Music forum

anglepose

should there be a music forum for music things  

1 member has voted

1. 1. should there be a music forum for music things

• yes
    • no

• 1 month later...

I think the Music forum is a complete travesty. I thought after reading this title and reading what's in the music forum today that it's not really active. I understand that Music is an interest but scientifically or technologically it's not proving to be successful. Personally, I think that the name of the forum should be changed, Music and other subjects normally come together under one title, for example Zoology is under Biology.

Music would be better under a title called Arts, as all other subjects that don't have their own forums questions could be included here. Subjects such as Music, Art, equine business science, there are many others and all could be included here. Although it wouldn't contain the original forums such as History or Theology or Philosophy which we currently have.

Wavelengths and the science of Music is actually studied in Physics and could also be discussed in the Physics forum if it was deleted, which I believe it should or changed the name to Art. 14 people or so have voted for it yet 14 people aren't using it fully or to an extent of it being alive so to speak.

I don't mind it being there, I just believe that it should be considered what I said for the best for the site. So what do you think about what I've said. It has been talked about since 3-26-06 and what do you think?

Your ideas are welcome but understand that the music forum was only created a few weeks ago and some of the people who wanted it (like myself) are busy with other things atm. It takes a while for forums to grow.

The art perspective is probably where we will be moving eventually but we will need champions for the different (future) sections.

I agree that certain aspects of music are studied in physics - but the forum is called "music studies". When I was a music undergrad we did acoustics 101 and similar stuff, but it was always related to the music studies, so it's relevant *when* it applies to music.

The votes above is not an indication of anything...the poll was started a year ago so it is hardly statistically relevant. ;)

I like it a lot, but I'm a bit biased being a musician. ;)

It certainly is not for everyone, but then again you could say that about a lot of threads here for any given person.

That said, I don't agree with the Art classification as music is equal parts math. Sure a lot of physical concepts of music can be discussed under physics, but what about music theory? I'm sure the physics geeks wouldn't be able to tell me much on this subject. There are also other scientific endeavors to be had with music. Anyone ever tried to match Kepler's music of the spheres to tonal harmonics? Should that really be discussed in Physics?

The Music Studies form is a bit too new to be judged for popularity as I suspect a lot of people have not noticed it yet. Give it a little time eh?

Ok, it was just a suggestion ;), I take offence to " Physics geeks ", by the way :lol:.

Just be careful because if people come to join the forum primarily or around the Music/Arts forum area, they will want discussion and if they don't find suitable discussion, they will get bored and leave right now. If more topics were introduced from those that know, itwould probably prosper. :doh:

Ok, it was just a suggestion ;), I take offence to " Physics geeks ", by the way :lol:.

Well I certainly did not mean anything derogatory by my statement, so I retract it. I suppose I see geek as a good term and used it as such without considering the negative implications it has. I love physics! I am a geek, nerd, whatever and proud! :doh: But I should not have rooted my conversation upon my own beliefs and assumptions and for that I am truly sorry that I offended you.

Just be careful because if people come to join the forum primarily or around the Music/Arts forum area, they will want discussion and if they don't find suitable discussion, they will get bored and leave right now. If more topics were introduced from those that know, itwould probably prosper. :)

I dig your subtle hint and I'm off to bulk it up a bit. ;)

I am truly sorry that I offended you.

I dig your subtle hint and I'm off to bulk it up a bit. ;)

Great, thanks. :hihi:, will definitely help the forum a lot;)

Just thinking, to get it used more often thus increasing it's popularity among other members, maybe we should move the threads in the watercooler section into the Music Forum. There are two which could be moved: Whatare you listening to right now? and Stupid Lyrics, the first one isn't used as much and would be revitalised if put into this forum, d'ya think it's a good idea? :doh:

Great, thanks. :hihi:, will definitely help the forum a lot;)

Just thinking, to get it used more often thus increasing it's popularity among other members, maybe we should move the threads in the watercooler section into the Music Forum. There are two which could be moved: Whatare you listening to right now? and Stupid Lyrics, the first one isn't used as much and would be revitalised if put into this forum, d'ya think it's a good idea? ;)

I would agree that "what are you listening to right now" could find a place in the music studies forum, especially if someone took the time to analyze all the data input. :doh:

Stupid lyrics, eh, I don't know about that one based on the title, but I've never looked through it.

Perhaps a solution to the unpopularity problem could be an influx of ideas from other schools of thought. Challenging people to cross over their normal boundaries is not easy to do, but it's not improbable. Physics and Math factor into music so there is much to be said from both parties.

I really do have to say, that since I moaned about the Music Forum, or lack thereof, people have really taken on board my comments and my suggestions as of late. I visited the whole forum just there and for the first time, it's actually alive, whereas was dead and buried before. I have to deliver praise to myself for tis valuable contribution and uplift I delivered to the entire Music Forum. :sleeps: