Science Forums

Biotechnics and the law

Dear Community,

I'm new to this science forum, and would like to thank you to admit me here.

I have a first question regarding techniques and law, in the "emotional" domain of reproductiive techniques and surrounding methods, namely :

Let suppose, at least locally, medical advances using biotechnological methods could allow to have an advanced diagnostic on "growing embryos", even after a natural fecondation.

Can the action of denying of genetical diagnostic on this embryos be considered as "help avoidance for people in possible danger", or is one step more needed (namely the result of the in utero sample taking and analysis ?)

Thanks.

J.

Can the action of denying of genetical diagnostic on this embryos be considered as "help avoidance for people in possible danger", or is one step more needed (namely the result of the in utero sample taking and analysis ?

Hi jpittelo,

Welcome aboard. This is a fun place and I am sure you'll enjoy it. As for your question, it's interesting indeed. My initial impression is that if the embryo was otherwise healthy, then denying a diagnostic such as that you mention would not be a problem at all... it could not be construed as detrimental because no help was needed. However, if there was some genetic issue which could have been resolved by early detection, but the method of detection was denied, it sounds like it could be seen as harmful... much like a pharmacy refusing to fill a prescription of life saving medicine.

Problem is, you don't know if something's wrong until you do the diagnostic, so it really gets hairy. It'd be best to study some precendent, maybe with examples like the pharmacy issue I brought up. Even though most would be loosely applied, as the technology brings in a whole new dimension, you could get a betters sense of how issues such as this have been approached in the past.

Anyway, I look forward to interacting with you more in the forums.

Cheers. :eek2: