Science Forums

Megacryometeors

Turtle

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the site's layout, but you might start here:

hailstones, chunks of ice, blocks of ice, megacryometeors, aerolito

It's certainly better than nothing, but it only goes back as far as 2001. How can anyone make the claim that the are increased occurrences of MCMs due to climate change?

From the accounts posted at the link above, I counted the following:

2007 - 11

2006 - 11

2005 - 13

2004 - 10

2003 - 4

2002 - 7

2001 - 1

So it appears that there is an upward trend from this limited data set. But, a vast majority of these "accounts" are unconfirmed or untested and their validity is thusly tentative at best imo. Also notice how the older accounts are much less full of substance.

So it appears that there is an upward trend from this limited data set. But, a vast majority of these "accounts" are unconfirmed or untested and their validity is thusly tentative at best imo. Also notice how the older accounts are much less full of substance.

I mentioned Charles Fort in passing early on, but it's worth mentioning one of his books specifically in order to put 'strange falls' into perspective.

The Book of the Damned was the first published nonfiction work of the author Charles Fort (first edition 1919). Dealing with various types of anomalous phenomena including UFOs, strange falls of both organic and inorganic materials from the sky, odd weather patterns, the possible existence of creatures generally held to be mythological, disappearances of people under strange circumstances, and many other phenomena, the book is historically considered to be the first written in the specific field of anomalistics.

The Book of the Damned - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As with many contoversial authors, one is best served by reading the work itself rather than relying on reviews and commentary by others. I read The Book of the Damned years ago and Fort's speculations aside, it is an outstanding record of reports from both science journals and popular publications such as magazines and newspapers. I heartily recommend it. :shade: :singer:

• 3 months later...
I almost want to read the Book of the Damned, but after seeing Evil Dead, I'll pass. Shop smart, shop s-mart! :rainumbrella:

man...when I was in NYC I worked part time at an off broadway theater and they were showing this play there...it was an evil dead musical. I'd never heard of evil dead until seeing this play like 5 times and it was HILARIOUS!

The original film is funny, too. :sun:

I almost want to read the Book of the Damned, but after seeing Evil Dead, I'll pass. Shop smart, shop s-mart! :doh:

?? Evil Dead? I don't recognize that reference.:rainumbrella: Nonetheless, Fort's Book of the Damned stands on its own merit of outstanding reportage, and I heartily recommend it. :evil: :sun:

There is nothing to fear in knowledge. - Roger Thelonious George

?? Evil Dead? I don't recognize that reference.:rainumbrella:

Oh, you're missing out on two cult classsic buddy, and I heartily recommend them.

YouTube - The Evil Dead Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Bi9mGv1J8

YouTube - Evil Dead II Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxTFqCgGNy0

In case broken, here's the link to the first preview.

• 9 years later...

i know im digging up a very very old thread, but i have a question here...

(found this thread by searching google)

have these ever been known to fall during night time?  or do they only fall during the day.

As long as planes fly at all hours of the day and night, ice builds up on aircraft and falls off at all hours of the day and night.

When not out on the ocean, I am usually up in the air flying recreationally (yes, you can fly as a licensed pilot with only one good eye). I have experienced large chunks of ice building up, and falling off the wings of my small planes. I can easily imagine very much larger chunks falling off of large commercial jetliners, explaining the supposed mystery here.

ice-as-viewed-from-cockpit.jpg

Icing on the wings and fuselage of aircraft is a well-known problem that every pilot has to be aware of.  The first thing that usually ices up is the pitot tube for the air speed indicator. Most aircraft are equipped with a de-icing system to prevent this problem.

What I find interesting is the fact that ice can build up even in clear skies, due to supercooled liquid droplets of water in the atmosphere.

Wow, this really is an old thread! How did you ever dig this one up?