Science Forums

Comic Books

Racoon

Ok, so I am a Dork.

I really dig Cool Comics...

Do you really understand their Cultural Impact??

You might dismiss them as male teenage fantasy.

You Might even say they are Corrupting...:phones:

There is an Art and Storytelling factor that make Comic books undeniable.

Yes, there is a lot of crap. Same with other traditional mediums.

But,You know Quality when you see and read! :singer:

OF popular Mass Media and Movie making; do you realize the Number of influences from Comic Books??

Spider Man and Batman Obviously. (BIG $$$!)

V for Vendetta... Comic Book movie

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... CB movie

same with Sin City, Constantine, Blade, Bulletproof Monk, and Plenty others...

Superman is coming out this Summer! same with X3.

Comics are very Adult over in Japan and Korea. Even in Europe.

I love the Blend of Art and Story..

Here is the new Comic Book thread........

I'm a dork as well.

I just bought Sandman: Endless Nights. I was bit dissappointed. Normally I like Neil Gaiman.

Signal to Noise is the best printed material eva!!

Have you read "The Rabbi's Cat?" That one is good too.

TFS

edit: It's funny how most "comic book" movie stink. I did like Sin City. They should make a movie out of Watchmen. [dream]

I listened to Neil Adams (Neil revamped Batman into his current incarnation as a dark figure) talk on the radio about comics the other night. He took some delight in pointing out comics are neither comical for the most part & neither are they books.

He also talked at some length about his part in advocating for the two guys who created Superman as they were screwed for decades on their rights & royalties for their creation.

I read comics some as a kid, but then as now the cost was hard to justify.:naughty:

advocating for the two guys who created Superman as they were screwed for decades on their rights & royalties for their creation.

I read comics some as a kid, but then as now the cost was hard to justify.:evil:

Many Golden Age creators and artists got the Royal Shaft when it came time to get paid for their ideas...(when their ideas started paying off )

There is a fund that helps these old geeks out...But its kind of too late.

Comics have gone up in price, but so has the quality of ink and art and graphic design..,but I know what you mean.

Here are two links that I recommend for buying Good, Funny Stuff!!! :hihi: :hihi:

http://www.whatisdeepfried.com Beepo and Roadkill are the Funniest!

http://www.ripoffpress.com

the first is my favorite. Funniest sh*t i've read :hihi: ; but thats me

the second is for Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, which were around during the Hippie era of late 60's and early 70's...

reprinted editions and Collected graphic Novels.

Still relavant today...

The laughter DOES justify the costs in these cases!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a dork as well.

I just bought Sandman: Endless Nights. I was bit dissappointed. Normally I like Neil Gaiman.

Signal to Noise is the best printed material eva!!

Have you read "The Rabbi's Cat?" That one is good too.

edit: It's funny how most "comic book" movie stink. I did like Sin City. They should make a movie out of Watchmen. [dream]

Gaiman's "Neverwhere" is currently being ComicBook formatted...

Haven't read too much of his stuff, but Sandman was like you said ...Meh.:rolleyes:

I will admit here now. I work at a Comic Book store, BUT only 4 hours a week. The owner is a friend, and I help out 'cuz I'm good with Sales; So I get most of my comics at discount and on the low! ;)

Heres some More good stuff that is out...

Punisher MAX - by Garth Ennis

Hell Yes! this one is the way Punisher should be! (movie sucked) for 18 and older...

"100 Bullets" - by Azzarello and Risso. Buy the early graphic novels if you can. Great read, and the art grows on you.

"DMZ" and "Exterminators" - are good new series by Vertigo (which is a DC company which is a Time-Warner company fyi)

"Conan" - by Darkhorse, a local Portland co. is good too, but I just like Conan.

"Goon" - by Eric Powell and published by Darkhorse is also a great lil' fun read w' cool art...

TheFaithfulStone - they've been talking about a Watchmen film for years, but doubt it will get made.

Superman and X3 are gonna' be Big Summertime Movies!

Ghost Rider - with Nick Cage has been postponed till early next year...

They are also gonna' make a Wonder Woman movie among others. ;) I love Linda Carter in the original TV series. She made my Underoos rise for the first time!! :)

I've got two or three big boxes from the 60's (some 70's) in the attic. And some of my mothers romance comics from the 50"s.

Haven't read a comic in at least 30+years.

My favorites then were.

Magnus Robot fighter

The Submariner

The Archies (damn that jughead was cool/stoned)

Uncle Scrooge

Richie Rich

Weird War

Casper

The usual superman, batman, etc.

:confused: And don't tell my buddies or wife, but a loved Dot and Little Lulu :)