Science Forums

Human experimentation going on ?

Do you think that the apparition of the epidemic of HxNy (in particular H5N1) could be due to test of vivisection on humans, by putting dead animal flesh (birds) under the skin of patients ? (reminding experiments some sixty years ago ?). I also read some news speaking of kindof special units testing new anti-AIDS medicine on homeless people in big cities...do you have any info on this ?

Originally Posted by jpittelo

Do you think that the apparition of the epidemic of HxNy (in particular H5N1) could be due to test of vivisection on humans, by putting dead animal flesh (birds) under the skin of patients ? (reminding experiments some sixty years ago ?).

Could you please elaborate on this further? I would also like to see an accredited article of this test if possible. Since H5N1 in humans is one in which viral replication is restricted to the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts, I don't see how vivisection would apply. It sounds very much like some of the b.s. claims from PETA.....

I also read some news speaking of kindof special units testing new anti-AIDS medicine on homeless people in big cities...do you have any info on this

The drug being tested for AIDS prevention is Tenofovir.

These studies aren't being conducted by some secretive "special unit".

"The CDC last year launched $19 million worth of studies of it in drug users in Thailand, heterosexual men and women in Botswana, and gay men in Atlanta and San Francisco. A third U.S. city, not yet identified, will be added."

With the recent promising discoveries in 6 Macaques monkeys, (complete protection) the drug Truvada will be added to the study groups in Botswana.

Here is what CDC has to say: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/Tenofovir_Q&A.pdf

… I also read some news speaking of kindof special units testing new anti-AIDS medicine on homeless people in big cities...do you have any info on this ?
This sound remarkably like the plot of a recent popular movie, ”The Constant Gardener”, which depicts illegal pharmaceutical experimentation in Kenya and Sudan by a pharmaceutical company, with the covert assistance of the UK Foreign Office. Although this movie is fictional, it is realistic enough to be taken by confused by some viewers with a documentary, and may be the source of the “news” you encountered.

Many pharmaceutical companies take advantage to the less stringent human testing laws in less developed countries, particularly sub-Saharan African countries, where AIDS is epidemic and treatment unaffordable for most people. Whether the exchange of treatment for experimentation by the companies is ethical or not is a complicated subject.

Given the legality of such experimentation in less developed countries, I would be surprised if any individual or company would risk experimenting on houseless people in the US or other countries where the legal penalties for such are severe, and enforcement of the law taken seriously.

I can't confirm these claims...

But I DO Know/believe there is a Huge Black Market for Human Organs! :):)

This is a bit of a hijack, but in response to Racoon, what it the moral issue with people selling their own organs? If I have an extra something that I can get a few bucks for, why not? Also, I have heard how there are a shortage of cadavers for medical schools. Why not be able to be paid for your corps before death by promising it to science after your death? Even if it just covered the costs of a big fun funeral? :doh: :cup:

Bill

I can't confirm these claims...

But I DO Know/believe there is a Huge Black Market for Human Organs! :):phones:

Assuming you’re not joking, how do you know this?

I’ve a few reasons to believe such a market either doesn’t exist, or isn’t very large

• I work with a group that manages access to organs for transplant for over 10 million patients in the US. They’re asked on a daily basis, by patients desperate for needed organs, where to find this huge black market. None of them know of such a market. They do know to advise patients how one can, for enough money, conduct a private add campaign, privately perform tissue matching, and ultimately contract with a voluntary private donor to get a desired organ faster than the federally managed “waiting list” registries, an unusual approach that, though controversial, remains legal in the US.
  • I know a several surgeons and surgical assistants (I’m married to one). Several of them have experienced some rocky financial times. Though technically capable of doing so, none have been solicited to perform black market organ harvesting.
  • Despite dramatic and ongoing improvements in therapies to allow less closely matched tissues to be transplanted, successful organ transplants still rely on a large, fast organization of hospitals to match donors to recipients. Such a large, visible organization doesn’t lend itself to a black market approach.
    The exception is cornea tissue. It’s easier to match, and has a long (months, not days) “shelf life”, so, technically, is suitable for a black market. Because it’s so easily transplantable, however, there’s little shortage of it, and the condition it treats (primarily cornel cataracts) is not urgent, creating little demand for a black market
  • I know a no confirmed account of anyone having organs stolen, or selling their organs on a black market.
  • If I desired to sell my organs on a black market, I wouldn’t know how to go about doing so.

In short, I think the HBMfHO is a myth. Like third-world pharmacological experimentation, which actually exists, the HBMfHO has been depicted in a recent popular movie – “Dirty Pretty Things”. Like ”The Constant Gardener”, I suspect that many viewers consider it to be semi-documentary. Unlike “The Constant Gardener”, which presents an only slightly exaggerated, dramatized, fictionalized account of an actually practice, the medical parts of “Dirty Pretty Things” are pure fiction – the organ harvesting it depicts is technically implausible.