Science Forums

Tinctures

Racoon

I shopped at an old Chinese/Vietnamese herbal store.

Looking for "Cordyceps" at the time...

And the old Chinese man told me to make tinctures. :friday:

Herbs stewed in Vodka, or Gin... for about six months.

Then, after the fermentation and blending has occured, you take a "jigger", which is one Shot-Glass full a day! :wink:

I made a Peppermint tincture last year. This year I plan on making several more.

I have Dandelions everywhere in the yard right now. But while its a pesky weed, its also a heavy duty good for you herb! :hihi:

So I plucked out all the Dandelions and seperated the leaf from the root, and I am in the process of cleaning/soaking the roots...

To make Tincture. :confused: :ebasball:

Does anyone have experience or knowledge in making Tinctures??

I've only made a chayenne pepper and a lavendar tinture myself.

This recipe is very similiar to the one I used, only I used a blender on low speed chopping and mixing the herbs and vodka for 1 minute to get a "full embodied" tinture.

Things needed: Herbs, Vodka, brandy or rum, 80-100 proof to cover the herbs. Mason jars with lids. Muslin or Cheesecloth that is unbleached. Lastly, labels for the jars.

7-10 ounces of chopped fresh herbs for every quart of vodka, brandy or rum. When using powdered herbs, use 4 ounces of herbs to one pint of liquid. If you are making a tincture from bitter herbs it is best to use rum as it will mask the taste of the herbs. To make a non-alcoholic tincture use distilled water, glycerol or vinegar. Keep in mind that if you use vinegar the tincture will have to be refrigerated.

Put your herbs in the mason jars and then pour the liquid over them so that it comes up to about an inch above the herbs. Seal tightly and label the jars then put them in a very dark, warm area. Keeping them in a paper bag works well. You will have to shake the jar everyday, several times a day if you can mange it.

At first check the solution daily to make sure the vodka, brandy or rum still covers the herbs. Let the mixture steep for at least two weeks and up to three months. When you reach the allotted waiting period, line a sieve with the cheesecloth or muslin and pour the liquid thru the sieve into another bottle. Gather up the ends of the cheesecloth and squeeze to extract all of the liquid. You can now fill small bottles with droppers with the tincture for ease in use. Be sure to label the jar with the name and the date.

Dandelion tea is good too. :) Good luck Racoon.

hehe dandy lion tea is a real bladder buster according to it's french name. On tinctures; I've heard of them, seen a few oil-based tinctures sitting around next to colloids in some helth food shops too, but I've no experience making or using them. So do they work in your opinion? I've had people swear by the powers of gold/silver/platinum colloids, not so much on tinctures.

On tinctures; I've seen a few, but I've no experience making or using them. So do they work in your opinion?

Couldn't hurt right? :D

1 glass of wine, or a spirit, or a beer is healthy for you. (not 1 bottle though:D )

+ Certain herbs are good for you, I hear?

Combine the two! :cup:

My experience is limited with using,and I am also finding a way of doing something with these herbs. Maybe start making herbal tinctures and extracts! ;)

Tincture (n.) 1. a solution of a medicinal substance in alchohol. 2. a tinge

Hey, its a Hobby...:)

In 6 - 7 months I can experiment on my first batches, and be able to tell within a few months from there...:)

hehe dandy lion tea is a real bladder buster according to it's french name. On tinctures; I've heard of them, seen a few oil-based tinctures sitting around next to colloids in some helth food shops too, but I've no experience making or using them. So do they work in your opinion? I've had people swear by the powers of gold/silver/platinum colloids, not so much on tinctures.

:)

Some of them work, others don't. I think it depends on what your using them for, along with concentration of herb versus oil/alcohol.

I use Lavender sprays, Cayanne and Valor oil for migraines, and it works great. Cayanne also helps with digestion and weight loss for me.

"Thieves" is another great tinture I use regularly. It's been around since the

15th-century plague and helped protect the grave robbers from getting the plague themselves. My dads uses Saw Palmetto daily and swears by it.

I've never tried the colloidals myself....heavy metal poison always come to mind for some reason...especially because I have hemochromatosis, an iron overload as it is.

Interestingly Racoon, this is a similar process to that which I described in the Discussion on Kung Fu thread. After rolling the iron bar and doing iron body training, the mix we put on topocoloy is a bunch of herbs which have been immersed in vodka. Except, these are toxic for ingestion. Anyway, pretty cool. :cup:

• 2 weeks later...
Interestingly Racoon, this is a similar process to that which I described in the Discussion on Kung Fu thread. After rolling the iron bar and doing iron body training, the mix we put on topocoloy is a bunch of herbs which have been immersed in vodka. Except, these are toxic for ingestion.

Right InfiniteNow. We discussed this, those would be Linaments

and the recipes are usually closely guarded. :cup:

And they are Expen$ive!

But they do work great!!

I soaked the Dandelion Roots too long.:) they shriveled up when I dried them...my bad.

There are No failures. Only ways you learn Not to do things. :ip:

Now I need to pick some more and start over....

I'll look for some links on this.

Any input is appreciated.