Science Forums

Retinal Slips

It's vague, I know, but I've been wasting my time staring at optical illusions, and I decided to make something constructive of it.

The only information I can find to explain these things is horrible, and makes constant reference to retinal slips, sometimes vertical retinal slips, but nothing of horizontal...

I know very little about the anatomy of the human eye.

Help me out here, hypography! Solve a life question!

WTF is up with retinal slips?

Most of this is far beyond the retina in the processing steps. The retina gathers the raw data, and it's only after it's been sent to the various cortical regions does it get (mis)interpreted. It's basically that we do a search of all previous stimuli and make assumptions on any new stimulus based on experience.

The retina just records stuff like "light at this receptor, yes/no." There are then 3 basic color receptors (cones) that have the same on/off settings. The aggregate of all this travels back to the occipital lobe and is spread throughout other regions of the brain based on preliminary interpretations of the data.

Thanks for the response, although it's not exactly what I was looking for. Reading the term "retinal slip" made me curious, because, as you stated I thought that it was post-optical-nerve mis-translation that made optical illusions so fun, so this term "retinal slip" has me crawling up a wall.

Help me Hypography! What the hell is a retinal slip!?

It's the other type of stimulus perception in the eye... other than saccadic motion (jerky motions like watching a plant but then immediately switching your gaze to a bug to your periphery would be an example of saccadic movement).

http://www.inma.ucl.ac.be/EYELAB/neurophysio/perception_action/SP.html

Smooth pursuit is the eye movement that smoothly track slowly moving objects in the visual field. The purpose of smooth pursuit, partly, is to stabilize moving objects on the retina thereby enabling us to perceive the object in detail. It cannot be induced voluntarily, but requires a moving object in the visual field.

Smooth pursuit is a much lower movement (100 degrees/sec) than saccades. Contrary to saccades during which vision is highly deteriorated due to their high velocity, vision is maintained during smooth pursuit and allow examining the tracked object.

Once you've switched your gaze saccadically to the bug, you will use smooth persuit (or, retinal slip) to track it's motion smoothly.

It's the other type of stimulus perception in the eye... other than saccadic motion (jerky motions like watching a plant but then immediately switching your gaze to a bug to your periphery would be an example of saccadic movement).

http://www.inma.ucl.ac.be/EYELAB/neurophysio/perception_action/SP.html

Once you've switched your gaze saccadically to the bug, you will use smooth persuit (or, retinal slip) to track it's motion smoothly.

You just wanted to make me jump through hoops to get the answer!

Thanks!