Science Forums

Chi

Racoon

All Right. :phones:

This is a deep topic! And will take some length to discuss. :phones:

First let me address that there is No one Scientific definition of Chi, which is accepted by all Chinese Medical Society...

Some think it is "electrical" energy; others believe its "magnetic" type of energy, while some others think it is heat or other type of energy.

But there IS Chi.

I am getting most of my current information from Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming.

Dude has some Serious Credentials!

He studied Shaolin White Crane kung-fu, Mastered Tai Chi, and a bunch of other martial arts.

He has an M.S. in Physics from the National Taiwan University.

He also earned a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue.

And has his own publishing company with Many books to his name.

Plus I'm working with some practical knowledge I have learned from my Kung-Fu training, and the Masters and advanced students around me.

So...

There are a lot of Chinese words that need to be translated and used.

But I will start with what I mentioned in the Masturbation thread, and you may pile-on and rip it apart, so should you choose. :phones:

___"According to Chinese medical and Chi Kung society, the Original Jieng which you obtained from your parents stays in your Kidneys after your birth. This Original Jieng is the source of your life and growth. This Original Jieng is converted continuously ito Chi which moves down to the Lower Dan Tien, and stays stored there in its residence for future use. The Dan Tien is located on the Conception Vessel -- one of the 8 Chi "reservoirs" in the body which regulate the Chi flow to other channels.

Dan Tien Chi is considered "Water Chi" "

Thats plenty to digest for a post.

Wow! I shoulda' broke this out sooner.

If you find these concepts absurd or false, then there are Thousands of years and Billions of Chinese brain power who would respectfully disagree.

And some other people who are influenced by Eastern Medicine...

More to come!

Great Racoon!!

This was the first instance that I cam across the ancient chinese "philosophy", If I may say so, rather reluctantly. It reminds me of muy knowledge about chakras and Yoga in the Indian system.

I do believe that there is some substance in such thoughts, which are alien to the western materialistic mind.:shrug:

All Right. :)

This is a deep topic! And will take some length to discuss. :hyper:

First let me address that there is No one Scientific definition of Chi, which is accepted by all Chinese Medical Society...

Some think it is "electrical" energy; others believe its "magnetic" type of energy, while some others think it is heat or other type of energy.

Could you point us to the scientific study of Chi? Where have we found evidence of it being electrical energy?

But there IS Chi.

What studies were done to find it? Has any study been published in a journal? Any true experiments performed to confirm it?

I am getting most of my current information from Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming.

Dude has some Serious Credentials!

He studied Shaolin White Crane kung-fu, Mastered Tai Chi, and a bunch of other martial arts.

None of that qualifies him in any way to study biology.

He has an M.S. in Physics from the National Taiwan University.

He also earned a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue.

Neither does this. All this means is that he should be able to point us to objective experiments confirming chi.

And has his own publishing company with Many books to his name.

Plus I'm working with some practical knowledge I have learned from my Kung-Fu training, and the Masters and advanced students around me.

Again, knowing martial arts makes you as qualified to talk about energy as drving a car makes me qualified to talk about areodynamics - they aren't really related.

So...

There are a lot of Chinese words that need to be translated and used.

But I will start with what I mentioned in the Masturbation thread, and you may pile-on and rip it apart, so should you choose. :)

___"According to Chinese medical and Chi Kung society, the Original Jieng which you obtained from your parents stays in your Kidneys after your birth.

If it 'stays in your Kidneys', wouldn't it be more like matter, less like energy? If it's matter, then it's material and there should be some definitive proof of chi - a picture, a sample, studies as to it's density, color, other physical and chemical properties.

This Original Jieng is the source of your life and growth. This Original Jieng is converted continuously ito Chi which moves down to the Lower Dan Tien, and stays stored there in its residence for future use. The Dan Tien is located on the Conception Vessel -- one of the 8 Chi "reservoirs" in the body which regulate the Chi flow to other channels.

Dan Tien Chi is considered "Water Chi" "

How is this regulation carried out? What are the physical and chemical mechanisms that perform this?

Thats plenty to digest for a post.

Wow! I shoulda' broke this out sooner.

If you find these concepts absurd or false, then there are Thousands of years and Billions of Chinese brain power who would respectfully disagree.

And some other people who are influenced by Eastern Medicine...

More to come!

Tradition does not equal truth. For thousands of years we believed that time passed equally for everybody. For thousands of years we believed that space was flat. Unless there are actual studies done to prove chi, it is nothing more than psuedo-science.

Chi can be generally defined as any type of energy which is able to demonstrate power and strength. This Energy can be electricity, magnetism, heat, or light.

Power, as defined by dictionary.com under physics:

The rate at which work is done, expressed as the amount of work per unit time and commonly measured in units such as the watt and horsepower

Strength is measurable as well. However, the second part of that quote is more interesting, the idea that chi is "electricity, magnetism, heat, or light". This, combined with the '8 Chi "reservoirs" ' that you talk about mean that the theory, in some way should be verifiable. We should find a place on the body which stores electricity, magnetism, heat, or light. Show us the studies.

I'm trying to add something to the forum with regard to wisdom, and from foreign cultures of which you may be completely unawares...

Which is fine, but you should be aware that on a science site, people are going to ask for tests/evidence. pgrmdave got there first, but I was going to add some skepticism to this thread.

You talk of all these energy sources/chi/etc, but what has been scientifically tested? In Western tradition, all illness is due to an imbalance in humours, which didn't stand up to scientific rigour at all.

-Will

And this is different than my chi post started just a few hours ago... how?

It is different insomuch as the information presented in it.

Seriously man, I just read the whole thread... Looks a bit like you stole my idea, except that I am asking what others think it is and you are presenting unverified claims as truth. ;)

Okay... I retract my statement above. This is very different. Completely. You're not very open to criticism here. Some good Hypo's have asked legitimate questions, but your tone was abrasive. I know you feel strongly about the concept, and it was silly of me to think that you created a chi thread immediatly after I did. No worries.

The mind has a powerful influence on where the Chi is directed. :doh:

InfiniteNow gave a great Link with the Wikipedia earlier.in his Energy Thraed; It should clarify the same concept.:)

Here are a couple more.

These are some reference points. You should realize, that when dealing with Information that can really benefit you or make you healthier-->> THAT IT ALMOST ALWAYS COSTS MONEY! :cup: $$$

InfiniteNow can attest, as well as I, that this Information We/I/He are bringing You IS NOT WITHOUT COST AND SACRIFICE!

I've Sweat some Blood for this !:) ; so If I sound a little defensive, Thats Why...

I simply tried to state that this is probably "foreign" to most of you. So give me a couple WEEKS, as opposed to a couple posts ---Before you Pile On and wreck it. OK?

I Highly encourage you to check out IN's Thread as well! :) He can only Expound and Illiterate more of what I am trying to discuss.

I am trying to add More Substance to Hypography.:)

I am NOT trying to lead you down a dark road! ;)

http://www.metta.org.uk/therap/qigong.asp

http://www.qigonginstitute.org/html/papers/QigongEmedicine.pdf. oops--having trouble with this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tai_chi

Let me tell everybody, who does not know, today a Mahavir Jayanti, the birthday of the Sage Mahavira, whose "followers" have formed the sect Jains. Not a vert distinguished sect, but the thoughts of Mahavira are indeed very inspiring!!!

Just spend a little effort, try to find about them and perhaps spend a few minutes reading them.

P.S. I do not belong to the sect Jainism, that's aside.:confused: :naughty:; and just in case you do not have much time to search, here is a link