Science Forums

OTC Genetic Testing

Racoon

I heard this on the Radio Yesterday;

From the show "Love Line", by a Dr., I can't recollect his name at the moment(dang..)

He said within a couple months there will be an Over The Counter Test Kit you will be able purchase that will tell you if you have the gene(s) responsible for Alcoholism ??

Do you think OTC genetic testing will evolve to the point where you can walk down the Isle and get a genetic test that determines certain genetic inevibilities?? including cancer(s), mental disorders, and the like?

Is OTC Genetic Testing such a good Idea???

What about Employers who upon finding out you're Genetic 'Quirks' decide not to hire you because of 'red flags' they may not have known otherwise?

Will Jobs get to the point of hiring only genetically 'fit' persons, and is that ethical? (like in the movie Gattica)

The Future is Here Now,

Racoon

Was that guy on the radio just full of bull??

You can check your Genes for Alcoholism like you could buy a Pregnancy test?

I can hear it now:

"Oh, honey, before we do this, we need to go by the store and get that Gene test done on you before we think about using the pregnency test;But even if you're positive You'll at least know to go to 12 step"

:lol:

I am still seriously wondering if Big Companies are to Gene Screen their employees. Would that be likely or possible?

It would make sense from a Business standpoint.

...What about Employers who upon finding out you're Genetic 'Quirks' decide not to hire you because of 'red flags' they may not have known otherwise?

Will Jobs get to the point of hiring only genetically 'fit' persons, and is that ethical? ..

I suspect not. At least in the US, the cost framework of the healthcare system is out of control. Part of the problem is that employers are in the middle of obtaining health insurance for most consumers. Employers get rates based on the insurer's experience with that particular employer. Employers are thus hesitant to hire folks with known health issues becasue they (and their other employees) pay for part of it.

I suspect (although I may be overly hopeful on this) that the US will move to community rating. This would mean that for any particular geography (like a state or a county) insurance would be rated on only a small number of factors (like age and gender) and not on history or disease state.

This would take employers out of the mix. Anyone could buy insurance from any insurer. Employers thus would not see any cost difference between a high-utilizer and a low utilizer, with the exception of the cost of missed workdays.

Lobby your congressman/senator for community rating.

It's a cute idea. I call bullshit, though: http://www.peele.net/lib/atlcgene.html

The concept of home, or over the counter genetic testing and manipulation is inevitable. All things of scientific nature become more accessible to the public as time goes on.

That said, I'm excited by any progress made in the field of genetics. If we make the seemingly inevitable step to being able to design our children, I'm sure there will be miles of red tape not unlike those already set up to keep employers from discriminating against minorities and people with mental handicaps, etc.

Cool ****, though, eh? If this is your preferred flavor of genetic research, have a look into the human genome project: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/home.shtml

I was very close with some of the persons involved. It's crazy stuff.

• 3 months later...

This has been in debate for sometime. Like i read somewhere they are going to implant chips on you and tag you with all your biological information then virtually anyone can access it. It is unethical in a sense that everyone does not get equal oppurtuinity anymore, thus any information about it should be made confidential. Job application forms should not requier such intrusive genetic informations to be provided. Maybe only medical doctors should access it? I don't think many people would want to go for OTC testing though, cost is one problem, fear of what to expect is a bigger issue. Unless governments unethically make it compulsary. On a macro scale though, it could advance nations who would like to manage people in terms of their potential health, talents ect, treating them as nothing more than money making minions. Unethical