Science Forums

Can a bacteria be made to do this?

Kayra

Before all the laughing starts, please understand that I have almost no understanding of biology, and would like to apologize in advance for any gross misunderstandings or mistakes I have made

When scientists finally figure out a way to make carbon nanotubes of any desired length, the product will likely be in such demand in such huge quantities and across so many markets that availability will be (for all practical purposes) nonexistent for a considerable time.

I suspect that most fabrication methods will have great difficulty controlling the quality of the product as well.

I think the likely solution to both of these problems would likely be to have an organism grow the structures for us. if we can find a protein that will polymerizes into a tube, with carbon at it's center, and then either dissolve or use enzymes to remove all but the carbon atoms, then a possibility exists that we could have an endless supply of perfect (or near perfect) tubes.

I guess my question for the biology experts here is, does anyone know if there are any proteins in nature that would fit this bill, and could be spliced into a fabrication vehicle like a bacteria? If not, what protein would require the least amount of modification to work in this capacity?

The only protein that I can find that comes close would be actin. It self polymerizes into a tube larger then is required, leaving ample room in its center to construct a nanotube. It can also be force to depolymerize, possibly allowing the protein to be used as a sort of catalyst and not be consumed in the fabrication process.

Any other suggestions as to what might fit the bill with the minimum amount of work?

Probably just off the wall :hihi:

I read it earlyer and I've been thinking it over, and so far I'm thinking the answer is a resounding "no" because the proteines would have the carbon locked into their structure; not locked directly to the other carbon atoms as a CNT requires. the whole magic of CNts is that the carbon connect to other carbon and *only* other carbon using up all it's 'free' electrons in the process. In so doing, the carbon creates a strong structure.

maby sombebody else will have a different viewpoint; with questions like this it can take a few days for people to mull it over and reply.

When scientists finally figure out a way to make carbon nanotubes of any desired length,

I suspect that most fabrication methods will have great difficulty controlling the quality of the product as well.

The only protein that I can find that comes close would be actin. It self polymerizes into a tube larger then is required, leaving ample room in its center to construct a nanotube.

Made to do whuh?? :cup:

Actin ; as in Actin-Myosin crossbridge, like in human myofibrils?

that protein?

proteins aren't bacteria the last time someone thumped me on the head...:hihi:

Sounds like you got some cool ideas..., up in B.C. :cup:

need more clarification.

Probably just off the wall :cup:

I read it earlyer and I've been thinking it over, and so far I'm thinking the answer is a resounding "no" because the proteines would have the carbon locked into their structure; not locked directly to the other carbon atoms as a CNT requires. the whole magic of CNts is that the carbon connect to other carbon and *only* other carbon using up all it's 'free' electrons in the process. In so doing, the carbon creates a strong structure.

Sorry for the impatience :hihi:

My rather simplistic view of chemistry should prove rather interesting, if not humorous.

What I had in mind was a protein that would self polymerize helically in the presence of something like a benzene molecule (Likely there are much better choices out there), creating a lining of hydrocarbons on the interior of the helical structure.

A process of depolymerizing should remove the protein as well as the hydrogen atoms, leaving the carbon to bond with the carbon.

Ideally, the bacteria should produce, and expel the protein to the external environment. that way the depolymerizing and cracking process could take advantage of current industrial methods.

Made to do whuh??

Actin ; as in Actin-Myosin crossbridge, like in human myofibrils?

that protein?

proteins aren't bacteria the last time someone thumped me on the head...

Sounds like you got some cool ideas..., up in B.C.

need more clarification.

Yes Racoon, that Actin :cup:

Proteins are not bacteria, but bacteria can produce proteins. The intent was that the bacteria would be the fabricator for the proteins.