Science Forums

Anabolic Steroids

Racoon

I listen to Sports Radio quite a bit.

and Lately its ALL Steroid talk in Baseball! :lightning

Barry Bonds, Balco Lab investigation

Grand Juries

Congress getting involved. yada yada yada

I have a bit of knowledge about Steroids.

Seen it many times. I have NEVER taken a steroid. (I hate needles)

Of course Steroids are not even necessary when you are in your 20's.

Heres my question however

I really think that anabolic forms of Steroids should be seen as a viable option for those who are getting older!

I'm fuzzy on the research of this so far, But Steroids given in proper doses to our aging populations - say 60 and older, would greatly increase their quality of life! :eek_big:

a 10% increase in Testosterone would make a Man feel like a Man again! :singer:

Would it reverse aging? No

But I see it as a quality of life issue in this regard...

So, without saying more at this point,

What opinions, or hopefully Facts, can the membership share??

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anti-aging/HQ00233

Testosterone. Declining levels of this male sex hormone have been linked with common complaints of aging, such as decreased energy and sex drive, muscle weakness and osteoporosis. Women's bodies also make testosterone, though in much smaller quantities than men's do.

None of these hormone supplements has convincing medical evidence to back up the claims made by anti-aging enthusiasts. And they each carry risks. For instance, even short-term use of DHEA or testosterone may cause liver damage.

It sounds like you're proposing a kind of hormone replacement therapy for men. On the surface, it seems reasonable - do you know of anywhere I could find facts about testosterone, aging, and female HRT? (besides wikipedia and google, of course).

The Sports Psychology professor, who is also the Basketball coach, powerlifting instructor, and 'Most Popular Prof' around the physical education facilities!

Mr. Arnold is Very Educated and down to Earth. :singer:

He agreed with it!

He disagrees with taking them for sports performance enhancement.:lightning

But I think the studies are lacking?

Of course his opinion, as well developed as it is, would be very hard to turn into fact. :)

As for Women, that posibility should be explored as well. :kiss2:

I think it makes sense. Dosages need to be figured out? Which steroids need to be figured out.

One problem I do see, is that once you start a Hormone Replacement Therapy, you could be stuck on it for the rest of your life.

But as you get older, it becomes a matter of your "quality" of life.

I would also like to know what facts other members have, or opinions on the potential of such an idea?

Seems I got my hands in a lot of Cookie Jars! :eek_big:

Episode 2 of 30 Days (from the author who ate nothing but McDonald's for 30 days and measured it's effect on his health) was pretty interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_Days

The second episode featured 34-year-old Scott Bridges on his quest to reverse the aging process using testosterone and growth hormone supplements. However, Scott quits after only 22 days on the program after experiencing abnormal liver functions and extreme decrease in sperm count.

Rules:

He must take daily injections of growth hormones and other medications.

He must eat better and get exercise.

He must get weekly checkups from his doctor.

Good Info InfiniteNow.

Only did now that I see it.

I believe more research needs to be done.

As advances in medical knowledge and equipment increase (LIKE THE COSTS!) - this perhaps could be a viable medical frontier?

I think whats Great is, by the time its our turn to take up the mantle of "elderly", that we should have a lot more options! :lightning

• 4 weeks later...

Well since steroids are a class of hormones, I think that some future medical advance would provide a safe and effective way of boosting testosterone levels in men.

The way I see it: if we can develop a drug that causes certain endocrine glands (in this case, the testes) to work over-time on producing a given hormone, there would be no need for risky artificial anabolic steroids...

I'm not an endocrinologist though, so I couldn't tell you :eek:

Well since steroids are a class of hormones, I think that some future medical advance would provide a safe and effective way of boosting testosterone levels in men.

Interesting MercedesB. I am glad you revived this thread a bit. :)

Problem is... You get old because you plum run out!

You run out of "juice"

So artificially injecting it would be a logical solution. Since production slows to a crawl...

But you could very well be right, about finding a way for the body to make more.

But it might be like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

:)