy! :shrug: